Percy Harvin impressed with fellow Seahawks receivers

RichNhansom

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3fyunyxl said:
kearly":3fyunyxl said:
Fair point. That said, I've always felt that Harvin was fortunate to not be injured much more than he has been, given his extremely physical style of play in a (relatively) slight frame.

I might get crapped on for this, but I've always been of the opinion that mental aggressiveness and toughness plays a decently sized role in injury above and beyond the body size restrictions of players. Think of how if you headbutt someone, compared to if they headbutt you. One hurts quite a bit more than the other, despite it being the same impact on the same part of the body; know what I mean? If you're the aggressor, you seem to get less injured.

I agree with this sentiment. Look at the smash mouth type teams and their injury rate compared to finesse teams. We have been significantly healthier since adapting that style just like SanFran.

There's alot to be said for playing aggressive vs playing not to get hurt. It always seems to work the opposite.

cacksman

Reaction score
It's probably too much to ask of Harvin to change his style years into his NFL career, but I really wish he would look to get out of harms way more often. Watching his 2012 highlights, made me cringe many times because he is always throwing his body around all over the field.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
cacksman":vdyfcj63 said:
It's probably too much to ask of Harvin to change his style years into his NFL career, but I really wish he would look to get out of harms way more often. Watching his 2012 highlights, made me cringe many times because he is always throwing his body around all over the field.

Wouldn't that be like asking him to stop doing the exact thing that makes him special as a player?

cacksman

Reaction score
DavidSeven":vx203pxy said:
cacksman":vx203pxy said:

Wouldn't that be like asking him to stop doing the exact thing that makes him special as a player?

Not quite, there were plenty of times where he simply sought out contact even when it didn't gain him extra yards. Look no further than the collision with Sherman last year.

A

Anonymous

RichNhansom":3vcfx2iq said:
RolandDeschain":3vcfx2iq said:
kearly":3vcfx2iq said:
Fair point. That said, I've always felt that Harvin was fortunate to not be injured much more than he has been, given his extremely physical style of play in a (relatively) slight frame.

I might get crapped on for this, but I've always been of the opinion that mental aggressiveness and toughness plays a decently sized role in injury above and beyond the body size restrictions of players. Think of how if you headbutt someone, compared to if they headbutt you. One hurts quite a bit more than the other, despite it being the same impact on the same part of the body; know what I mean? If you're the aggressor, you seem to get less injured.

I agree with this sentiment. Look at the smash mouth type teams and their injury rate compared to finesse teams. We have been significantly healthier since adapting that style just like SanFran.

There's alot to be said for playing aggressive vs playing not to get hurt. It always seems to work the opposite.

I agree with this line of thinking as well.

Having received some martial arts training in a previous life, I can tell you that making the strike hurts less than receiving the strike. The head-butt analogy is a perfect example.