Perhaps People weren't aware of this fact

StoneCold

Reaction score
I think the question that was asked in the Cables Saturday evaluation meeting was, "How are we going to upgrade at RT and LG?:

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Let's just say that I hope that the OL personal have been excoriated on their techniques and that we will see a noticeable improvement this Friday.

OP
OP
seahawk12thman

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":14z838us said:
seahawk12thman":14z838us said:
Sgt. Largent":14z838us said:
seahawk12thman":14z838us said:
Britt was a rookie, how many rookies started at right tackle last year?? I didn't say they played well but they should have scored a touchdown on their second drive. I am simply saying the sky isn't falling. Lets assume Britt was good in your opinion, who should play left guard??
Not sure why this is so difficult for you.

It's not difficult.

You're saying Britt was moved to left guard because we need a left guard, and I'm saying he was moved to left guard because he was an inferior RT, especially in pass protection.

No team in the history of the NFL moves a great, or even very good RT to guard because of need. Tackles are much harder to find than guards, so you never move a good one out of need..............you move them because they're not playing well, or don't have the potential to solidify that position.

Gilliam can't play guard, he isn't big enough. Yes, Britt was moved to left guard because the play there was less than average. So you are saying Britt would have been replaced by Gilliam if Bailey was the guard we were hoping he would be???

Definitely a possibility.

My guess is Pete and Tom wanted to give Britt a chance during OTA's and the first pre-season game to see if there was any growth with his pass pro issues from last year. The verdict was a resounding no, thus the move.

Nothing against Britt, he was iffy at RT from the get go, which is why Cable told him when he was drafted that he could end up at guard.

I'm merely contradicting your assertion that the O-line wasn't as bad as it appeared Friday. It was, and the shuffling and rotation of new players into the starting 5 proves me right.

No it wasn't a possibility, which is why you tried to change it back to offensive lines play Friday night. There was no chance that Gilliam was taking Britt's job and you know this. One drive that should have culminated into a touchdown isn't a bad night. Getting worked by Von Miller (the best left end in football INHO) is no disgrace either. Cables assesment of the first team offense was "OK" and he was right. The play of the 2nd and 3rd team is another story... This makes the line better and that is the job of the coaches to upgrade. It proves you have no idea what you are talking about and are grasping at straws.. :34853_doh:

OP
OP
seahawk12thman

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
StoneCold":gkspzjqm said:
seahawk12thman":gkspzjqm said:
Sgt. Largent":gkspzjqm said:
seahawk12thman":gkspzjqm said:
Britt was a rookie, how many rookies started at right tackle last year?? I didn't say they played well but they should have scored a touchdown on their second drive. I am simply saying the sky isn't falling. Lets assume Britt was good in your opinion, who should play left guard??
Not sure why this is so difficult for you.

It's not difficult.

You're saying Britt was moved to left guard because we need a left guard, and I'm saying he was moved to left guard because he was an inferior RT, especially in pass protection.

No team in the history of the NFL moves a great, or even very good RT to guard because of need. Tackles are much harder to find than guards, so you never move a good one out of need..............you move them because they're not playing well, or don't have the potential to solidify that position.

Gilliam can't play guard, he isn't big enough. Yes, Britt was moved to left guard because the play there was less than average. So you are saying Britt would have been replaced by Gilliam if Bailey was the guard we were hoping he would be???

Gilliam is taller and heavier than Sweezy. Not trying to be argumentative as I appreciate your positive spin.

I am not sure where Sweezy comes into play here?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":e3u22586 said:
No it wasn't a possibility, which is why you tried to change it back to offensive lines play Friday night. There was no chance that Gilliam was taking Britt's job and you know this. One drive that should have culminated into a touchdown isn't a bad night. Getting worked by Von Miller (the best left end in football INHO) is no disgrace either. Cables assesment of the first team offense was "OK" and he was right. The play of the 2nd and 3rd team is another story... This makes the line better and that is the job of the coaches to upgrade. It proves you have no idea what you are talking about and are grasping at straws.. :34853_doh:

This is grasping at straws.

Britt had one bad play but after that he was pretty solid.

I will leave you now to defend your delusional O-line mumbo jumbo with other forum goers. God speed.

StoneCold

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":efpza4si said:

StoneCold":efpza4si said:
Gilliam is taller and heavier than Sweezy. Not trying to be argumentative as I appreciate your positive spin.

seahawk12thman":efpza4si said:

You said Gilliam can't play guard because he isn't big enough. Sweezy is a guard and Gilliam is bigger.

OP
OP
seahawk12thman

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
StoneCold":1kwg6i7p said:
seahawk12thman":1kwg6i7p said:

StoneCold":1kwg6i7p said:

seahawk12thman":1kwg6i7p said:

You said Gilliam can't play guard because he isn't big enough. Sweezy is a guard and Gilliam is bigger.

Yeah it seems you have a point. I thought Sweezy was at least 315.... Alvin Bailey has been a disappointment and I think we will see an improvement Friday. The real intrigue is Gilliam's power blocking. Left Tackle is more about Pass pro and defending the QB's blind side.

OP
OP
seahawk12thman

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3vd4jv8m said:
seahawk12thman":3vd4jv8m said:

This is grasping at straws.

Britt had one bad play but after that he was pretty solid.

I will leave you now to defend your delusional O-line mumbo jumbo with other forum goers. God speed.

You lost so move on.. LOL. :177692:

netskier

Reaction score
Based on the official roster, Gilliam is six pounds bigger than sweezy, but the roster seems to have a lot of stale data in it, so how reliable is it?

Who do we email to request updating?

The 230 pound Mathews is still listed at last year's 218 pound weight, for example.

netskier

Reaction score
Given that Wilson's blind side is on the left, then why not play him at LG to provide reliable pass protection on Wilson's blind side.

Play Britt on the right, and run the ball right at those pass rushers, to make them defend the run.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
netskier":2xkiufic said:
Based on the official roster, Gilliam is six pounds bigger than sweezy, but the roster seems to have a lot of stale data in it, so how reliable is it?

Who do we email to request updating?

The 230 pound Mathews is still listed at last year's 218 pound weight, for example.

They don't update that info very often. Most of it is taken from the combine. If they weren't at the combine, then they might use their official weight/height from college (which is almost always wrong). Those numbers are hardly ever adjusted as the seasons go on.

I think it would be pretty cool if they required every team to have a day of combine-style measuring and testing before training camp, so that we can see the progress each player has made in the off-season. But I doubt something like that would ever happen, due to budgetary/time concerns outweighing the perceived benefit to the fans in having more knowledge.

netskier

Reaction score
Well, if the Seahawks don't want to do it, then perhaps this site should do it, perhaps by a bunch of volunteers, specializing in data updating.

I noticed that the nominal 265 pound Graham now routinely refers to himself as weighing 270 this year.

I really like your idea of measuring and testing at the training camp.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Britt is a decent RT but its obvious that the Seahawks know he can be exploited by speed rushers on the edge.

Every DC in the league will put thier fastest guy on Britt or overload that side. Maybe a year or two from maybe thats something Britt will improve but with a gaping hole at LG and an athletic prospect in Gilliam, you can kill two birds with one stone.

Its a strategic move that balances out the strengths of the O-Line's ability. Again, if you want a quality Oline its about putting your best 5 out there and let them build chemistry together over time.

It might be an ugly first half (optimistically 1st QTR) of the season but if this group is blessed by the health gods this season, theyll be able to grow and get better and play more consistent together by seasons end.

I agree with some of the comments, Britt can be insufferable at times in pass protection but he's a probably a better OG then he is an OT. And Britt is a better RT than Bailey or Milton are LGs. With Gilliam potentially being a much servicable RT in pass protection than either of the guys on roster.