Pete Carroll contingency plans at cornerback, left tackle ..

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Jville":1vuldcxj said:
Shaquill Griffin is still in the process of making a big jump from Central Florida to the NFL. And, although he is on a rookie learning curve, his progress has exceeded my expectations.

The Justin Coleman story is terrific. He originally signed with Minnesota. He had some practice squad time with Seattle. Then he goes to New England where he gets significant game snaps to develop as a player. Trading for him was well worth the price to avoid his initial developmental learning curve. I really like him on the inside. I thought Coleman was an exceptional and timely trade.

Good points. Justin Coleman reminds me a lot like Marcus Burley. In 2014, Marcus Burley was key depth player for the Seahawks. Justin Coleman is seems to be fitting that role for this team. There are so many similarities between the two it's uncanny. Burley was also acquired in a trade for a late rounder. He's 5'11, 185 pds. Coleman is 5'11, 190. Burley wore #28 for the Seahawks and Coleman is now wearing that number.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
hawkfan68":21uaxedq said:
Jville":21uaxedq said:
Shaquill Griffin is still in the process of making a big jump from Central Florida to the NFL. And, although he is on a rookie learning curve, his progress has exceeded my expectations.

The Justin Coleman story is terrific. He originally signed with Minnesota. He had some practice squad time with Seattle. Then he goes to New England where he gets significant game snaps to develop as a player. Trading for him was well worth the price to avoid his initial developmental learning curve. I really like him on the inside. I thought Coleman was an exceptional and timely trade.

Good points. Justin Coleman reminds me a lot like Marcus Burley. In 2014, Marcus Burley was key depth player for the Seahawks. Justin Coleman is seems to be fitting that role for this team. There are so many similarities between the two it's uncanny. Burley was also acquired in a trade for a late rounder. He's 5'11, 185 pds. Coleman is 5'11, 190. Burley wore #28 for the Seahawks and Coleman is now wearing that number.

Marcus Burley is who I also thought of at the time of the announcement of Justin Coleman's acquisition. Similar type of interior corner. Didn't realize Burley wore the same number. I was disappointed with the departure of Burley. Justin replaces the loss of that type of corner. The defensive back field is better with Justin on board.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Jville":ojl45ff0 said:
scutterhawk":ojl45ff0 said:
Hmm, seems pretty clear to me what he (Seymour) meant, as with the way Wilson is being mugged, it doesn't appear that there's ANYONE playing "On The Offensive Line"

^^^^
It's not that difficult to discern. There are already countless posts littering the forum whose sole purpose is trashing and demeaning position groups, players and coaches. That is not the subject of this thread.

The subject / topic of this thread is ....."Pete Carroll has contingency plans at cornerback, left tackle".

Left Tackle is an O-Line position.....It's not about the "Trashing or Demeaning" of the Position Groups, Players and Coaches", it IS about fielding your best players, and seeing as how RW is constantly under the gun, we've yet to field our best....Coaching a rookie at their leisure, when he might be BETTER than Odhiambo (couldn't do much worse), and maybe even help at LEFT TACKLE.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
scutterhawk":17lmvy0l said:
Jville":17lmvy0l said:
scutterhawk":17lmvy0l said:
Hmm, seems pretty clear to me what he (Seymour) meant, as with the way Wilson is being mugged, it doesn't appear that there's ANYONE playing "On The Offensive Line"

^^^^
It's not that difficult to discern. There are already countless posts littering the forum whose sole purpose is trashing and demeaning position groups, players and coaches. That is not the subject of this thread.

The subject / topic of this thread is ....."Pete Carroll has contingency plans at cornerback, left tackle".

Left Tackle is an O-Line position.....It's not about the "Trashing or Demeaning" of the Position Groups, Players and Coaches", it IS about fielding your best players, and seeing as how RW is constantly under the gun, we've yet to field our best....Coaching a rookie at their leisure, when he might be BETTER than Odhiambo (couldn't do much worse), and maybe even help at LEFT TACKLE.

Russell Wilson is not a cornerback or left tackle. And to reiterate ... there are already countless posts littering the forum whose sole purpose is trashing and demeaning position groups, players and coaches. That is not the subject of this thread.

The subject / topic of this thread is ....."Pete Carroll has contingency plans at cornerback, left tackle". The article addresses the next men up at those respective positions. Consider reading or rereading the article.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score

Back on topic with a "contingency" corner ....... here is an interesting opinion piece that "Shaquill Griffin is the best newcomer for the Seahawks in 2017" >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.fieldgulls.com/2017/10/4/16424616/shaquill-griffin-best-newcomer-seahawks-2017[/urltargetblank]

It's a good read. To put rookie seasons into perspective, it includes is a clip of Richard Sherman giving up a touchdown in his first start. >>> [urltargetblank]https://giant.gfycat.com/ClumsyEthicalAustraliansilkyterrier.webm[/urltargetblank]

chris98251

Reaction score
If Rees starts the first play I drive into him right in the chest and fall on him, you know he is not healed and the weight and punch of a drive will cause issue even if it takes a few times. Chances are the Seahawks will not have multiple players active that can fill reasonable if he is active, advantage Rams.

At Corner we are limited unless we activate someone which in a week or so will make them waiver available.

It's game 5 and were already into our emergency situation players.

Plus todays injury report for practice have a lot of player one play away from aggravating or worsening a condition.

The Seahawks were minus nine players on the practice field Wednesday, with receiver Doug Baldwin (groin), tight end Jimmy Graham (ankle), left guard Luke Joeckel (knee), running back C.J. Prosise (ankle), defensive end Cliff Avril (neck), cornerback Jeremy Lane (groin), linebacker Michael Wilhoite (hamstring), cornerback Richard Sherman (groin), and safety Earl Thomas (knee) all sidelined to start Week 5. 

We need to put them in a group Hyperbolic chamber, wonder if Terrell Owens still uses his and if Wilsons super healing water is in stick at the VMAC.

HawkerD

Reaction score
I am stoked with what Griffen is providing. Better than anything Simon ever showed and much more athletic than Shead. He is seeing a lot of targets because QBs stay away from Sherman. Griffen is learning fast and he will be a stud by the end of the year

Seymour

Reaction score
chris98251":1saan24q said:
If Rees starts the first play I drive into him right in the chest and fall on him, you know he is not healed and the weight and punch of a drive will cause issue even if it takes a few times. Chances are the Seahawks will not have multiple players active that can fill reasonable if he is active, advantage Rams.

At Corner we are limited unless we activate someone which in a week or so will make them waiver available.

It's game 5 and were already into our emergency situation players.

Plus todays injury report for practice have a lot of player one play away from aggravating or worsening a condition.

The Seahawks were minus nine players on the practice field Wednesday, with receiver Doug Baldwin (groin), tight end Jimmy Graham (ankle), left guard Luke Joeckel (knee), running back C.J. Prosise (ankle), defensive end Cliff Avril (neck), cornerback Jeremy Lane (groin), linebacker Michael Wilhoite (hamstring), cornerback Richard Sherman (groin), and safety Earl Thomas (knee) all sidelined to start Week 5. 

We need to put them in a group Hyperbolic chamber, wonder if Terrell Owens still uses his and if Wilsons super healing water is in stick at the VMAC.

Why would the other team want him out of the game though? ;)

Seymour

Reaction score
Jville":1h2ncehn said:
scutterhawk":1h2ncehn said:

^^^^

The post (pic) was a direct and applicable response to YOUR POST. If you don't want to hear it, then I suggest you don't make ridiculously obtuse statements about what we have the luxury to afford. It was 100% on that topic that you took it to.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3ewngoyg said:
Jville":3ewngoyg said:
scutterhawk":3ewngoyg said:

^^^^

Your assumption that a rookie center could help at left tackle is a pretty ludicrous statement given our history of rookie OL under the Carroll/Cable regime.
Here's a list of rookies we've started day 1:
Carpenter and Moffatt - liability
Sweezy - liability
Britt - liability
Ifedi - liability.

I think though doth protest too much. I believe Cable thinks he has the best players out there now, although I suspect that Tobin might be better than Rees. I doubt Pocic is better than anyone right now but might be by later on in the year or early next year. Picking Glow over Aboushi was a miss, but to be fair, that was a tight battle and they went with the younger higher ceiling guy.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
HawkerD":2n33vu1z said:
I am stoked with what Griffen is providing. Better than anything Simon ever showed and much more athletic than Shead. He is seeing a lot of targets because QBs stay away from Sherman. Griffen is learning fast and he will be a stud by the end of the year

Agreed. I like what he brings to the defense. He'll be a great contingency plan for Lane and Shead until they return.
Coleman has been playing solid in nickel packages too. That pick six he had last week had me having flashbacks of Walter Thurmond in 2013

flmmkrz

Reaction score
Im also high on Shaq, I think he's equipped himself very well considering hes been thrust into starting roles a couple times, its a big step up in class from his college days but hes battling and hes around the ball, and not Kelly Jennings around th ball but competing for balls but considering hes going to get picked on a lot being the back up thrown in and opp sherm that hes not overwhelmed is showing me hes a gamer. Getting into games this early is only gonna help him adapt, and there will be some growing pains but I'll take that for the upside he looks to have over Lane

hawk45

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2hmqbusf said:
That's true, it was a good catch. But he was out of position on the long Brandon Williams TD and the early TY Hilton hit could have been more preventable. Couple others IIRC.

What long Brandon Williams TD? They scored on a Robert Turbin run after the long Brissett run. Then they scored on the nearly perfect throw and catch that I have zero problems with Griffin's coverage on and submit that Lane could and would do no better.

There weren't any other TDs unless I'm missing something.

Just my opinion but I don't think he played badly or even close to badly compared to other CB2s we've had in general and Lane in specific.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Mad Dog":3rhdazsm said:
scutterhawk":3rhdazsm said:
Jville":3rhdazsm said:
scutterhawk":3rhdazsm said:

^^^^

Your assumption that a rookie center could help at left tackle is a pretty ludicrous statement given our history of rookie OL under the Carroll/Cable regime.
Sweezy - liability
Britt - liability
Ifedi - liability.

I think though doth protest too much. I believe Cable thinks he has the best players out there now, although I suspect that Tobin might be better than Rees. I doubt Pocic is better than anyone right now but might be by later on in the year or early next year. Picking Glow over Aboushi was a miss, but to be fair, that was a tight battle and they went with the younger higher ceiling guy.
Pocic doesn't just play CENTER.
Fant wasn't a TRUE LT when he was thrown into the fray.
Britt wasn't Drafted as a Center.
Funny how we want to talk about an OFFENSIVE Tackle, yet IGNORE one of his most pertinent job on the Line; that duty being?, to do his BEST at protecting our once in a decade Franchise Quarterback.
Performance is the crux of this conversation?, the tail goes with the hide.

raisethe3

Reaction score
HawkerD":2khny2bi said:

Pretty much this. I hope he can nab that starting RCB (sorry Shead and Lane) for the years to come.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Grades for Joeckel have continued to rise and Britt remains a top center.

Ifedi still has average at best numbers but even the best of what we seen from him.

Aboushi is playing better than Glowinski was.

Perhaps we can get Pocic working at RG sometime next year, while I hope Ifedi continue to prove and Fant/free agent plays LT.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
I'm just hoping that whichever LT we end up with will use the opportunity to step up his game and prove to be a diamond in the rough. It's a longshot I know, but one can dream. How cool would that be?

Mad Dog

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3gq3q3r6 said:
Mad Dog":3gq3q3r6 said:
scutterhawk":3gq3q3r6 said:
Jville":3gq3q3r6 said:
^^^^

Sweezy - liability
Britt - liability
Ifedi - liability.

Pocic doesn't just play CENTER.
Fant wasn't a TRUE LT when he was thrown into the fray.
Britt wasn't Drafted as a Center.
Funny how we want to talk about an OFFENSIVE Tackle, yet IGNORE one of his most pertinent job on the Line; that duty being?, to do his BEST at protecting our once in a decade Franchise Quarterback.
Performance is the crux of this conversation?, the tail goes with the hide.

Not sure what your response has to do with my assertion that rookie O-linemen in the Cable era have been liabilities when started in their first year. Thanks for adding Fant to the list of liabilities although he didn't start day 1. It is magical thinking to believe that Pocic is an upgrade at any position on the OL. Same thinking that leads cancer patients to seek snake oil and experimental therapies over established proven treatments. When desperate people are making decisions they aren't always rational.
We all want a better OL but sometimes better happens by guys playing together more than by roulette with a bunch of JAGs.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2r7s5ypi said:
>>>>>>>>>>>Britt - liability<<<<<<<<<<<<
Not sure what your response has to do with my assertion that rookie O-linemen in the Cable era have been liabilities when started in their first year. Thanks for adding Fant to the list of liabilities although he didn't start day 1. It is magical thinking to believe that Pocic is an upgrade at any position on the OL. Same thinking that leads cancer patients to seek snake oil and experimental therapies over established proven treatments. When desperate people are making decisions they aren't always rational.
We all want a better OL but sometimes better happens by guys playing together more than by roulette with a bunch of JAGs.
Was it foolish that Cable moved Britt from his DRAFTED POSITION to play at Center?
You don't know what you don't know, UNTIL YOU TRY.....and as with your "Snake Oil" statement, SOME "Cancer Patients" (Like Our Daughter), exhausted all the traditional "Established Proven Treatments"....If only there were some "Experimental Snake Oil Treatment" for her, maybe she'd still be alive.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Seymour":ypuizrr3 said:
The post (pic) was a direct and applicable response to YOUR POST. If you don't want to hear it, then I suggest you don't make ridiculously obtuse statements about what we have the luxury to afford. It was 100% on that topic that you took it to.

I thought the pic of Wilson in the grasp of two (seemingly unblocked) Rams pass rushers was 1000% on topic, not to mention timely (Rams game), and funny as hell. It's on topic because that pic shows what we are hoping the contingency plans at tackle can *prevent* us from seeing so much of again. The Rams D-Line and pass rushers have absolutely FEASTED on our O-Line during the Pete Carroll era, including in 2013. (Bowie and Bailey, anyone?)

I wasn't aware we had lost Joey Hunt; oh well, Pocic is probably a better backup center bet anyway. Oops, back on topic to Left Tackle... I had gathered that Tobin was brought in as a fallback plan for Fant at LT, so if Odhiambo won that competition, props to him. And how about a contingency plan of... Bevell designing a game plan that reduces the exposure of our LT position. If we can make Robert Quinn have to run 10 yards further to get Wilson, that's a win.

Corner... I don't really understand all the Jeremy Lane hate on here. He's not Kelly Jennings... Lane picked off Tom Brady in the Super Bowl, for Pete's sake! And his thanks was to get his ACL blown out and forearm shattered. If Lane isn't 100% the player he was before those two major injuries, he is at the very least a very serviceable and savvy veteran. You go blow out your ACL and then try covering any of these ankle-breaking WR types the NFL is full of. Good luck with that.

Corner some more... Shaq Griffin exceeded my expectations. The TD on him was a play I just have to tip my cap to the offensive player on. Fantastic play, well covered, one player was luckier than the other, on that one, it happens sometimes. Super happy we have Justin Coleman, and yes, the Burley comparison is on the mark; to my eyes, Coleman looks like an even better player than Burley. Burley and Lane... two players that kept us from winning Super Bowl 49, by not being on the field. Lane because of injury, and Burley because some fool coach activated Tharald "Toast" Simon and left Burley inactive for the game.