Pathetic Play Calling/CLock Management in Last 3 Minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rainger

Reaction score
DYLcurry59":2j6bf2e6 said:
I know it worked out, but they completely mismanaged that last possession...

3 minutes left in easy field goal range, no timeouts and you throw on 1st down???

Run the ball 3 times, kick the field goal, make it a 3 score game.

Why did Russ go out of bounds on 3rd down???

And they didn't even go for the field goal. Odds are they weren't going to block it, let alone return it for a TD.
:pukeface:

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I think all you guys that wanted Pete to kick the FG have Haushka in fantasy. What those 13 points he got you as a freakin' kicker weren't enough?
I kid, really.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
The lack of a final field goal kept me in the top ten for this week's Pick The Score thread, so...I'm happy. :D

BigMeach

Reaction score
I believe the thought is that if they get the first down they kneel out the clock, if they don't get it the 49er's would have to go 85+ yards with no timeouts and score a touchdown and 2 point conversion, then score again and get a two point conversion.

There was less than 2 minutes left when the 49ers got the ball.

Also, there is a better chance of them blocking a field goal and scoring than their is going 85+ yards on our defense. That's where Pete's head was at (and if you noticed, he was correct, they couldn't get passed mid field in 2 minutes)

Reaneypark

Reaction score
The only way that SF would get into that game with no time outs was with a blocked FG. Pete knew it and they had a great 4th down play called that should have been a first down. Willson didn't juggle that ball, he had it held to his chest the whole time. Just another example of crappy officiating that we overcame to kick 9er butt.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
RiverDog":1rksv3gh said:
Great win, but that does not obscure the fact that we should have kicked the FG at the end of the game. It would have made a 2 score game into a 3 score game.

I also thought Pete should have challenged the play at the goal line in the first half, but I admittedly didn't see every angle and am not sure they would have seen enough to overturn the call on the field.

Nit picky to be sure.
Yeah, this is how I feel about it. I could be missing something from a fans perspective, but seems these would have been wise game decisions. I can enjoy the win just the like rest now, but those were definitely curious decisions during the game.

rjdriver

Reaction score
8)
-The Glove-":3v86zf3a said:
RiverDog":3v86zf3a said:
Great win, but that does not obscure the fact that we should have kicked the FG at the end of the game. It would have made a 2 score game into a 3 score game.

I also thought Pete should have challenged the play at the goal line in the first half, but I admittedly didn't see every angle and am not sure they would have seen enough to overturn the call on the field.

Nit picky to be sure.
What are the odds of a team scoring 2 TD's and 2 2 pt conversions in that time span? They score one TD...no TO's, we most likely just kneel it the rest of the way

To be fair, the odds are more likely than a team scoring 2 TD's and 2 2 point conversions AND a field goal. I see what the OP is saying. Passionate fans can be extremely critical of everything when they are so into the game, I do the same at times. I agree though, the odds were miniscule regardless and I'm just enjoying the win.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
To the OP.

That was a bad ass win.

Bevell called a plus game. And I am a known Bevell critic.

Get over it.

hawk45

Reaction score
Bevell:

Stuck with the run. Outlets and checkdowns for Russ, getting him used to working from the pocket. We eviscerated their blitzes all night long. Lynch split out and Turbin all alone for six. Baldwin on a crosser trailed by a LB allows Russ to get rid of the ball when facing pressure for a big gain. Pounded it in the second half. Used Michael and Turbin very effectively.

He stepped up tonight like the rest of the team.

Tical21

Reaction score
I did love the look on Pete's face when he heard the empty backfield call being recited to Russ through his headphones.

Status
Not open for further replies.