Passing game is unacceptable for an NFL offense

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Fitzpatrick had more than 400 yards passing today. It goes both ways.

Yes our passing game is below average, but I'd much rather have issues passing the ball than running the ball.

Which offense would you rather see, our air attack from the past few seasons or this season's nasty running attack. IMO it all starts with the running game.

sutz

Reaction score
Passing game is unacceptable for Fantasy Football fans.

:twisted:

justafan

Reaction score
mistaowen":ry4a8di8 said:
Chawker":ry4a8di8 said:
We lost the ball passing..... Now times that by 4 the game would have been really out of touch.

Russell had 6 pass attempts going into half time.

Mcvay must be a real idiot if he cant beat Pete by more than 5 points with all that talent.

strohmin

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":3d0cfefj said:
Coug_Hawk08":3d0cfefj said:
Can not win consistently running 60%+ of the time. Too much clock, too high of expectations on low percentage pass plays. It’s a dumb strategy in today’s nfl.

Complete non-sense. It helped keep the Rams offense off the field. They usually score 40+ at home, they got 36 off a short field from a fumble.

I agree. Running is not the problem. It is the dumbass pass plays that are called. 3rd down empty set sacks are a surefire way to lose.

OP
OP
mistaowen

mistaowen

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":o4a20eow said:

Yes our passing game is below average, but I'd much rather have issues passing the ball than running the ball.

Which offense would you rather see, our air attack from the past few seasons or this season's nasty running attack. IMO it all starts with the running game.

You’re completely ignoring my point. Not sure if purposely. I don’t want to see a 40 pass per game offense. Field gulls had a great break down of our play calling with schotty, essentially saying almost always will call a run on second down. Russell at one point was 8/8 on play action, against a run blitzing defense, and they chose to exploit their single high aggressive coverage once I think. Peters had been awful in man and was on an island all game, never really trying to beat him deep. Offense cannot move the ball if passing game is needed.

It’s the Jets with Sanchez under him. I am watching identical pitfalls, a great run game that cannot function if they need to complete passes unless it’s against prevent except Russell is considerably better than him.

chris98251

Reaction score
Oh your talking about that article that said Wilson is past his prime and washed up? Yeah I want to use that as my resource much like Bleacher Report or Florio.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
mistaowen":2g5a20q6 said:
Hawk-Lock":2g5a20q6 said:

You’re completely ignoring my point. Not sure if purposely. I don’t want to see a 40 pass per game offense. Field gulls had a great break down of our play calling with schotty, essentially saying almost always will call a run on second down. Russell at one point was 8/8 on play action, against a run blitzing defense, and they chose to exploit their single high aggressive coverage once I think. Peters had been awful in man and was on an island all game, never really trying to beat him deep. Offense cannot move the ball if passing game is needed.

It’s the Jets with Sanchez under him. I am watching identical pitfalls, a great run game that cannot function if they need to complete passes unless it’s against prevent except Russell is considerably better than him.

I understand your argument, and it make sense. My answer to your point is that the coaches probably don't trust the roster to execute all those plays. We are extremely limited in the WR and TE group. I also think the coaches are afraid of falling behind on the sticks. They'd much rather play it conservative and predictable and run the ball on first down than take the chance of an incomplete pass or a sack on first down. As of now we are a conservative offense both on play calling and passing ability.

mrt144

Reaction score
knownone":xksm9fi6 said:
I honestly don't think this is a Schotty problem.

I think the lack of a cogent passing game is. It just cant get it done based on the routes, the protection, the QB. They look out of their depth when having to drive down the field out of necessity. Its almost slothful and tentative.

OP
OP
mistaowen

mistaowen

Reaction score
mrt144":6e3ae33m said:
knownone":6e3ae33m said:

I think the lack of a cogent passing game is. It just cant get it done based on the routes, the protection, the QB. They look out of their depth when having to drive down the field out of necessity. Its almost slothful and tentative.

Offense was 2/9 on third. The entire identity of r-r-p is to make third downs easy and it’s been the opposite. Predictable third down passes did nothing to move the pocket against a defense showing their hand early and getting easy pressure up the middle. Again, they can’t move the ball when defenses adjust to defending run on first and second and need to pass it.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
mrt144":24im52w8 said:
knownone":24im52w8 said:

Our offense is successful when we can control the game. When we obviously have to pass, we have not shown an ability to execute consistently through protection, routes, timing, etc. I think we're capable, but we have yet to get comfortable with passing in Schotty's offense. In fact, I felt more confident passing when Bevell was here, which is weird to say.

hawk45

Reaction score
I love the run blocking and the YPC is eye popping. I'm fine with running a ton in fact prefer it.

It's just...with that dominance it's remarkable to me that when we do pass we cannot leverage that best in NFL run threat to get some easy completions. The pass offense should be in tall cotton when it has to function and instead you'd swear you were watching a team with no run threat where the D knows exactly what pass play is coming.

I do not know what to make of it. Sure feels like a coaching failure.

BubbaGump

Reaction score
Why did we only have one seam route from anyone? It went to Dickson late in the game. I’m sitting at home telling my 10 year old son what routes we are running on the sidelines like I’m Nostradamus.we seem to neglect the middle of the field and it’s infuriating watching others teams attack us there over and over. Just my 2 cents.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Wilson is overrated . Why pay him 35 million a year to do a job any descent QB could handle this offense can't throw for a reason . Wilson is simply unable to find a WR quickly over the middle because he can't see the field, it's holding back this offense. WE ONLY HAD SUCCES WHEN WE AVERAGE 5 YARDS A CARRY EVERY TIME WE HAVE TO THROW IT BECOMES A CRAP SHOW. You don't give a QB top 5 money to be a game manager Wilson cannot carry an offense.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
sutz":2l77abs7 said:
Passing game is unacceptable for Fantasy Football fans.

:twisted:
Actually you are wrong. I started Russell and did well. TD’s count more than yards. That said I do hope Shotty adds some less predictable wrinkles to our passing game. When we score 31 and lose though I’d think it would be the defensive side of the ball that was more of a problem.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":3ms0tzrc said:
Wilson is overrated . Why pay him 35 million a year to do a job any descent QB could handle this offense can't throw for a reason . Wilson is simply unable to find a WR quickly over the middle because he can't see the field, it's holding back this offense. WE ONLY HAD SUCCES WHEN WE AVERAGE 5 YARDS A CARRY EVERY TIME WE HAVE TO THROW IT BECOMES A CRAP SHOW. You don't give a QB top 5 money to be a game manager Wilson cannot carry an offense.

Why troll with this negativity? The thread was mostly constructive and thoughtful before this crap. Unlike Goff Wilson didn't have 10 seconds to throw all day and wide open receivers every drop back. 2 out of 3 of his TD passes were tight window throws

mrt144

Reaction score
BubbaGump":1d4oload said:
Why did we only have one seam route from anyone? It went to Dickson late in the game. I’m sitting at home telling my 10 year old son what routes we are running on the sidelines like I’m Nostradamus.we seem to neglect the middle of the field and it’s infuriating watching others teams attack us there over and over. Just my 2 cents.

That 3rd and 5 conversion to Baldwin later in the game on an out route- I'm like 'great getting the first down' but even I knew that was going to be his route and I'm no Carnac. And the middle of the field was wide open because they were in a nickle set with the other LB covering on the other side of the line but we just don't run routes like that nor do we seem to try to do but the bare minimum to convert on passing downs. It isn't just on that play but we still run an absurd amount of curl routes (yes they are the most popular route in the NFL, but sheesh) that severely inhibits yac (also the route with the least yac - both come from Football Outsiders)

I know that Pete et al would never admit this but a passing game that consistently move chains seems like an afterthough that they hope just comes together when it needs to rather than something they put much thought into.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Scorpion05":18vokrpw said:
Northwest Seahawk":18vokrpw said:

Why troll with this negativity? The thread was mostly constructive and thoughtful before this crap. Unlike Goff Wilson didn't have 10 seconds to throw all day and wide open receivers every drop back. 2 out of 3 of his TD passes were tight window throws

So your saying the O-line is the reason our passing game is underperforming OK but Wilson is the QB and he just can't seem to make the plays when we need them. He's a good QB he's not an elite QB at all if they pay him 30 plus million a year your going to see alot more 7-9 season's.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
One glaring thing I noticed..well two, we cant stop the run and we really missed fluker.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":dfu3rj1g said:
Scorpion05":dfu3rj1g said:
Northwest Seahawk":dfu3rj1g said:

So your saying the O-line is the reason our passing game is underperforming OK but Wilson is the QB and he just can't seem to make the plays when we need them. He's a good QB he's not an elite QB at all if they pay him 30 plus million a year your going to see alot more 7-9 season's.

I'm not saying it's completely the O-line. I'm saying that we're in a new offense and Wilson is making accurate, tight window throws more often than he misses. That is simply what the film shows. What also bothers me is, if Wilson throws 40+ TDs many still will be down on him. I never see this much negativity when he streaks together great games, which wreaks of opportunism to me. Are we just going to crap on him after every loss?