Overtime rule

Torc

Reaction score
I think the point of the overtime rule is: The teams get 60 minutes to determine which of them wins the game. If they fail to do so, then the rules introduce some luck into the equation, since a tie game is undesirable.

The luck involved isn't a problem, it's the fix. It's only brought into play because both teams failed to win in regulation.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Stylistically, I also prefer the college football overtime system. It gets both offenses and defenses on the field, and it's more exciting to watch the back and forth. Maybe it's because I am a fan of chess.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Torc":192bodck said:
I think the point of the overtime rule is: The teams get 60 minutes to determine which of them wins the game. If they fail to do so, then the rules introduce some luck into the equation, since a tie game is undesirable.

The luck involved isn't a problem, it's the fix. It's only brought into play because both teams failed to win in regulation.

There should be a fight to the death. That would motivate both teams to make sure the score wasn't even at the end of the game, one way or another.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Really? Denver fans are whining about "fixing" overtime rules yet again because their beloved Peyton Manning didn't win the game? Again? The overtime rules were already fixed to allow Peyton Manning to get a chance at the ball if the other team scored a field goal. Used to be you could get just past mid-field and kick a long field goal to end it.

The stench of their sense of entitlement is an awful smell.

BocciHawk

Reaction score
I have to just mention that any change that would result in more ties would just be flat out completely unacceptable to the vast majority of NFL fans. This is not soccer. This is not hockey.

I also suspect that any college style or high school style overtime where teams alternate possessions starting from the opponent 20 or 25 would just be ridiculously long, stupid, and pointless. This isn't real football, it's a way to avoid ties.

Any suggestion that the game should just end at the end of the fourth quarter, or each team should get one possession and if they are tied, it's a tie, those suggestions suck.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":2j2rec9j said:
Really? Denver fans are whining about "fixing" overtime rules yet again because their beloved Peyton Manning didn't win the game? Again? The overtime rules were already fixed to allow Peyton Manning to get a chance at the ball if the other team scored a field goal. Used to be you could get just past mid-field and kick a long field goal to end it.

How many Denver fans are whining about changing the rules?

There seems to be a lot of mileage out of this based on Deion Sanders and one sportswriter in Denver on the forum. I wonder how it actually reflects reality.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":36wy7nws said:

They have no footing on which to complain. The Seahawks won the game fair and square under the current rules. And if our defense had been allowed to take the field in overtime, they would have shut down Peyton Manning and won the game that way.

themunn

Reaction score
The Broncos had 10 other possessions on which they could have scored points on to win the game.
Moaning because they didn't get the last one is tough luck

volsunghawk

Reaction score
hawknation2014":qosm0a4e said:
Stylistically, I also prefer the college football overtime system. It gets both offenses and defenses on the field, and it's more exciting to watch the back and forth. Maybe it's because I am a fan of chess.

I absolutely hate the college football overtime system.

Maybe it's because I am a fan of football.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
volsunghawk":11jmkx91 said:
hawknation2014":11jmkx91 said:

I'm also a huge college football fan, so there's that.

:th2thumbs:

volsunghawk

Reaction score
hawknation2014":2vnq0dxh said:
volsunghawk":2vnq0dxh said:
hawknation2014":2vnq0dxh said:

I'm a huge college football fan, too. I still hate the college OT. It's a bastardization of actual football.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
bmorepunk":1fu8vuxw said:
Good work, Shadow.

Thanks, bmore. I like your fight to the death idea, though I think we need to work a cage match into the mix somehow.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
volsunghawk":17akso55 said:
hawknation2014":17akso55 said:
volsunghawk":17akso55 said:
hawknation2014":17akso55 said:

I'm a huge college football fan, too. I still hate the college OT. It's a bastardization of actual football.

Could not disagree more. Giving the winner of a coin flip an 8-16% advantage is a bastardization of football.

The back and forth of a college football overtime is pure awesome.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
College OT is fun to watch if you don't have a dog in the fight. I would absolutely hate to have to watch my team participate in that bedlam though.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
The one question I have, is, why didn't the Broncos choose to have their offense get the ball first? I thought their offense was "The most prolific offense in NFL history"...

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
dumbrabbit":3918wkbr said:
The one question I have, is, why didn't the Broncos choose to have their offense get the ball first? I thought their offense was "The most prolific offense in NFL history"...

They don't get to just pick whatever they want. That's why it's a coin flip. That's why it's fair.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2014":viazu3sm said:

For me personally, the stylistic nature of the college football OT system is why I cant stand it. No game clock, no kickoff, teams get the ball at an arbitrary point on the field... it's just too big of a departure from the way the rest of the game is played. It's like a shootout in hockey or penalty kicks in soccer: it feels artificial somehow. I'd rather not see the NFL go that route, and I think the system in place now works fine.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Maybe for Peyton Manning's benefit, they ought to change the rules to something where he'd be guaranteed a shot. Call the coin toss. If Manning wins the toss, he gets to decide who gets the ball first. If he loses the toss, he has to take the football first himself.

Or maybe just put two quarterbacks out on the field against each other. No defenses. No running backs. No receivers. Just two quarterbacks, mono-a-mono with a football. Duke it out.

RiverDog

Reaction score
If the complaint is that too much of an advantage is given to a completely random event such as a coin toss, then why not find something objective, such as the team with the most first downs gets to choose?