Penny And Past Hawks Backs

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":3ekobgvh said:
drrew":3ekobgvh said:
Here is every time he handled the ball. I thought he looked good, the second and third carries in particular he created positive yardage out of essentially nothing. I'd like to see an ability to break more tackles or get more yardage after contact, but all in all, I thought it was a very positive start.

My only disappointment was on the two check down receptions, where he couldn't seem to wriggle free or move the defender to try and get the extra couple yards.

[youtube]yhY0vmb-8bA[/youtube]

Fixed it for you. after the equals sign= paste.

After watching that Penny actually played better than his stats indicate. He was productive in every play that didn't have a guy in his face as soon as he got the ball. He even made some yardage on plays the defense had him bottled up and it looked like he had nowhere to go.

hawksbydesign

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":13hnh5ml said:
drrew":13hnh5ml said:
Here is every time he handled the ball. I thought he looked good, the second and third carries in particular he created positive yardage out of essentially nothing. I'd like to see an ability to break more tackles or get more yardage after contact, but all in all, I thought it was a very positive start.

My only disappointment was on the two check down receptions, where he couldn't seem to wriggle free or move the defender to try and get the extra couple yards.

Most of Penny's runs from preseason game one reminds me of Thomas Rawls, super hyper with a lack of vision to make the cut to dodge a defender. He also goes down with the first contact.

Hopefully Penny can show us more this week against the Chargers.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
hawksbydesign":39me7lvh said:
Seahawkfan80":39me7lvh said:
drrew":39me7lvh said:

Most of Penny's runs from preseason game one reminds me of Thomas Rawls, super hyper with a lack of vision to make the cut to dodge a defender. He also goes down with the first contact.

Hopefully Penny can show us more this week against the Chargers.

He doesn't remind me of Rawls more like Dickerson upright with deceptive speed and lateral movement.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":3sm0m16v said:
Seahawkfan80":3sm0m16v said:
drrew":3sm0m16v said:

After watching that Penny actually played better than his stats indicate. He was productive in every play that didn't have a guy in his face as soon as he got the ball. He even made some yardage on plays the defense had him bottled up and it looked like he had nowhere to go.
I think he was worse upon watching that several times. He had a few really nice moves, but he really showed a lack of power. One play in particular really stood out as problematic. He runs to the right side, and gets good blocking. The rusher reaches behind with one hand and then is able to get his other hand around the leg. The rusher doesn't have a good angle, and Penny just folds like a wet napkin. I don't think he looks particularly elusive or powerful. He just looks like another guy in my opinion. Nothing really is standing out. The fact that he is struggling with poor arm tackles is quite concerning. A running back absolutely has to be able to capitalize when defenders take bad angles.

A mixed bag is what his first performance was. He made a nice cut at the goal line, but he also looks far too easy to tackle for a guy with his size and speed.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1bkx0qr3 said:
Been going to draftscout, have you? Yeah, those low and high numbers aren't real. They make up and range out of thin air based, in this case, off of a 4.58.

Both Carson and Penny are clearly better athletes and that's fine. Alexander was a N/S runner who could flip gears specifically so he could set up his own blocks. That might be one of the most important aspects of being a RB.

Now, if you want to get defensive about it, there are literally tons and tons of backs that are much better athletes and that's the truth. Cristine Michael is still the top SPARQ scoring back to this day. What does that mean? Not much in his case.
Are you sure they're not taking numbers from the dashes? Players generally run the dash two or three times and they take the average of two or three runs. The NFL 40 time is highly subjective. On the field, as you can see in my Alexander videos he was out running DBs at the NFL level. Alexander was a phenomenal talent.

Carson is not more athletic than Alexander, in fact explosiveness was one of his knocks in college. He never had a run over 26 yards. He was a guy that grinded out the tough yards, and created something from nothing. On tape, Alexander looks faster than both Penny, and Carson. I really am finding the claim that they are more athletic dubious. Just look at Alexanders rookie, and second season video. He was outrunning virtually everyone on the field.

You're right about athleticism being an overrated commodity, I'll agree with you there.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3af5qpn8 said:
Northwest Seahawk":3af5qpn8 said:
Seahawkfan80":3af5qpn8 said:
drrew":3af5qpn8 said:

I think he was worse upon watching that several times. He had a few really nice moves, but he really showed a lack of power. One play in particular really stood out as problematic. He runs to the right side, and gets good blocking. The rusher reaches behind with one hand and then is able to get his other hand around the leg. The rusher doesn't have a good angle, and Penny just folds like a wet napkin. I don't think he looks particularly elusive or powerful. He just looks like another guy in my opinion. Nothing really is standing out. The fact that he is struggling with poor arm tackles is quite concerning. A running back absolutely has to be able to capitalize when defenders take bad angles.

A mixed bag is what his first performance was. He made a nice cut at the goal line, but he also looks far too easy to tackle for a guy with his size and speed.

That's one way of looking at it. We'll see if he's as bad as you think he is in the regular season. The simple fact is we don't know what we have in Penny at this point.

HawkGA

Reaction score
How does the backup quarterback pronounce his last name? The announcers were saying it like Mr. Magoo. Surely that's not right, is it?

ivotuk

Reaction score
Penny looked extraordinary when he had any kind of blocking. He looks smooth and deceptively shifty, the kind of deceptive you don't recognize until he's already run by you. It's kind of like Shaun Alexander's speed, looking at him on replays, he doesn't look fast at all, but he is still running by people. It was that forward lean, "running behind his pads," I think that made him look slower than he was.

But I go with Chris Carson's opinion on him which is pretty high. "When we do ladder runs, his feet are amazing!" Says it all as far as I'm concerned.