Percy Harvin/Golden Tate fight

chris98251

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1vq2uenr said:
Percy was a weakminded *ussy, if not a word that rhymes with witch+starts with a b.

He was garbage. He had problems everywhere he went, and for some reason we traded for him when we HAD Golden Tate who could do almost as much as he could already.

He had no value to this team but to cause problems. It was a trade that gutted us of talent because we got this piece of trash, who never played but made excuses.

That led to defensive players getting resentful at his contract, while he never played. And it led to less draft picks.

And it led to the loss of Golden Tate, who could return punts and do that stupid bubble screen almost as well.

He was feast or famine, but he wasn't worth it.

Just a weakminded piece of vermin that derailed what should have been a dynasty team.

I hated the trade then. Hated him the entire time he was on this team. And almost puke everytime I hear his name. He was the first domino that derailed the future of this team.

He didn't 'join' this team. He infested it, because he was a disease.

One of the worst decisions Carroll ever made in his time as a HC was even attempting to bring this consistent excuse-monger on board.

Remember he did it because Bevell vouched for him and said he would be a difference maker and he needed a explosive playmaker.

Sold Pete with the Rice Harvin combo resurrection from Minny.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":vo4qeqjv said:
Percy was a weakminded *ussy.

Maybe weak minded, but he sure as hell wasn't a verginer. He literally stuffed another grown man into a garbage can, and Cliff Avril just called Percy a pitbull that even he wouldn't fight, even though he outweighed him by 50 lbs.

kobebryant

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":24zo0fcu said:
Percy was a weakminded *ussy

The things people will say while protected by the cloak of online anonymity. The irony doesn't go unnoticed.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, Percy might be crazy but he was not a wuss by any stretch. It's like Steve Smith, not a big dude but he wasn't afraid of anyone.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
He was weakminded. That made him weak.

Don't conflate physical strength with real strength.

Besides, you don't assault weakminded people. You isolate them and turn everyone they care about against them. Then they break. Easily.

It hurts a lot more to lose what you love than to be punched in the face.

The bottomline is that he hurt the team and he was garbage as a human being. Nothing in that interview seems to refute that. He was worthless and we paid a big price for bringing him here.

Frankly, I wouldn't even put to much credence in the garbage can thing. It sounds like he sucker punched a teammate who was not expecting it. But we don't live in the caveman days anymore, you can inflict a lot more pain on someone without physical violence than with. It proves nothing.

xray

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1veburk8 said:
Yeah, Percy might be crazy but he was not a wuss by any stretch. It's like Steve Smith, not a big dude but he wasn't afraid of anyone.
And he liked 420 :D

Smellyman

Reaction score
rcaido":2aayxiib said:
We won the Superbowl so im still glad for the trade.

Barely part of the season, one KR in a blowout doesn't matter.

He didn't do a dang thing for the Seahawks besides costing money and picks.

and locker room issues

Seanhawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2ahx3sll said:
Percy was a weakminded *ussy, if not a word that rhymes with witch+starts with a b.

He was garbage. He had problems everywhere he went, and for some reason we traded for him when we HAD Golden Tate who could do almost as much as he could already.

He had no value to this team but to cause problems. It was a trade that gutted us of talent because we got this piece of trash, who never played but made excuses.

That led to defensive players getting resentful at his contract, while he never played. And it led to less draft picks.

And it led to the loss of Golden Tate, who could return punts and do that stupid bubble screen almost as well.

He was feast or famine, but he wasn't worth it.

Just a weakminded piece of vermin that derailed what should have been a dynasty team.

I hated the trade then. Hated him the entire time he was on this team. And almost puke everytime I hear his name. He was the first domino that derailed the future of this team.

He didn't 'join' this team. He infested it, because he was a disease.

One of the worst decisions Carroll ever made in his time as a HC was even attempting to bring this consistent excuse-monger on board.

Yikes. This sounds personal.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The hyperbole goes on and on.

Percy was an exceptional athlete, but he was not a complete player, his head was broken. He could make a difference when he was used in a way that utilized his exceptional talents. Unfortunately it was rare that happened much with Bevell, or that Percy was healthy and wanted to use those talents. He rarely played for the team and blew very hot or was invisible. The team fixed his hip, and he was slow to return and then became a cancer. His career here was an expensive fail. He did have ability though.

I remember a jet sweep that was amazing and other worldly he simply ran through the other team and it was of course naturally penalized for an OLine hold or other dumb penalty. There is little question that he had exceptional ability. He was "Percy" (he only played when he wanted to play), and not unlike "Jimmy" (ill used poor fit for our team), both were 'go for it' type trades that were hugely expensive and brought little return.

Big balls Pete, loved both those players' potential, but the coaches could not get Percy to buy in except on Percy's terms which were in opposition to those of his team, acquiring both him and Graham were big FO mistakes that held the team back both in play and financially and created locker room issues.

If Percy in fact slugged Tate and if it was over Tate's behaviour with Ashton, Tate deserved what he got. Like all things there is likely a whole lot more to this story we may never fully know. That was then and this is now and it is close to be a 'who really cares' situation.

Seymour

Reaction score
jammerhawk":11fx5rtj said:
........If Percy in fact slugged Tate and if it was over Tate's behaviour with Ashton, Tate deserved what he got. Like all things there is likely a whole lot more to this story we may never fully know. That was then and this is now and it is close to be a 'who really cares' situation.

Oh he punched Tate but nothing to do with Ashton, Percy did not really like Russell either! It was because of Tates comment pre SB when asked if he was excited to get their weapon back (Percy) , and Tate pretty much said we made it this far without him, we are good either way.

Percy confronted that statement then unloaded on him. Avril confirmed that too.

olyfan63

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3ayapd1q said:
He was weakminded. That made him weak.

Don't conflate physical strength with real strength.

Besides, you don't assault weakminded people. You isolate them and turn everyone they care about against them. Then they break. Easily.

It hurts a lot more to lose what you love than to be punched in the face.

The bottomline is that he hurt the team and he was garbage as a human being. Nothing in that interview seems to refute that. He was worthless and we paid a big price for bringing him here.

Frankly, I wouldn't even put to much credence in the garbage can thing. It sounds like he sucker punched a teammate who was not expecting it. But we don't live in the caveman days anymore, you can inflict a lot more pain on someone without physical violence than with. It proves nothing.

I've posted before that based on his history and behavior ALL the way through his football career, Harvin checks nearly ALL the boxes for Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD). And the highly sociopathic flavor of it.

Percy Harvin needed to smoke pot to "calm his nerves" or whatever before pretty much every game. It's a classic BPD trait, and whether it's pot, alcohol, oxy, or whatever.

Brandon Marshall is pretty much the only celebrity/athlete EVER to publicly acknowledge having BPD. Mad props to him. Harvin does not have the courage or honesty of a Brandon Marshall (few do, in fairness) so he talks about his "anxiety disorder" to avoid being real about the situation.

People with BPD have these "toddler rage" episodes from time to time when they get angry. If you've ever seen a 3-year old throw themselves on the floor and scream when mom won't buy them candy in the supermarket checkout line, that's what we're talking about, only an adult-size version, and with adult-size violence directed at others. At Florida, Harvin grabbed his position coach by the throat and threw him to the ground. The Golden Tate situation was no doubt just another in a long line of these tantrum rage episodes for Harvin. Harvin sucker-attacked his Florida coach, and most likely sucker-punched Tate in a fit of BPD toddler rage. Tate denies the incident, as I, and most others, would expect him to.

People with BPD also do another behavior where they rearrange facts and data and sequences of events in their head to match their emotions. Then they start making up stories (lies) that align with their emotionalized version, and makes them the hero and others the villain of their stories. Then they repeat their stories (LIES) to others with *completely congruent* nonverbals and emotion, and are adept at suckering others into believing their lies. Then they privately laugh at and mock everyone they sucker with their lies. They congratulate themselves bout how they are SO brilliant, and other people are SO... STUPID!! I suspect some of Harvin's injury malingering that frustrated Pete had elements of this.

So you can expect a Harvin interview to contain quite a few compelling LIES that he actually has repeated enough to himself that he can no longer distinguish his lies from the objective reality of what happened. However, included in their lies is often enough "accidental truth" that over time, when you compare their stories with other accounts, you can get closer and closer to the truth. So, BPDs also come up with strategies to keep people and groups they interact with from comparing stories. Strategies like going to a new social group/relationship and posing as a victim of their previous social group/relationship, which then polarizes the new against the old and keeps the new and the old from talking and comparing stories. BPDs also will go around planting negative seeds about people behind their backs to pit them against each other, for future use that suits the BPDs purpose.

If a BPD is going to a new social group, and cannot plausibly pose as a victim of the old, they will instead be on their best behavior for a honeymoon period, until they can't hold it in any more and their true nature comes out. This is what I observed with Harvin with the Seahawks, and with the Jets after leaving the Hawks, where Harvin appeared to be on his best behavior for a honeymoon period, after which I did not follow. After a while on the Hawks, the true Harvin came out.

I'm pretty sure the Seahawks did a formal diagnosis with Harvin at some point, and that his diagnosis was disclosed in the Jets trade, and the rest of the NFL personnel people are aware of it. I believe Pete got an education in this process.

Harvin's history, and ongoing behavior with the Seahawks, checked ALL the boxes, IMO, for a sociopathic BPD. Not Narcissistic Personality Disorder, but Borderline. Though the two are "Cluster B" conditions that are two peas in a pod, so BPDs will also have a significant amount of narcissistic traits, and they both run a lot of the same plays from the same playbook.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Yep.

That is probably why I hate that guy. BPDs and I do not get along.

The bummer of this is this guy is Exhibit A for why the owners are going to have a hard time accepting cannabis use for players.

Nevermind that this is an industry that creates conditions that result in constant pain, even on off days, for the player. And that cannabis is one of the best possible pain relievers out there, in terms of both effectiveness and side-effects.

But someone like Harvin claiming he was high the entire time? Just torpedoes the option for everyone because a few people cannot be professional adults in terms of balancing their freedom to do what they want vs their responsibilities to their team + league.

He really is a piece of trash. Now destroying opportunities for other athletes to manage their injuries and pain by his need to dance in the spotlight. He is going to be the example they bring up when the owners argue why this kind of pain management cannot be allowed.

Ugh.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Percy is a fighter. Doug and Tate seem more mouthy then a fighter. Some of you think its ok to run your lips and not get punched in the mouth.

To the people calling percy a p**sy, ill bet he would turn you out real quick. Its easy to run your mouths with no fear of it becoming physical. I think people who run their lips with no back bone is softer then a dude who snaps and fights.

Percy had issues and was trouble. I fully agree on all that but Doug and Tate ran their mouth a lot.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
The interviewer is not wrong when he said it was crazy the team still won the Super Bowl. you always hear about incidents like that derailing potential championship teams.

I remember being at that opener against the Packers the next year. He looked like he was going to be such a weapon on that offence. I should include that first series the next weekend vs the Chargers too when he broke one.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":3nny13lj said:
Percy is a fighter. Doug and Tate seem more mouthy then a fighter. Some of you think its ok to run your lips and not get punched in the mouth.

To the people calling percy a p**sy, ill bet he would turn you out real quick. Its easy to run your mouths with no fear of it becoming physical. I think people who run their lips with no back bone is softer then a dude who snaps and fights.

Percy had issues and was trouble. I fully agree on all that but Doug and Tate ran their mouth a lot.

Percy is not a "fighter". By your definition, Losing all emotional and mental control and violently attacking someone who is not expecting it makes you "a fighter"?

So you think it's OK to punch someone in the mouth just because they are saying things you don't like? Are you writing this from a prison cell? Because that's where this behavior will land you. Or if you attack the wrong seemingly easy victim, you could wind up dead.

Source: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... der-meyer/
"Hayes also reports that Harvin once pulled a Sprewell on receivers coach Billy Gonzales, grabbing him by the neck and throwing him to the ground. Harvin was never disciplined. Gonzales told Hayes that the incident was “a little overblown.” Meyer admitted, “Something did happen and something was handled. I don’t think it’s fair to Percy Harvin or Billy Gonzales to talk about it.”

Baldwin played through pain and played at a high level. Harvin, not so much. I'll take Baldwin for toughness over Harvin.

However, if I want someone to commit a criminal physical assault, I'll take Harvin over Baldwin.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
ivotuk":3sjf3e78 said:
I wonder if playing on the Gators team with a murderer like Aron Hernandez had an effect on Percy? IIRC, there were indications that Hernandez's drive-by behavior began long before Florida. He had to write a letter to every team in the NFL in order to get drafted because of his history.

I'm sorry but this is such a HUGE stretch. He also had arguably the biggest choir boy in sports history on that team in Tim Tebow.

If Hernandez was a bad influence, wouldn't the influence of Tebow negate it?

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Just because Percy gave a candid interview doesn't mean he was a shit teammate. We can overlook it now because time heals wounds but you'll notice he didn't comment (nor was he asked) on why he was traded and if the Dallas story was true.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Rat":25y4kda9 said:
Percy was a HOF talent, and it's a shame he fell so short of that potential, but at least he hasn't given up.

I'm not sure I buy that he never ONCE had a 1,000 yard season. (Same with Deon Branch) -- I think Percy was electric but like someone posted above he was not a complete player at all. Very average as a receiver.

Threedee

Reaction score
chris98251":ibtra9qr said:
Remember he did it because Bevell vouched for him and said he would be a difference maker and he needed a explosive playmaker.

Sold Pete with the Rice Harvin combo resurrection from Minny.

Bevell really is the worst thing since moldy sliced bread.