Our defense vs the jet sweep

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Allow me to preface this thread with saying I'm happy we won today. A win is a win, and going 7-1 on the road is so awesome for this club!

However, if there was one issue I'd like to point out, it's our defense's inability to stop the jet sweep.

Throughout the season, teams would call the jet sweep on us and they'd get a good gain on it, then go away from it.
However, the last two games have shown our defense flat out can't stop that play. Mcvay and Turned both abused us with that play using a variety of different pre snap looks and formations.

Why is this play so difficult for our defense to stop? Is the defensive end not getting upfield fast enough? Are the linebackers not setting the edge?

The only common denominator in terms of personel is Cody Barton starting both games. Clowney played last week, but missed this game.

sutz

Reaction score
I think our DEs should start fewer plays with their hand on the ground. They need to be up and watching for the motion across the backfield and to see if there is a handoff or not.

Part of it may be the LBs, we seem to bite on the play fakes and sweep motions a bit too much. We're getting faked out of position a lot. Setting up the edge is a primary responsibility of the OLB or DE.

HawksBrazil

Reaction score
That's a great point. Opposing teams have been getting chunks of yards everytime they try to run this on us. It felt as if Carolina saw this from the Rams game and ran into repeatedly, as we couldn't stop it. Hope the coaching staff takes a good, hard look into this. Let's see if the Cardinals try the same thing with Christian Kirk next week.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Green is becoming a force, but speed is not his calling card. Nor is Ansah's, even at full strength. And with Wagner and Wright having lost a step, we're indeed getting gashed.

I think Shaquem and Barton might have to keep seeing more time in order to move towards a solution.

sutz

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2kqxma3o said:
Green is becoming a force, but speed is not his calling card. Nor is Ansah's, even at full strength. And with Wagner and Wright having lost a step, we're indeed getting gashed.

I think Shaquem and Barton might have to keep seeing more time in order to move towards a solution.
I believe BBK has some wheels, too, doesn't he?

cymatica

Reaction score
Let's add misdirection/screen plays. Coaches are failing to address this. There's something about our defensive scheme that is very susceptible to these plays. Maybe it's the whole conservative play style where players frequently let the play come to them, resulting in blockers squaring up on them and players beating them to the point of attack

HawksBrazil

Reaction score
cymatica":24jb4nvv said:
Let's add misdirection/screen plays. Coaches are failing to address this. There's something about our defensive scheme that is very susceptible to these plays. Maybe it's the whole conservative play style where players frequently let the play come to them, resulting in blockers squaring up on them and players beating them to the point of attack
I went back to yesterday's game and looked at this.
The Panthers had 72 offensive plays (42 pass attempts, 29 rush attempts and 1 sack) for 414 yards.
Out of those, 13 plays were either screens or jet sweeps (in other words, plays that try to put their players w/ blockers on the edges). They gained 122 yards in those 13 plays, for an average of over 9 yards/play. Perhaps the most concerning thing here is that the lowest gain in those concepts was a 4-yard run by Curtis Samuel (and that was from our 5-yard line), which is very unusual for such a large number of plays - players sometimes get caught in the backfield for negative yardage. They were getting easy chunks of yards, and that happened throughout the whole game.

If you take off those plays, the Panthers averaged about 5.0 yards per play, which is actually a pretty good number for the defense. But our inability to defend screens and sweeps is definitely something opposing coaches will be taking a look at. Hope we can adjust accordingly.

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
HawksBrazil":3jx9d2dy said:
cymatica":3jx9d2dy said:
The Panthers had 72 offensive plays (42 pass attempts, 29 rush attempts and 1 sack) for 414 yards.
Out of those, 13 plays were either screens or jet sweeps (in other words, plays that try to put their players w/ blockers on the edges). They gained 122 yards in those 13 plays, for an average of over 9 yards/play. Perhaps the most concerning thing here is that the lowest gain in those concepts was a 4-yard run by Curtis Samuel (and that was from our 5-yard line), which is very unusual for such a large number of plays - players sometimes get caught in the backfield for negative yardage. They were getting easy chunks of yards, and that happened throughout the whole game.

If you take off those plays, the Panthers averaged about 5.0 yards per play, which is actually a pretty good number for the defense. But our inability to defend screens and sweeps is definitely something opposing coaches will be taking a look at. Hope we can adjust accordingly.

Thank you for the numbers breakdown!

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
HawksBrazil":ityq8zdt said:
cymatica":ityq8zdt said:

Solid post right there!

cymatica

Reaction score
HawksBrazil":257mi4q1 said:
cymatica":257mi4q1 said:

Sounds about right. I am no X and O guru, but just from the eye test, it looks like the main factor is players unable to come off blocks. It looks as if they are trying to hold their ground on the blocks, instead of trying to shed them, or taking horrible angles in pursuit resulting in being easily squared up on.