Pete Carroll and slow starts

hawk45

Reaction score
Especially in the playoffs, it's not even about whether we will start slow, but rather how big a disaster it will be.
Redskins, Falcons, Niners, packers, Patriots, panthers. Giving them a break in Saints and Minnesota due to wind but those certainly weren't strong starts offensively.

I expected the same today but was hoping it wouldn't rise to the level of disaster and that our D would at least show up early.

This appears to be who Pete is and it is as much responsible for our failures as his philosophy is responsible for our miracle comebacks.

Seems like an adjustment should be possible somewhere.

northseahawk

Reaction score
Seanhawk":13seoavt said:
jake206":13seoavt said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/KevinShockey/status/688844317935312896[/tweet]

I had a bad feeling from the start when Erin Andrews reported that the Seahawk players were complaining about the turf. Not about the field being a problem, but that the players thought it was a problem.

That's why you come early, prepare for these things. It a billion dollar organization and I am sure they have an expert who asseses the field and how to prepare for this.

Just a bunch of loser excuses. We plainly were not prepared for anything that happened and most importantly football aspect of it.

chris98251

Reaction score
The field and cleats should not have been a issue, why you have pre game to test your gear and how your traction is on the turf. The Coaches and equipment guys should have been on top of that before the first play.

OP
OP
C

cesame

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":9qperawn said:
This is one of those things Pete will be ultra stubborn about and convince himself it's not a problem.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/688863868307701760[/tweet]

Looks like you may be right

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":353hz448 said:
Today it was about offensive philosophy. IN the first half we ran pass routes like the first half of the season, mostly slow developing plays, and like in the first half of the season our oline could not hold up. In the 2nd half of the game we went to the offense we ran in the 2nd half of the season, providing Wilson with, long, routes, short routes, and intermediate routes, and we moved the ball, our oline looked better. Why they did not start that way who knows, well we all know Bevel.
Maybe they turned the keys over to Bevell in the SECOND half

vonstout

Reaction score
That's the 10 am start time. Anyone who disagrees hasn't played sports. The NFL needs to stop putting west coast teams in early games when they don't have to. There was only one early game last week and this week and we played in both of them. That's BS.

kf3339

Reaction score
cesame":2k5fp9mq said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/dannyoneil/status/688792633347448833[/tweet]

It's not just the slow starts in games, but also the slow start each regular season that bugs me.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
kf3339":1e259bxu said:
cesame":1e259bxu said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/dannyoneil/status/688792633347448833[/tweet]

It's not just the slow starts in games, but also the slow start each regular season that bugs me.
Get used to it. Pete plays young players. They get better as the year goes on but those early games can be challenging to inexperienced players.

hoxrox

Reaction score
A lot of slow starts are on Wilson. He just doesn't get into a rhythm and find his accuracy early which is why it's imperative for Bevell to call plays that includes read option and quick passes instead of slow developing passes like we saw today.

Crizilla

Reaction score
vonstout":f4c1kisc said:
That's the 10 am start time. Anyone who disagrees hasn't played sports. The NFL needs to stop putting west coast teams in early games when they don't have to. There was only one early game last week and this week and we played in both of them. That's BS.

at least we get 1 less 10am start now that the Rasm are in LA.

irocdave

Reaction score
The slow start on offense was way to consistent this year. Some of that was poor play calling, not getting plays in soon enough, RW sporadic poor throws, RW standing at the line burning clock while surveying the field then taking delay of game penalties or burning time outs like they have an unlimited supply. RW just looked lost some times. The slow developing pass plays early the game are just another sign that who ever is pulling the strings on play calling doesn't understand the weakness of this team is the O line. Handing the ball to ML right off the bat, who would have expected that??

This team is still really good, but has some big holes to fill on the line and the coaching needs to adapt to the players they HAVE, not what they might turn out to be if they keep banging their heads against the wall.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
The reason we lost was just as I feared..the offense...when they pull this shit when they dont score at all in the first half it kills us. How many playoff games have we only scored 7 or fewer in the first half..its rediculous

Just this year...0 points against the Vikings before 4th quarter...0 points until 3rd quarter against Panthers

Last year
14 points going into the 4th quarter against the Panthers
7 points going into the 4th quarter against the Packers
0 points in the first quarter but they scored 24 going into the 4th against the pats..offense went conservative and 4th and we lost along with d blowing a 10 point lead.

2 years ago
16 points going into 4th quarter against Saints
3 points at halftime against 49ers

3 years ago
0 points against Redskins in 1st quarter...went into 4th quarter with 13 points and losing
0 Points against Falcons in first half...

Seymour

Reaction score
IndyHawk":fkxdb0c5 said:
Tech Worlds":fkxdb0c5 said:
Poor qb play in the first half is a factor as well.
This is true especially on that pick 6 ..

That wasn't 100% on Wilson. He had a DT hanging on him when he threw it, Marshawn turned L and Wilson figured he'd turn R.

kearly

Reaction score
Slow starts haven't been a problem the past 9 games, except for the three when field conditions were harsh or abnormal.

One of the downsides of this year's Renaissance on offense is that the team has taken on some of the weaknesses of a dome team.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
kearly":2heyetgx said:
Slow starts haven't been a problem the past 9 games, except for the three when field conditions were harsh or abnormal.

The past 9 games have involved pretty shit opponents.

Russell4Prez

Reaction score
I think Carolina has played us enough to know that our strategy is to start out slow, establish the run, probe the defense, then use all of that to build a second half game plan. They know that and decided their best strategy was to attack early and get us on our heels.

And, yes, I do think this is a flaw in Pete Carol's philosophy. I think he takes pride in his start slow and finish strong philosophy. It shows up in games as well as the the overall season. Yes, there were a lot of changes in the off season that took time to develop and gel (O-Line, Graham), but isn't that always going to be the case?

This is not baseball or basketball where you can afford to get off to a slow start and not get too up or too down with each win or loss. One loss in football is the equivalent of a ten game losing streak in baseball.

I don't think there is a better team at making in season and in game adjustments, but they need to figure out how to act sooner.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2p7xzkpm said:
kearly":2p7xzkpm said:

The past 9 games have involved pretty shit opponents.

I think Kearly hit it on the head. Our players and new style of play are more suited to better conditions.

The 'past nine games' included the Cardinals, Debbie downer (Montana). Very interesting that you had so many reasons we would win before he game, but now we we're just a team that got lucky with 'pretty shit opponents,' and never really had any of the strengths you mentioned pregame. :pukeface:

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Russell4Prez":5sealmkc said:
I think Carolina has played us enough to know that our strategy is to start out slow, establish the run, probe the defense, then use all of that to build a second half game plan. They know that and decided their best strategy was to attack early and get us on our heels.

And, yes, I do think this is a flaw in Pete Carol's philosophy. I think he takes pride in his start slow and finish strong philosophy. It shows up in games as well as the the overall season. Yes, there were a lot of changes in the off season that took time to develop and gel (O-Line, Graham), but isn't that always going to be the case?

This is not baseball or basketball where you can afford to get off to a slow start and not get too up or too down with each win or loss. One loss in football is the equivalent of a ten game losing streak in baseball.

I don't think there is a better team at making in season and in game adjustments, but they need to figure out how to act sooner.

And a product of that philosophy is that game planning suffers. The coaches rely on in-game adjustments to the point that their game plans are not specific enough with regard to opponent. That's one thing Holmgren was much better at.

bigDhawk

Reaction score
Threedee":3t8qc3j7 said:
northseahawk":3t8qc3j7 said:
Maybe he needs to change his can you win it 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th quarter crap because the answer to all of those statements is YES!

This team is literally taking this seriously especially wilson. He has been pathetic in first halves.
Worst advice a coach can offer players, other than cheating, classless play, and sabotage. I have disagreed with Pete from the moment I heard him first utter it. If nothing else, it must have an impact on players that is bad psychologically.

Indeed. Instead of going 1-0 every week, how about going 1-0 every quarter? Heck, 1-0 every play? Certainly seems like a flawed message to make it about either starting or finishing. Why can't it be about both? Win all four quarters. Win forever.

Donn2390

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":2mh3fa6d said:
This is one of those things Pete will be ultra stubborn about and convince himself it's not a problem. We can point out the obvious all we want, but he won't change his philosophy. This team plays with no heart in the first half of big games. That's just who they are. Perhaps an example of senility creeping in on the old man.
This may just be to dumbest post ever posted... b utt hurt much?