Outside the box pick @ 32

twelthmanfan

Reaction score
KAREEM MARTIN, DE
SCHOOL: NORTH CAROLINA | CONFERENCE: ACC
COLLEGE EXPERIENCE: SENIOR | HOMETOWN: ROANOKE RAPIDS, NC
HEIGHT/WEIGHT: 6-6 / 272 LBS.

Former North Carolina head coach Butch Davis did an extraordinary job of identifying and recruiting defensive linemen to the Tar Heels. His success has been played out on draft day with UNC earning a reputation as "D-Line U" with former Tar Heels Sylvester Williams (Broncos, 2013), Quinton Coples (Jets, 2012) and Robert Quinn (Rams, 2011) earning first round selections the past three years. Martin possesses the frame to earn similar consideration and is hoping to continue the Tar Heels' impressive run. Despite beginning his tenure at UNC with plenty of fanfare after earning starts in the first three games of his collegiate career, Martin's time in Chapel Hill has featured more flash than dominance. After consecutive four-sack seasons during his sophomore and junior years, Martin totaled 11 sacks in a breakout senior campaign that earned him an invitation to the Senior Bowl. Martin continued his strong senior campaign in Mobile, with a solid week of practice and four tackles (including 1.5 for loss) during the game, itself. So where was this production earlier? The truth of the matter is, Martin is better against the run that the pass and has been effective in this role throughout his career, averaging nearly 15 tackles for loss a year over the past three seasons. His game is built upon his length and power to control at the line of scrimmage rather than burst or fluidity, making him an ideal base (left) end in a traditional 4-3 alignment.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Anthony Barr, is not as outside of the box as it wasn't someone I though we could get. Considering he is a LB/DE tweener. His stock has dropped and I think a talent like him would be a great addition to our DL.

Chawker

Reaction score
One name that I don't hear to often is Gabe Jackson G Miss. st, well, not really outside the box. But, still he's not talked about much either. 8)

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":1x506z2u said:
I'm going to go way outside the box. Billy Turner.
That's a good one. I could see that actually happening. Depends on how many Tackles get taken in round 1.

cover-2

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":1igr5u56 said:
Outside the box? I'm going way outside: (Clemmons gone, Avril 1-yr left, who's the new Leo?)

Trent Murphy, DE, Stanford, 6-5, 252, 33-7/8"ARMS, *11-1/8" HANDS*, 4.86/40, (pro day 4.72-4.75) 1.63-10yd, 19-reps, 35-1/2" VERTICAL, 118" broad jump, 6.78 3-cone, 4.20-20yd shuttle. Currently #71 overall at cbssports.com. (Underrated! Watch him shed blocks, 10-yd, 3-cone + explosive #' say he's special.)
2011: 40-TKLS, 10-TFL, 6.5-sacks, 1-PD.
2012: 56-TKLS, 18-TFL, 10-sacks, 1-Int (40-yd TD), 5-PD, 1-FF
2013: 62-TKLS, 23.5 TFL, 15-sacks, 1-int (30-yd TD), 6-PBU, 7-PD, 7-QBH, 2-FF & 1-blkd kick.

""Instinctive defender. Locates the ball and is a high-motor player. Functional flexibility.....Plays with a degree of toughness and physicality that every coach will appreciate..... A former steer-wrestler and plays with this mentality"". Like Allen (6-5, 260), he's one of the tougher, more ornery players I've come across. I think he'll ultimately out-play his draft selection, ""
Compares to: Jared Allen; http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/play ... ent-murphy

FILM: Here comes the boom. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... Mx35rVhmvk
:49ersmall:

Good call on Murphy! He defiantly has some of the traits that coach Carroll likes in his Leo. I could see the Patriots taking Murphy in the 1st round, he fits the mold the Bill Belichick likes in his OLB's.

Here is some more highlights of Murphy.
[youtube]LfKf8QsA6-E[/youtube]

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
""Good call on Murphy! He defiantly has some of the traits that coach Carroll likes in his Leo. I could see the Patriots taking Murphy in the 1st round, he fits the mold the Bill Belichick likes in his OLB's. ""

Every tape I watch of Murphy's, I can't help but note how he consistently gets off blocks and how he is seldom blocked out on a wide arc in pass pro (like Bruce on nearly every rush). Strong hands, relentless, quick & flexible & he's not totally reliant on just the speed rush as his only weapon to rush the QB (like Bruce).

I recently read somewhere that Harbaugh recruited Murphy to Stanford and that Harbaugh loves this kid. IIRC, the whiners have multiple 2-nds, leading me to believe that if PC/JS want Murphy, it'll likely take the #32 pick to do so. I'd be in favor of that move followed by OT/WR picks in the subsequent rounds. I'd hate to see Murphy drafted by any other NFC-West team, he's going to be great in this league - Bank on that!

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I would also add Jimmie Ward (S, NIU).

Seattle's defense absolutely hinges on the FS position. It's not altogether reasonable to expect Thomas to elude injury every year. Having a capable redundancy there is absolutely critical for our defense. And we win on our defense.

Ward doesn't have Thomas' all world range. But he has far above average range. The hope is, you don't have to use him. But our window is ultimately finite. Losing Thomas so fundamentally changes our likelihood for success in that limited year timeframe.

And it's not as if Pete couldn't find ways to get him on the field producing outside of a backup role.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Chawker":mczjijtp said:
Outside the box.....ok

Our defence is a plug an play defence, hell we don't need to draft ANY defensive players at all. "We lost two DE"!!!! OH NO, THE SKY IS FALLING! Look start Wright, Wagner & Smith move Irvin to DE with Avril. Smile. We could trade Earl Thomas and be fine. Yeah! ok, trade ET to the Texans and we draft Clowny. How did I do?
We got production out of the DE last year due to depth at the position - look for it to drop off if we don't get somebody in there. And Avril is out of here next year. We need a DE in the draft.

danp1990

Reaction score
Chawker":40tpjfao said:
Outside the box.....ok

Our defence is a plug an play defence, hell we don't need to draft ANY defensive players at all. "We lost two DE"!!!! OH NO, THE SKY IS FALLING! Look start Wright, Wagner & Smith move Irvin to DE with Avril. Smile. We could trade Earl Thomas and be fine. Yeah! ok, trade ET to the Texans and we draft Clowny. How did I do?

Awful! Trade E.T? are you sane!??? we lost Red Bryant,Chris Clemons,and a very capable 3 Tech in Mcdonald very,VERY! UNDERRATED!!!. we will most likely draft the following positions to not only fill in Depth but also to add competition on those areas...= OL,DL,CB,Safeties,LB's,and WR. i look for us to trade out of our 32nd pick or 64 to pick up multiple picks, a lot like the 2011 Draft where the Hawks also had no 3rd round Draft choice http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/2011 ... o-detroit/

two dog

Reaction score
Kareem Martin. His short shuttle is quicker than Clowny and his 10 yard is only .05 off Clowny's time.
Hawks coaching staff will maximize his use by first lighting his fires and limiting his snaps.

Wanna go way outside the box? Paul Richardson can do things few other WR in this draft can do.

billio155

Reaction score
I can't see us drafting a CB in the first. Can you imagine a rookie being paid more than Sherm,(if the extension doesn't work out) or Max? They would eat a first round CB alive in the locker room. The truth is our system has one flaw...we do such a good job coaching up lower draft picks that it makes life very hard on first round picks. Think about it, you are 20 years old and are suddenly one of the highest paid players on a team oozing with lower round talent. For this reason alone I think we will trade down a bunch in this draft.

Latest posts