Pete Carroll 49ers DC?

94Smith

Reaction score
There is an article on the athletic considering possible new DCs for the 49ers .

“This makes too much sense. Carroll was born in San Francisco and he’d get a chance to play his former team twice a year (and face Jim Harbaugh in the preseason!). And if Shanahan’s looking for continuity on defense? Well, the scheme the 49ers have used in recent years is based on the aggressive defense Carroll ran when he was San Francisco’s coordinator in 1995-96. Shanahan said he’s always been a fan of Carroll’s units. “It’s extremely tough to get explosive (plays) on,” Shanahan said in 2017. “It’s tough to go against. They make you work for everything and it’s something that you don’t have to reinvent the wheel every week. It’s something that if you do over and over and over again, it’s hard not to get better at it.”

Is this even a possibility with Pete’s new roll in the organization ? I can’t see it ever happening

James in PA

Reaction score
Pete has more class than Sherman. You guys wouldn't want him anyway. I can see them landing Vrabel though. That would be a good audition for his next HC gig.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
As a fan of a rival team Pete going to the Niners to be DC would scare me less than Belichick or Vrabel taking a step back and doing that. Pete has a great resume as a defensive coach but now sure how much that holds up now in 2024. Will BB still seems to be able to do more with less on that side of the ball.

renofox

Reaction score
I'm all for it, as long as we get 2 1sts and 2 2nds in the trade.

chris98251

Reaction score
Pete's been there before, he wants to coach, if your not active you become forgotten, if the 49ers get back to the Bowl and the defense is legit and they win Pete opens the door for himself again.

OP
OP
94Smith

94Smith

Reaction score
The article mentioned a bunch of other names including Mike Vrabel and Bill Belichek , but mentioned they run 3-4 and Nick Bosa prefers to play in a 4-3

knownone

Reaction score
Zero percent chance that Belichick or Pete even consider taking the job.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Pete's defense was bad and continued to get worse the past few years even after a ton of resources were thrown at it.....There is zero chance they would want Pete for that role either and I don't think Pete would want it as mentioned above. Belichick lost his two best defense players last year and still put together a great unit without a ton of premium talent so I would think someone would want him for that role but he won't take it.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Pete is exactly what Kyle needs to get over the hump.

Not the defensive hump. The hump in his personal journey as a coach.

Pete hits Kyle with one of THESE during that Super Bowl and San Fran is hoisting the trophy as we speak.

Screen Shot 2022 10 24 at 102602 AM

As for defensive coordinator, well... I think if you take everything off of Pete's plate (no exec stuff, no GM stuff, no head coach stuff) and give him a narrow task of "listen, just coach the defensive unit and call the plays," he'd surprise you with what he cooked up. The man has an arsenal and has run every front under the sun in his career.

It makes sense. I'd, of course, vomit multiple times. But it'd make some sense.

Threedee

Reaction score

Pete hits Kyle with one of THESE during that Super Bowl and San Fran is hoisting the trophy as we speak.

View attachment 65029

As for defensive coordinator, well... I think if you take everything off of Pete's plate (no exec stuff, no GM stuff, no head coach stuff) and give him a narrow task of "listen, just coach the defensive unit and call the plays," he'd surprise you with what he cooked up. The man has an arsenal and has run every front under the sun in his career.

He can replicate the 2012 divisional game by placing Santa Clara into Prevent D on the final drive.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score

View attachment 65029

Is he? Carroll hasn't fielded a top 10 defense since 2017. His specialty has been the most problematic area for the Seahawks for around 7 years now. Carroll was a great coach and he single handedly changed the NFL paradigm after 2012 when the LOB was dominating the NFL. That being said Pete Carroll's defenses haven't been relevant for close to a decade now. Ultimately this led to Carroll's firing. Carroll is out of touch with the modern NFL and has been for some time when it comes to fielding a competent NFL defense.

I get that you respect Carroll, he was the best coach Seattle has ever had. He took the Seahawks to heights we only dreamed of and he had an innovative approach that other teams rushed to copy. We often hear about teams studying rugby guys for tackling tips in the modern NFL. Carroll was the first guy to come up with that! He specifically brought in a rugby player to show the players how to implement that tackling style. Carroll assessments on player archetypes was also bang on. Carroll was really the guy that made big corners and undersized pass rushers come into vogue. Carroll's utilization of undersized defensive ends that were speedy as standup edge rushers out of a 4-3 front was also brilliant and something that had been under looked for awhile in the NFL.

Pete Carroll got ahead of offensive trends and devised a simple, yet effective system that countered modern NFL trends. Most of our defenses were made up of guys that nobody wanted. Sherman was a large cornerback that was relatively inexperienced and considered too big and too stiff for his position. Kam Chancellor was seen to be a LB/safety tweener that was too big, too stiff and might be better suited as a LBer. Pass rushers such as Clemons had previous successes, but were considered undersized and often time slotted in roles that they weren't fit for. Carroll's usage of Kam and his versatility ultimately paved the way for other players and new trends with safeties that we're seeing today.

People thought Carroll was nuts. I remember our drafts uniformly being graded as among the worst in the NFL, yet the result was the Seahawks having the best NFL drafts. Unfortunately that was then, this is now.

Carroll ultimately fell behind the NFL meta overtime. His defenses lacked focus, they lacked structure and they were confused about what they wanted to be. There was no discipline and big issues with communication. A lot of hammering square pegs into round holes over the years. I don't think Carroll has it anymore. He's lost his touch, it happened to Holmgren, now that is where Carroll is at this point in time.

olyfan63

Reaction score
He can replicate the 2012 divisional game by placing Santa Clara into Prevent D on the final drive.
That was on Gus Bradley right? I always thought the missed opportunity was just to tackle the ATL WRs at the line of scrimmage and take several 5-yard defensive holding penalties to run out the clock as the ATL kicker misses a 70-yard FG try (short) at the buzzer.