Percy Harvin impressed with fellow Seahawks receivers

Cirmman

Reaction score
Harvin wasn't shy about giving praise to his new teammates when talking to Seahawks.com's Clare Farnsworth:

On Sidney Rice:

"He’s known for making that big sideline catch and still getting two feet down. Or on that deep post, jumping over two guys to get the ball."

On Golden Tate:

"That’s ‘Showtime Tate.’ That name fits him very well. I can see exactly how he earned that nickname, because all his catches are by going between two guys or over two guys; just making a spectacular catch."

On Doug Baldwin:

"Doug is more similar to me, in the fact that he’s very quick, very shifty, smaller. So he actually reminds me a lot of myself."

:stirthepot:

dbsn2420

Reaction score
I think Baldwin is the sleeper and makes a huge statement this year.

sutz

Reaction score
We may not have the 'big' WR on the roster, but I think we have 4 very capable and intriguing guys on the squad that will rip the NFL a new one this season.

I know individual/personal stats may not be high because there is only one football out there to spread around, but I look forward to these guys taking turns taking over games. It strikes me that none of these guys will be bothered much if their individual numbers don't skyrocket. Opponents will have difficult decisions to make because none of these guys are guys you can afford to single cover very often. Heaven forbid one runs free.

:)

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
Our receivers made a lot of spectacular catches last year thats for sure! I don't think they keep a statistic for dropped passes, but I don't recall there being many (certianly not many obvious drops).

sutz

Reaction score
ClumsyLurk":kwllhdjc said:
Our receivers made a lot of spectacular catches last year thats for sure! I don't think they keep a statistic for dropped passes, but I don't recall there being many (certianly not many obvious drops).
There were several in one game, the Thurs night SF game, which I attribute to fatigue as much as anything. Other than that, there were very few. Our guys tend to catch with their hands, rather than let the ball get into their pads. Good technique, which I like.

BigMeach

Reaction score
If you're going to Sanfransico, be sure to wear flowers in your hair...

*hint*

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":b9ojozvj said:
Baldwin is going to have a big season.

I just don't see that happening without injury to one of the 3 ahead of him. Unless your definition of "Big Season" is different than mine. I just don't feel the opportunity is there for him.

How many receptions/yards would he need to have for you to consider him to have had a "big season"?

A

Anonymous

sutz":31xx3oud said:
ClumsyLurk":31xx3oud said:
There were several in one game, the Thurs night SF game, which I attribute to fatigue as much as anything. Other than that, there were very few. Our guys tend to catch with their hands, rather than let the ball get into their pads. Good technique, which I like.

Yes, good technique, indeed.

Unlike the tail-end of the Holmgren era, whence receivers tended to worry about where they were going to land or where they were going to run before making the catch. :roll:

The Outfield

Reaction score
I haven't watched football for as many years as some of you, but I was very impressed with our receivers last year. They made some absolutely incredible catches. Adding in Percy is going to be amazing.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Yea but who's the go-to receiver on 3rd and long?

formido

Reaction score
ClumsyLurk":3d75vyxz said:

They do indeed keep a statistic for dropped passes and Seattle had the #3 lowest dropped passes percentage in the NFL last year. We added Harvin, who happened to be ranked #2 in lowest dropped passes percentage. I sense a pattern in what Carroll is looking for in receivers.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Like I said in another thread, I hope we have 5 guys that all finish with 900-999 yards, and don't have a single 1,000-yard receiver, but we get the #1 seed in the playoffs from a season-long prolific passing attack.

Just to poke fun at all the morons that think having a 1,000-yard receiver is so crucial. It's only important if you have one good option and a bunch of other scrubs trying to catch footballs, people.

kearly

Reaction score
Harvin kind of touches on it- comparing himself to Baldwin. For all the talk about Tate and Harvin having too similar a skillset, I always thought it was Baldwin who compared more to Harvin. Same role, similar quickness, similar smarts, similar competitiveness, similar lack of durability.

RolandDeschain":1aoge0wq said:
Just to poke fun at all the morons that think having a 1,000-yard receiver is so crucial. It's only important if you have one good option and a bunch of other scrubs trying to catch footballs, people.

I think it's kind of amazing how we all have a natural obsession with round numbers. 1000 yards is a completely arbitrary benchmark. But 1000 looks so much better than 985 for some reason. That plus, you know, counting stats are bullshit. Benjarvus Green-Ellis just rushed for over 1000 yards in Cincy last year, on 3.8 yards per carry. I see a below average back, most everyone else sees a 1000 yard rusher.

Guess which NFL team was the first to select a RB in 2013 draft? The Cincinnati Bengals.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Harvin kind of touches on it- comparing himself to Baldwin. For all the talk about Tate and Harvin having too similar a skillset, I always thought it was Baldwin who compared more to Harvin. Same role, similar quickness, similar smarts, similar competitiveness, similar lack of durability.
I believe the lack of durabliltiy concerning Harvin to be way overblown. Much like Sidney Rice in fact. Both are quite durable in reality. Now Baldwin is a different story but he is still young enough to correct the issue.

kearly

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3m1ib4xq said:
WELL, then having two of those guys on the team should even out the durability issue, n'est-ce pas?

Honestly, I think that almost certainly factored into the Seahawks motivations when they traded for Harvin. Tate's effectiveness dips quite a bit when asked to play the slot, and we didn't really have any quality depth behind Baldwin for the slot position. Baldwin is fighting injuries constantly. If they hadn't traded for Harvin, I think it's pretty likely they would have picked another slot type receiver somewhere else, probably in the draft.

KCHawkGirl":3m1ib4xq said:
I believe the lack of durabliltiy concerning Harvin to be way overblown. Much like Sidney Rice in fact. Both are quite durable in reality. Now Baldwin is a different story but he is still young enough to correct the issue.

Harvin has missed games from injury in every NFL season he's played in.

Baldwin didn't go undrafted because of his receiving ability, he went undrafted because he was injured often at Stanford and profiled as a guy that would be injured often in the NFL. He takes a lot of punishment (really competitive guy), but just isn't built for it. I don't see it as correctable, slot receivers take a beating and I don't think Baldwin will ever add mass to his frame, in fact he probably shouldn't. Maybe if Baldwin moved outside permanently he'd stay a bit more healthy, but he played mostly outside in 2011 and was constantly fighting nagging injuries that season too.

I don't think either guy is "made of glass" per se, but I think both are likely to miss at least a few games every single season, and it's a good thing we have some depth there to help compensate for it.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
kearly":2oi2sukk said:
I think it's kind of amazing how we all have a natural obsession with round numbers. 1000 yards is a completely arbitrary benchmark. But 1000 looks so much better than 985 for some reason. That plus, you know, counting stats are bullshit. Benjarvus Green-Ellis just rushed for over 1000 yards in Cincy last year, on 3.8 yards per carry. I see a below average back, most everyone else sees a 1000 yard rusher.

Guess which NFL team was the first to select a RB in 2013 draft? The Cincinnati Bengals.

Yep, I completely agree. It's a dumb benchmark. Don't get me wrong, once you go high enough it's impressive, like the yards AP and Megatron got last year at their respective positions, but as far as a league-wide benchmark goes, it's stupid. I'd laugh so hard if we had the most potent passing attack in the league statistically this year, without a single thousand-yard receiver. I want it to happen so badly; I'd be all like, suck on that Julio & Roddy, as we bounce them from the playoffs in our house this year.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
kearly":2j4qlvjw said:
peachesenregalia":2j4qlvjw said:
WELL, then having two of those guys on the team should even out the durability issue, n'est-ce pas?

Honestly, I think that almost certainly factored into the Seahawks motivations when they traded for Harvin. Tate's effectiveness dips quite a bit when asked to play the slot, and we didn't really have any quality depth behind Baldwin for the slot position. Baldwin is fighting injuries constantly. If they hadn't traded for Harvin, I think it's pretty likely they would have picked another slot type receiver somewhere else, probably in the draft.

KCHawkGirl":2j4qlvjw said:

Harvin has missed games from injury in every NFL season he's played in.

Baldwin didn't go undrafted because of his receiving ability, he went undrafted because he was injured often at Stanford and profiled as a guy that would be injured often in the NFL. He takes a lot of punishment (really competitive guy), but just isn't built for it. I don't see it as correctable, slot receivers take a beating and I don't think Baldwin will ever add mass to his frame, in fact he probably shouldn't. Maybe if Baldwin moved outside permanently he'd stay a bit more healthy, but he played mostly outside in 2011 and was constantly fighting nagging injuries that season too.

I don't think either guy is "made of glass" per se, but I think both are likely to miss at least a few games every single season, and it's a good thing we have some depth there to help compensate for it.
A majority being from migranes which have been cured.