Our Defense is worse than you think

Scorpion05

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Jason_OTC/status/1185221943303311361[/tweet]

Also, our defense has allowed 176 points. No team with a winning record has allowed as many points at this point in the season as the Seahawks. Field Gulls highlighted this, and I confirmed that here:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats? ... NTS_SCORED

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
A lot of good people fail as HCs. Yeah, bring Quinn back.

I mean, our sack/qb hurry rates are down there with the Dolphins. The game plan should be to get them serviceable. That is it for 2019. Emphasize Russ' skills and target practice. However much we advance, it'll be on that.

iigakusei

Reaction score
Do you really think the DC has much to do with this defense?
This is Pete's defense, it is just the talent level is down some of our most talented players are not playing well (Wagner, Wright, Ansah etc.)

massari

Reaction score
But Clowney might be better than you think

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SethWalder/status/1186791223572467712[/tweet]

SNDavidson

Reaction score
File this thought in the unlikely category, is it possible Pete is adjusting on the fly midseason? With the addition of Diggs, is he admitting the base defense needs restructuring to the big nickle style? Did Bobby really lose a step or does Pete's plan need fixin? Both?

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Wanted to add, for the first couple years when Pete was here, during the assembly one of the meanest defenses in history, did he not implement quite a bit of bandit? I may be mistaken, hopefully not confusing him with Mora the Explorer. There is at least a chance we'll some of that right?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
soxhawk":22gydho9 said:
I really hope we can bring Quinn back to Seattle on the flight home this Sunday... :sarcasm_off:

You do know that Quinn and Norton run the same defense right?

2_0_6

Reaction score
The defensive points stats are skewed.. Russ' pick 6, Metcalf's fumble returned for a td, and Carson's fumble for a td all count towards the defensive scoring for some reason.

John63

Reaction score
2_0_6":kwgnta1b said:
The defensive points stats are skewed.. Russ' pick 6, Metcalf's fumble returned for a td, and Carson's fumble for a td all count towards the defensive scoring for some reason.

actually no, this is only point given up by the defense

renofox

Reaction score
massari":o0gw9gpo said:

According to this, Clowney is double-teamed more often than any other pass rusher.

Is the problem with the DL that DTs aren't taking advantage of 1v1 very often?

rcaido

Reaction score
John63":1zw1ognb said:
2_0_6":1zw1ognb said:

I added up the total. Its total 176 points allowed offense, defense, & special teams.

If you subtract Wilson pick 6, Metcalf fumble, Carson fumble, & punt return TD. That's 28pts right there.

That would be 148. We would be tied 15th best right down the middle. Also 6 teams only played 6 games compared to the 7 game Seahawks has played. So more like top 12.

I think w/ the new trade, our pass rusher gelling soon, we can get back to being a top 10 defense.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
renofox":d54w2j05 said:
massari":d54w2j05 said:

According to this, Clowney is double-teamed more often than any other pass rusher.

I would say that as well as the other DE doing nothing or next to it *cough Ziggy*

justafan

Reaction score
rcaido":2lo40ow2 said:
John63":2lo40ow2 said:
2_0_6":2lo40ow2 said:

I added up the total. Its total 176 points allowed offense, defense, & special teams.

If you subtract Wilson pick 6, Metcalf fumble, Carson fumble, & punt return TD. That's 28pts right there.

That would be 148. We would be tied 15th best right down the middle. Also 6 teams only played 6 games compared to the 7 game Seahawks has played. So more like top 12.

I think w/ the new trade, our pass rusher gelling soon, we can get back to being a top 10 defense.

You could also credit a TD from the Pitt game from a fumble returned to the 1. Took them 3 plays to get in.

Hell thats a shade over 20 pnts a game. We are top 10 by my count. lol

John63

Reaction score
justafan":3aoatwdx said:
rcaido":3aoatwdx said:
John63":3aoatwdx said:
2_0_6":3aoatwdx said:

You could also credit a TD from the Pitt game from a fumble returned to the 1. Took them 3 plays to get in.

Well heck lets credit the defense any score since you could argue the ST let them get to far on a kick or punt return. LOL that's it our defense is #1 the rest of the team is the problem. LOL the excuses are mind boggling how it's never the defenses fault.

Reality the defense did not play well either. As to top 12 really, okay if you say so,

justafan

Reaction score
John63":2muvf1im said:
justafan":2muvf1im said:
rcaido":2muvf1im said:
John63":2muvf1im said:

Well heck lets credit the defense any score since you could argue the ST let them get to far on a kick or punt return. LOL that's it our defense is #1 the rest of the team is the problem. LOL the excuses are mind boggling how it's never the defenses fault.

Reality the defense did not play well either. As to top 12 really, okay if you say so,

They started on the 1. Who do think is to blame for that TD? But if you want to blame the D for the 35 points given up on special teams and the TDs the other teams D created go for it. Its pretty basic football and math we are dealing with here.

Edit

I was wrong. I misread the drive chart on NFL sight. The starting point on that drive was the 23. So basic reading we are dealing also.

mistaowen

Reaction score
renofox":2tx3baeh said:
massari":2tx3baeh said:

Yeah it's something I notice often. Even double teamed, Clowney generates good pressure. I think going into the Steelers game on the field we had a 35% pressure rate, without him it was like 10%. He just has no one else there to help corral the QB so they step up or dump off easily. This team desperately needs another DE who can win their 1 on 1.

John63

Reaction score
justafan":3h2tf5sf said:
John63":3h2tf5sf said:
justafan":3h2tf5sf said:
rcaido":3h2tf5sf said:

They started on the 1. Who do think is to blame for that TD? But if you want to blame the D for the 35 points given up on special teams and the TDs the other teams D created go for it. Its pretty basic football and math we are dealing with here.

Yes so basic yet it only seems to apply to the defense. So does that mean when thanks to the defense the offense has to start on the 5, there by decreasing the odds of them scoring, that drive should not count against the offense then, since it made it harder, like stopping a team on the 1. Or allowing a team to hold the ball for 40 minutes (example). I am just trying to figure out why the defense gets the excuse and no one else.

and FYI I dont blame them for all the points scored by Balt. I also don't think they played well and are very good either.

I mean they are 22nd by DVOA, and not top 10 in yards, or scoring and that is even removing the 14 points from Balt.

justafan

Reaction score
John63":bzbnui74 said:
justafan":bzbnui74 said:
John63":bzbnui74 said:
justafan":bzbnui74 said:

Yes so basic yet it only seems to apply to the defense. So does that mean when thanks to the defense the offense has to start on the 5, there by decreasing the odds of them scoring, that drive should not count against the offense then, since it made it harder, like stopping a team on the 1. Or allowing a team to hold the ball for 40 minutes (example). I am just trying to figure out why the defense gets the excuse and no one else.

and FYI I dont blame them for all the points scored by Balt. I also don't think they played well and are very good either.

I mean they are 22nd by DVOA, and not top 10 in yards, or scoring and that is even removing the 14 points from Balt.

I edited my last post after you quoted my response. Pitt started on the 22 not the 1 my bad.

All the final results are a culmination how the 3 units played. They all relate and play a part on the other success or failure. Beastmode was a part of LOBs success. Wilson saved the LOB several times. And the LOB bailed out the O.

So yes if the offense struggles it could be because the special teams and defense created bad field position. Special teams and offense have created problems for the D as well. Its the ultimate team game.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Other teams have offenses that have turned the ball over as well. In fact most likely they have done so at a higher rate than our offense. You can't simply take away points from our D and act like the same couldn't be done for all the rest of the defenses out there.
Our defense HAS SUCKED ALL YEAR TO POOR OFFENSES NO LESS!!!! They have been a bottom of the barrel defense facing weak offenses with mediocre at best QB's.