Pete Carroll chose philosophy over Wilson

adeltaY

Reaction score
Tusc2000":3798hgbl said:
TwistedHusky":3798hgbl said:
The sick and pathetic thing is that we have shown we can run.

And running the ball is easier on bad offensive lines.

The most frustrating thing in this whole debacle is that Wilson is not calling him out for it. Wilson should be screaming that his OC is setting himself up to fail. Rodgers would be literally giving interviews where he would be handing out the OC's home address so people can go throw garbage at it like the Texan's fans did.

Really? When have these RBs shown they can run the ball with this terrible O-line? They were getting killed on every play.

And BTW Rodgers has been to one Super Bowl, and that was 8 years ago. Hardly a model to follow.

I thought so too Tusc and was pushing against running more, but it turns out Carson had four successful carries when he was given the ball! That's so much better than what Penny was doing. And to be honest, our passing game was so awful, trends be damned, we needed to take the ball out of Russ' hands to get him to calm down. Passing > Running, but damn we did our best to disprove that last night.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
The whole going back t the run game has a been a load of crap. You can't say you want to be a running team when your #1 RB doesn't get a single touch in the 2nd half of the game!!!!!! 6 plays, 1 total yard in the 3rd quarter for us, guess what they were all passes.......

NOLAHawk

Reaction score
5 ypc is not getting killed.

Tusc2000":2dvq2ppl said:
TwistedHusky":2dvq2ppl said:

The most frustrating thing in this whole debacle is that Wilson is not calling him out for it. Wilson should be screaming that his OC is setting himself up to fail. Rodgers would be literally giving interviews where he would be handing out the OC's home address so people can go throw garbage at it like the Texan's fans did.

Really? When have these RBs shown they can run the ball with this terrible O-line? They were getting killed on every play.

And BTW Rodgers has been to one Super Bowl, and that was 8 years ago. Hardly a model to follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GeekHawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2breafay said:
We hired someone not as bad as Bevell but almost as bad as Bevell. Then we repeated some of the same tactics that did not work last year. Shoddy is garbage.

I'm thinking about starting to agree with this. Although I'm hoping a lot of it is the stench of rhymes-with-unable still affecting the O-line. Certainly with Ifedi we can't be trying to keep RW strong in the pocket like the last half of 2015, we need some of those designed rollouts, creative screens, and RPO plays. ESPECIALLY when faced with Von Miller week 1 and Mak Khalil week 2! That was just dumb. With this defense being all injured and stuff we need to score 30 points a game, not 15 or whatever we'e averaging so far.

D

DomeHawk

Oh, sorry, I was writing a post with a very similar bent when you posted this. It's a very good point though and the fact that the new OC is trying to force RW to be a pure pocket passer is failing miserably also.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Well, you can understand why Rams fans were laughing at us.

One of the most frustrating guys on their coaching staff was finally gone, and then the team they hated the most - The Seahawks, suddenly ended up with him.

It must have been hilarious.

This would have been like the Patriots suddenly hiring Bevell.

We would literally be waiting for that guy to ruin them from the inside out. Kind of like our OC is doing to us now.

Generally, you listen to the fans of the team that had the guy you are picking up. They tend to know exactly what to expect and they are not wrong nearly as often as they are right.

Saddling Wilson with this OC was one of the worst things Pete could have done for Wilson's effectiveness.

But Pete did it because Shoddy was going to follow Pete's directives and do things Pete's way even though Pete is a washed up HC that brings nothing of value to the table anymore.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Carroll is already gone. He knows it. Allen is searching for a new coach as we speak. Gotta get the feelers out to the college guys early.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Tusc2000":18enekad said:
TwistedHusky":18enekad said:

Yeah buttttt, Rodgers is Mr. Automatic, & almost everyone has him as infallible, and a shoe in for the HOF, so he doesn't have anything to prove. LOL

TheHawkster

Reaction score
By Year 7, your franchise QB should be helping pick the players around him and working hand and hand with the OC.
He should run his offense with plays he thinks will work on every down, doing checks and audibles to mess with the defense.

This clearly isn't happening.
Pete is still running the conservative USC offense that relys on better talent executing basic safe plays.

Sgt Largent

Reaction score
Fellas, he is so confident/arrogant in his philosophy that he wrote a book about it. Hoping for change from the man is a fools errand.

Jville

Reaction score
I'm gonna alter the subject title.

Russell Wilson was chosen as a fit for Pete Carroll's philosophy.

I like that much better. 8)

Seymour

Reaction score
Russell Wilson was the rare piece of clay that Pete Carroll chose to mold into his ash tray.

xray

Reaction score
You can't teach an old dog new tricks is true with Carroll and Wilson.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
I think I see the way this is going. Bevell and Cable were the problem, until they were gone, and now it turns out Schotty and Carroll are the problem. Once Schotty and Carroll are gone if Wilson keeps on not being able to do the things he's always struggled with, maybe the argument will be that these guys are still at fault for having wasted his prime.

I think the answer might be much simpler: Most players most of the time have the same strengths and weaknesses in their games throughout their careers. There might be small adjustments, but strengths remain strengths and weaknesses remain weaknesses.

There's also really only one thing that differentiates the best QBs from simply very good QBs, and that's that the best QBs make offensive skill players and coordinators around them look better than they are, whereas the simply very good QBs have performance that ebbs and flows as based on the offensive skill players and coordinators around them.

I seriously can't think of a single offensive player (be it RB, WR, TE or OL) who looked as good not playing with Rodgers, Brees, Brady, or Peyton Manning as they looked playing with those guys. Everyone also knows that Mike McCarthy is a below average coach and offensive coordinator, but it doesn't matter, because Aaron Rodgers makes him look much better than he is.

These guys are very different from the simply very good QBs like Matt Ryan, Ben Rapes, Phillip Rivers, and so on, whose performance ebbs and flows as based on the talent they're surrounded with.

Long story short, I don't think the "real" problem keeps changing or exposing itself as someone else who isn't Wilson, the real "problem" might just be that Wilson is at the end of the day a very good QB and not a truly great QB. And that's not really an insult either: it's saying he's a top 5 QB and not a top 3 QB, and his performance is dependent on the talent around him.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Except Wilson is a terrible fit for how Pete wants to run things.

Wilson would probably blossom in another offense but under Pete his growth has not only stunted but regressed.

I don't think he is Elite like some here do. Never did.

But Wilson is a great offensive weapon if we use him right. Focusing on limiting turnovers (which is stupid by the way) and going with high boom/bust offensive approaches with little support are some of the worst ways to use him that I can think of.

We barely use the middle of the field with him. Which makes it hard on our run game. Makes it hard on the OL too. And puts Wilson in regular unnecessary jeopardy. Better offensive game planners would recognize that Wilson's tremendous ability to throw long is going to open up the middle regularly and exploit that. And better gameday HCs would enable that.

Better offensive game plans would recognize that a large % of most defenses are predicated on moving the QB as part of disrupting the passing game. Wilson's ability to throw accurately on the move negates that or mitigates the impact. But we only do this with ridiculously long developing long passing plays or plays for short yardage that require the ball to travel much farther (increasing risk)

Pete's entire game plan doesn't use Wilson's strengths nearly as well as it could.

Not to mention Wilson's ability to produce under pressure. That means high scoring games or back and forth games, we still have good chances in. Wilson is tremendously good at getting dialed in when he gets in a rhythm. We consistently do things that disrupt that in our insane quest for home run hitting plays.

Also, Pete's philosophy is stupid as well. It only works with all-time great defenses giving you enough chances to make it work. Your philosophy should be focused on how you can maximize success with what you have, not rigidly enforced regardless of personnel.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Popeye,

I see your point but look at this offensive personnel and tell me if you believe that this roster should be producing these offensive #s. If you want to say bottom 3rd? Sure. But what we saw in Chicago was not just from facing a great defense. A lot of it was bad play calls.

And yes, we replaced coordinators but we both know that if you change the assistants and the dictates from the HC do not change - you very likely won't see a change. The change we have seen is the defense is worse, though that is mostly due to the loss of most of our best defensive players.

I am the last person to make excuses for Wilson, I know his flaws and issues. But I also know his strengths and we are forcing him to do what he does not do well in order to execute Pete's game plan which is ill-conceived and unlikely to work with our current roster.

Jville

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3chcfsxo said:
I think I see the way this is going. Bevell and Cable were the problem, until they were gone, and now it turns out Schotty and Carroll are the problem. Once Schotty and Carroll are gone if Wilson keeps on not being able to do the things he's always struggled with, maybe the argument will be that these guys are still at fault for having wasted his prime.

I think the answer might be much simpler: Most players most of the time have the same strengths and weaknesses in their games throughout their careers. There might be small adjustments, but strengths remain strengths and weaknesses remain weaknesses.

There's also really only one thing that differentiates the best QBs from simply very good QBs, and that's that the best QBs make offensive skill players and coordinators around them look better than they are, whereas the simply very good QBs have performance that ebbs and flows as based on the offensive skill players and coordinators around them.

I seriously can't think of a single offensive player (be it RB, WR, TE or OL) who looked as good not playing with Rodgers, Brees, Brady, or Peyton Manning as they looked playing with those guys. Everyone also knows that Mike McCarthy is a below average coach and offensive coordinator, but it doesn't matter, because Aaron Rodgers makes him look much better than he is.

These guys are very different from the simply very good QBs like Matt Ryan, Ben Rapes, Phillip Rivers, and so on, whose performance ebbs and flows as based on the talent they're surrounded with.

Long story short, I don't think the "real" problem keeps changing or exposing itself as someone else who isn't Wilson, the real "problem" might just be that Wilson is at the end of the day a very good QB and not a truly great QB. And that's not really an insult either: it's saying he's a top 5 QB and not a top 3 QB, and his performance is dependent on the talent around him.

Nicely described even if it might ruffle a few feathers. Appreciate your objectivity. You have helped me weigh anchor from time to time.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3fgkebr2 said:
I see your point but look at this offensive personnel and tell me if you believe that this roster should be producing these offensive #s. If you want to say bottom 3rd? Sure. But what we saw in Chicago was not just from facing a great defense. A lot of it was bad play calls.

I can only speak for myself, but I simply don't watch closely enough (or even really have enough knowledge even if I did watch closely enough) to make evaluations about play calling.

That just takes a ton of work. Like for a single play to evaluate play calling you gotta fire up the all 22 and watch a play 10-15 times.

First time: Okay, the offense is running a sail concept on one side and levels on the other. Got it.
2-3 time: Okay, so the defense is in Cover 3, so that means the QB should be looking sail side.
4-6 time: Wait a sec, that doesn't look like Cover 3, it looks like Cover 3 Mable (zone on one side and man on the other), and the defense has diagnosed that this route concept is coming. Did they get lucky or is there a tell based on formation or down and distance? Man, I have to go back and watch offenses' last three games play-by-play like this to know that. Oh well, can't answer that one, but I can look at individual performances and see if someone messed up.
7-10 time: watch the o-line and d-line for any wins and losses in one on one matchups.
11-14 time: Watch receivers on the man coverage side to asses who wins in one on one matchups, and then the zone side to make sure nobody messed up on the defense in their assignments.
15th time: watch the whole play again and try to figure out what happened.

To be clear, none of this is in DEFENSE of play calling, I'm just saying that beyond some really, really basic stuff, I treat play calling as mostly unknown. I mean heck, from the TV angle it takes work to even figure out the play side route concepts, let alone anything else.

TwistedHusky":3fgkebr2 said:
And yes, we replaced coordinators but we both know that if you change the assistants and the dictates from the HC do not change - you very likely won't see a change. The change we have seen is the defense is worse, though that is mostly due to the loss of most of our best defensive players.

I am the last person to make excuses for Wilson, I know his flaws and issues. But I also know his strengths and we are forcing him to do what he does not do well in order to execute Pete's game plan which is ill-conceived and unlikely to work with our current roster.

I totally understand all this. My point was that truly great ______ makes everyone around them look better.

A truly great coordinator like McVay makes a lump like Goff look a lot better. In his prime Adrian Peterson made his lump QB, O-line, and WRs look better. Brees, Rodgers, and Brady make a bunch of mediocre WRs and Olineman look like pro-bowlers year in and year out.

What we're seeing is Russell Wilson with the deck stacked against him. What we're learning from that is that he might be in the class of very good QBs like Rivers, Ryan, and Rapes who just look kinda okay with the deck stacked against them, and who only look like the great QBs when the decks are stacked for them.

To put more fine of a point on it, and to say something rude about some of my 9ers that other 9ers fans would HATE: I STRONGLY SUSPECT that Joe Montana and Steve Young were both just very good QBs, not the great HoF QBs in the best of all time conversations they're put in. Both those guys got to spend almost their entire careers with decks stacked impossibly in their favor. In the rare instances when they weren't in those situations, they were both just good QBs of the Rivers, Ryan, Rapes variety, not great ones.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
HansGruber":36bo5ef0 said:
Carroll is already gone. He knows it. Allen is searching for a new coach as we speak. Gotta get the feelers out to the college guys early.

Is this speculation or do you have a link to this information?