Percy and Jimmy: Have We Learned Yet?

farhat

Reaction score
In 2013 we won the Super Bowl and we didn't have Percy Harvin for most of the season. We appreciated his kickoff return for a touchdown in the Super Bowl, but we would have beat Denver without him. We dominated that game.

For some reason, Carroll likes to go for these big name guys. He always talks about sticking to who you are, but did he stick to who he was with the Percy and Jimmy trades? He says we are a running team. That's what he preaches. However, with Percy we became a running offense predicated on deception. It worked week 1 of 2014, but by Week 6, Percy was held to -1 yards, and Marshawn was shut down. Percy was traded that week.

Did you know that Percy Harvin cost us $7.2 million in dead money this season?! And we gave up 3 draft picks (including a 1st rounder) to acquire him. It is these kind of horomonal decisions that hurt a franchise. After the 2013 season we let go Red Bryant, Chris Clemons, Clinton McDonald, Walter Thurmond, Breno Giacomini, Paul McQuistan, and Golden Tate. If we just stuck to who we were and didn't give up the farm for Percy, you have to wonder who we could have kept.

Then, we didn't learn from our mistake of going for a big name pass catcher in a run first scheme. We traded Max Unger and our first round pick! for Jimmy Graham and the Saints' 4th rounder. I know we got Tyler Lockett out of it, but we could have drafted Lockett anyways. We lost our pro bowl center. We decided to bench Jeanpierre after preseason week 1!, and start Nowak. Our offensive line was horrible. And, it was horrible yesterday too! We finally cut Nowak. Lewis fills in and is better, but his botched snaps and not so good blocking decisions have cost us. Further, Jimmy Graham is an awful blocker for a running scheme. This season we proved that we can be an effective offense without him.

Hopefully Pete and John have learned. In a league where good offensive lineman are scarce, we cannot afford to trade them away. I would love to see us invest in what made us great when we won the Super Bowl: the offensive and defensive lines. Yesterday, we got beat in the trenches, so hopefully that will be a wake up call.

The franchises that are still in this thing right now have very little dead money. We are still paying the price for the Percy Harvin trade. Do you think we will learn?

Seahawker86

Reaction score
not even wasting my time reading this. Jimmy was starting to come on in the final games of the year.

It was the o-lines fault for the piss poor offense.

Harvin was a locker room hazard

Everyone on the roster loves Jimmy.

quit complaining about it

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Harvin was a mistake, Jimmy was a great get. I hope he can come back from injury strong. I think his return will only solidify his part on this team proving he can work harder than the rest.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Why are people thinking Graham was something bad? He was fully integrated by the Pittsburgh game and a key option that came through no less.

You and the others of your ilk should be thanking God herself that Tyler Lockett was EXACTLY what I've said from day one and developed into a primary option from the first chance he was given. Without that it was the Wilson and Baldwin Show, especially when Rawls went down and forced Pete to build the offense around Wilson for real and for good going forward. Isn't it lucky he already has 3-4 premier pass catching options? And a running option that's top tier.

We got this just fine if we fix our OL, especially the interior part of it.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
farhat":2ltfyvun said:
. Lewis fills in and is better, but his botched snaps and not so good blocking decisions have cost us. Further, Jimmy Graham is an awful blocker for a running scheme. This season we proved that we can be an effective offense without him.

One could argue that one of those bad snaps helped tremendously in winning the Minnesota game. Bevell is actually thinking of putting in the snap it 15 yards over Russell's head and then quickly throw it to Tyler for a big gain trick play. Right after a failed bubble screen to trick the defense with his brilliance.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
There's no comparing Percy to Jimmy. Pete will never hesitate to incorporate a player that can "tilt the field".

The quick passing game nullifies the need for Unger anyway.

Once we get the interior OLine fixed, we are good.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
When the team doesn't make a move on available talent, they're blasted, when they make the move for them, they're blasted. No winning. I would always rather have a team that is willing to take a chance to bring in players to put us over the top rather than sit idly by. Harvin turned out to be a mistake. Jimmy id make that trade over again any day, who knew the injury was coming but that trade can still pay dividends.

misfit

Reaction score
One of these is not like the other.....

Seafan

Reaction score
Change Jimmy to Cary and you may have something. Jimmy is a stud and I look forward to seeing him play next season.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Trading Unger was not the sin. Thinking they could replace him with an inexperienced athletic defensive player and a try hard body bad career backup in Lewis was the mistake. Or counting on drafting Morse.

Graham could easily be a 10 TD a year guy. Hardly a mistake.

seahawks08

Reaction score
Graham is a great signing, he just didn't get the rapport with RW, since RW is still not there yet, at least thats what I learnt from Pete today. He will be fine next season.

Rob12

Reaction score
farhat":3u5t5pxd said:
In 2013 we won the Super Bowl and we didn't have Percy Harvin for most of the season. We appreciated his kickoff return for a touchdown in the Super Bowl, but we would have beat Denver without him. We dominated that game.

For some reason, Carroll likes to go for these big name guys. He always talks about sticking to who you are, but did he stick to who he was with the Percy and Jimmy trades? He says we are a running team. That's what he preaches. However, with Percy we became a running offense predicated on deception. It worked week 1 of 2014, but by Week 6, Percy was held to -1 yards, and Marshawn was shut down. Percy was traded that week.

Did you know that Percy Harvin cost us $7.2 million in dead money this season?! And we gave up 3 draft picks (including a 1st rounder) to acquire him. It is these kind of horomonal decisions that hurt a franchise. After the 2013 season we let go Red Bryant, Chris Clemons, Clinton McDonald, Walter Thurmond, Breno Giacomini, Paul McQuistan, and Golden Tate. If we just stuck to who we were and didn't give up the farm for Percy, you have to wonder who we could have kept.

Then, we didn't learn from our mistake of going for a big name pass catcher in a run first scheme. We traded Max Unger and our first round pick! for Jimmy Graham and the Saints' 4th rounder. I know we got Tyler Lockett out of it, but we could have drafted Lockett anyways. We lost our pro bowl center. We decided to bench Jeanpierre after preseason week 1!, and start Nowak. Our offensive line was horrible. And, it was horrible yesterday too! We finally cut Nowak. Lewis fills in and is better, but his botched snaps and not so good blocking decisions have cost us. Further, Jimmy Graham is an awful blocker for a running scheme. This season we proved that we can be an effective offense without him.

Hopefully Pete and John have learned. In a league where good offensive lineman are scarce, we cannot afford to trade them away. I would love to see us invest in what made us great when we won the Super Bowl: the offensive and defensive lines. Yesterday, we got beat in the trenches, so hopefully that will be a wake up call.

The franchises that are still in this thing right now have very little dead money. We are still paying the price for the Percy Harvin trade. Do you think we will learn?

1) It's been stated a million times already that the Seahawks were going to move on from Unger no matter what - trade or no trade. Whether you buy that is up to you, but I think the time he missed really grated on the coaches, and they felt a move needed to be made.

2) Comparing Jimmy Graham/Percy Harvin is a fool's errand. Apples and oranges. Jimmy wants to be here. Jimmy wants to help this team win games. With PC basically saying that the Seahawks are a throwing team from this point forward, Jimmy Graham is much more valuable. It's yet to be seen if he can return to form after a devastating injury, but if he can, he is going to be an absolute monster in this offense for the next two seasons.

3) It's funny, because after the SB loss to the Pats, many here were screaming for the FO to go out and get a receiver. A big, reliable target. They did that and then some, yet people still complain.

4) We quit being a "run first" team when Marshawn showed the decline and subsequently got hurt. From there, it was Russ' offense, growing pains and all. I think the growing pains are over. We're going to be a much more balanced offense from here on out. Weeks where Russ throws the ball 40 times isn't going to be rare anymore.

5) Again, Jimmy is not a cancer. He's not working on his MMA skills in the locker room or the team hotel.

6) We didn't have a 'great' offensive line when we won the SB in 2013. We had a very good run blocking line, and a below average pass blocking line. Moving forward, the days of this team being a Power Run offense are pretty much over. I agree we need to improve the offensive line.

7) Again, you can't count on Max Unger. He was very good when he was healthy. His snaps left a lot to be desired. But I believe the team was something like 9-1 without him in 2014. At his price tag and given his injury history, it's not hard to see why the team was ready to move on.

8) Percy's dead money is now gone. They took a shot, and it didn't turn out well for them. But they moved on quickly when they realized it absolutely was not going to work.

In closing, and to repeat myself, comparing Graham/Harvin is really quite dumb.

peppersjap

Reaction score
The people who think the future of this team is as a run 1st team didn't watch the 2nd half yesterday. This offense can and will become explosive and Graham is going to be a huge addition to Baldwin, Lockett and the others whether it be Richardson or Kearse. We are also going to have a very good option when Thomas Rawls gets the ball. If your 1st option is for Wilson to hand the ball off you are wasting his talents. They were smart to stick with this option while Wilson grew and while Lynch flourished but it is time to take this offense in a different direction and Jimmy Graham will be a huge part of that.