Percy Harvins Godlike explosivness

seadoc30

Reaction score
He made me a believer in the superbowl. As someone mentioned above, one can literally expect a TD every time he touches the ball.

But what he really needs to work on in the off season is to not take unnecessary hits. That getting out a bounce is better than getting 2 more yards and a potential injuring hit. That to me is his only weakness, but a very lethal weakness.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Having watched him in Minnesota it's hard to explain how fast he is, until you see him on the field in person...the highlights can only do so much justice.

He makes people look stupid.

With that tumor in his hip gone (and probably a lot of pain out the window with it), I can only imagine what this guys legs are capable of.

SilkMonkey

Reaction score
On kick returns he's making CUTS at a speed I can only DREAM of reaching flat out at top speed.

Guy is unreal athletically.

jblaze

Reaction score
I saw kind of the opposite. I've seen all his highlights on the Vikings and he was certainly fast in the SB, but he wasn't as fast as he was with Minnesota.

On the kickoff return, he has another gear that wasn't being used. At least I hope he still has that gear.

For instance, on that first fly sweep, he could have taken it to the house but it seemed he was holding back some. I just hope that hip doesn't derail his best asset, his speed.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
blazen2392":1e3a12sj said:
Is it just me or does Percy Harvin seem unusually fast even by NFL standards?.

- 4.4 40 yard dash
- Standout track athlete at the Virginia Beach (VA) Landstown
- He became the first athlete in 69 years to capture five state titles at 2005 Virginia Class AAA state meet, winning the 100 meters, with a time of 10.69 seconds, 200 meters, with a time of 21.59 seconds, long jump, with a leap of 7.15 meters, and in triple jump, with a leap of 14.50 meters.
- He captured the 2005 Virginia Class AAA indoor title in triple jump, with a leap of 14.70 meters. He also won the 2004 state title in long jump as a sophomore with a leap of 7.14 meters.
- His personal bests are 10.43 seconds in the 100 meters, 21.19 seconds in the 200 meters and 7.40 meters in long jump.

Answer: No, it's not just you. Dude has world class speed.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
jblaze":1xohol0y said:
For instance, on that first fly sweep, he could have taken it to the house but it seemed he was holding back some. I just hope that hip doesn't derail his best asset, his speed.
That wasn't holding back, he just didn't make the decision to go straight for it; he hesitated for a moment as if to cut, then went for it.

The Radish

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":qs8tj91z said:
I feel that Harvin's ability to run and cut without loosing speed is an amazing talent. We Seahawks used to have someone else like that who had that uncanny ability. Our very own Steve Largent. That is was a big part of his success. He could make moves but still retain his speed. Now the overall speed compared between the two (Harvin vs. Largent) is not even close but the ability to do what they do shocks and surprises defenders. That is something watching on film can't train you for. It feels good to have them on our side.

Ok I will give you that Steve Largent ran great routes and could make cuts on a dime. But please don't say he had speed. lol One of the reasons he was drafted so low and traded was his lack of speed. Yes he was the greatest route runner I've ever seen. Only rivaled by that guy in SF with the same number, but speed he didn't have. lol

:roll:

The Radish

Reaction score
Harvin appears to have speed like Gayle Sayers. When he looked over his shoulder at the guys behind him on that TD I knew he was going to make it because he put on just enough more speed to get beyond their grasp.

I have heard that when he was in Minnesota he had top gear speed like Sayers but I would have to see that first to believe it. Not that I doubt, but Sayers is the fastest player in the NFL I've ever seen. No matter how fast you ran or got angles on him he found another gear somewhere to overcome it. None of that slow up and run behind a defender for him.

I was really impressed with Harvin's sweep speed. Its rare for players to outrun backside pursuit but he's one of them. I think he will be fine next season but Wilson has to get him the ball out in front of him, don't give the opposing players that free shot when having to get a pass that is underthrown or a tip off attempt.

:les:

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Niner fans complaining they didn't have Crabtree in week 2, complaining about Ahmad's hit on Brees, that had CK threw the ball a yard further maybe they go to the SB and their team is hoisting the Lombardi this year.

Yet at the same time, if we had Percy for all three Niner games, Crabtree would not have mattered, I'm sure Percy would have accounted for the 2 points on the road, and even if CK threw the ball a yard further, it may have been in "garbage time" at that point. Imagine if we had BOTH Rice and Percy in all three games (assuming Rice picked his game back up). Don't think that hit on Brees would have mattered either.

Assuming this team can keep most of it's core together for next year, and we'll have Percy ready to go. I'm very, very excited for this team.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
PlinytheCenter":tl3o2cuv said:
Crizilla":tl3o2cuv said:
the only thing that scares me is if he hits a defender at full speed and screws up his hip again. He's so quick it's like you know hes either going to break the hole and go all the away and hit something really hard

Agreed. I love what Percy brings to the table but I think he takes too many unnecessary hits. Perhaps a season spent in rehab will cure him of this. Not playing scared by any means, just throttling back a bit. The guy is fearless and has sought contact big time; maybe because when he was with the Vikes he thought he had to do too much. Lots of help here... I would love to see little more judicious use of that blazing speed so we can keep him around awhile, and just as importantly, so the guy can walk normally for the rest of his life.
I think they were using him like this more in the SB vs how he was used in Saints game...

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Just for fun...

Percy Harvin's kick return stats (2013):

2 returns, 72.5 average, 1 TD

Harvin's availability for KR duty is going to give us short fields all year long in 2014. Either he'll provide some great returns, or teams will consistently squib away from him.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
The Radish":1tyjlye8 said:
Harvin appears to have speed like Gayle Sayers. When he looked over his shoulder at the guys behind him on that TD I knew he was going to make it because he put on just enough more speed to get beyond their grasp.

I have heard that when he was in Minnesota he had top gear speed like Sayers but I would have to see that first to believe it. Not that I doubt, but Sayers is the fastest player in the NFL I've ever seen. No matter how fast you ran or got angles on him he found another gear somewhere to overcome it. None of that slow up and run behind a defender for him.

I was really impressed with Harvin's sweep speed. Its rare for players to outrun backside pursuit but he's one of them. I think he will be fine next season but Wilson has to get him the ball out in front of him, don't give the opposing players that free shot when having to get a pass that is underthrown or a tip off attempt.

You actually saw the "Kansas Comet" wow..I wish i had but reduced to seeing him in You Tube vids..Gayle has said football was real easy for him..He did have that extra gear(s)
that Harvin seems to have,they are similar in that way..

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Les is so old....he comps Percy to Gale Sayers? When did he play 1950 or 1960? Wasn't Noah alive then? :mrgreen:

irfuben32

Reaction score
I have to admit near the end of the season I was thinking Cordarelle Patterson and the cap space was looking pretty good to me.

Now I am thrilled he is back and can't wait to see what he does for the Hawks in the next few years.

I would love to see him get an updated 40 time also. There is no way this guy runs a 4.4, it has to be sub 4.3

if only we could have a race between Percy Harvin and Joey Galloway in there primes.

billio155

Reaction score
Just using the eyeball test, but Percy looks like he is about ten to fifteen pounds lighter than he was in Minny...which may account for the extra speed. He will probably beef back up though, they don't want him to break.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Kirk: "Mr sulu, engage harvin speed"

Scotty: "oh god nooooo-"

Enterprise: (exits universe)

The Radish

Reaction score
BTW has anyone ever seen God run?

I knew Jesus when he was just an enlisted man, but I never saw God run. How are we making a comparison?

8)

The Radish

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3r39ez4d said:
Les is so old....he comps Percy to Gale Sayers? When did he play 1950 or 1960? Wasn't Noah alive then? :mrgreen:

Just for you by Mizzou buddy. Gayle played 7 seasons tho only a couple of games in the last one. Drafted in 1967. Caught this cute paragraph in his wikipedia. He co holds the record for most TDs in a game. Look who the last one was against. :D

He tied Ernie Nevers' and Dub Jones' record for touchdowns in a single game, with six in a 61-20 victory over the San Francisco 49ers on December 12.[4]

Gives me a warm and cuddly feeling. lol