Pete Carroll Philosophy

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
My favorite is the constant "you're satisfied with just making the playoffs" when it's not even CLOSE to the truth. That never gets old.
And IF they win a big game, don't you dare be happy!!!!

Lol. I'm pretty sure I wont have to worry about it.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Nobody says Pete is perfect. Then again what coach is? Of course us armchair coaches find it easy to criticize sitting on the sidelines looking back in hindsight. Which coach is more consistent? Sometimes players just don’t fit in our system or culture. You talk about players leaving and playing better but I think we have gotten more players from other teams that played better for us! People also act like Pete is just satisfied with getting to the playoffs?!?! Many of us long time fans know what not winning really looks like. We can appreciate what we have now. Many want to cherry pick what they do wrong and how much better we could be if we hired that person or changed schemes or just did things their way. Hahaha. Armchair coaches who don’t know anything or they would be doing it. IMHO the only reason they have gotten to the playoffs consistantly is due to Pete and staff despite an obvious lack of talent. This league is built on parity and Pete and staff have been bucking that trend for a long time now.

Nobody is saying Pete is satisfied with just making the playoffs, i'm saying a lot of fans are content with it and still view Pete in the light of walking on water. Great regular seasons and playoff appearances are nice I guess because hey,,,,at least they arent losing like they have before, but getting knocked out of the post season early like they do year after year isnt the consistency i'm looking for. Thats all i'm saying. Make the next step or get off the pot. I think its high time that Pete got off the pot because I dont see the next step happening with him.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Nice list. Mostly made up of aging players when they left, but I get what your trying.

What young players who played better elsewhere were you talking about?

The fact that my list was compromised of players on the downside after leaving is a good thing, and only helps my case.

Also, I'll leave this here for you.

20230516 184825

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Lol. I'm pretty sure I wont have to worry about it.

Yeah, well, in March of last year you were pretty sure Wilson would throw more TD passes in the game against the Seahawks than the Seahawks would have wins in the season. 🤷‍♂️

You were only off by nine TD passes in the game. Or by 12 games for Wilson (out of his 15-game season).

themunn

Reaction score
Nice list. Mostly made up of aging players when they left, but I get what your trying.

Which players left in their prime and got better?

And which of those players were vastly overpaid despite that?

Golden Tate
Maybe Frank Clark, but he was traded for a great haul, massively overpaid, and statistically was better as a Seahawk than a Chief

Anyone else?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Which players left in their prime and got better?

And which of those players were vastly overpaid despite that?

Golden Tate
Maybe Frank Clark, but he was traded for a great haul, massively overpaid, and statistically was better as a Seahawk than a Chief

Anyone else?

I was thinking more on the lines of Unger, Okung, Richardson, Collins, and players of those ilk.

seahawks08

Reaction score
The way Pete is wired, he should have won 3 rings by now. That was his vision when he addressed the fans in Qwest field after the parade, “we are just getting started”. Luck didn’t favor us and losing the next Superbowl sucked the soul out of players, coaches and fans. I commend Pete and John in many ways to weather the storm and also recover from some questionable moves. Either way I feel we have turned the corner. I am excited to see the rookies battle during training camp and Pre Season

themunn

Reaction score
I was thinking more on the lines of Unger, Okung, Richardson, Collins, and players of those ilk.
Okung never managed a 16 game season once with us, in fact the only time he did in his entire career was the eyar after he left us - and the Broncos cut him after one season.

Richardson played for 3 teams in the 4 seasons after we cut him.

Collins had one OKish season in Baltimore and that was it for his entire career.

Unger I can maybe give you, but we traded him after he missed TEN games with injury in 2014, and the player we got back in return set franchise records for receptions yards and TDs for a TE, making 2 pro bowls in the process. People simply had unrealistically high expectations for him. Likewise Unger was replaced with Britt, a cheap solution who wasn't the huge step down everyone seems to think he was - he made the same number of pro bowls in the following years as Unger

keasley45

Reaction score
Now that everybody's done stroking Carrolls ego, lets look at it all. Yeah Pete is the best thing to happen to the franchise because he won a Super Bowl. If he hadent and Holmgren or Knox won one, they would be the best thing for the franchise. Pete bringing in head cases bites him as much as it lauds him. A lot of players leave Seattle and play better elsewhere. Take Bobby for example, he played better in LA than he did for a few years in Seattle. What about Dunlap having to tell the staff they were playing him wrong and then he came alive once they adjusted that. Pete's a great motivator, but he's pretty pedestrian in the X and O's aspect and I believe thats the biggest need. And besides last season, when has Pete Carroll teams won more than they are expected to win? They pretty much lay eggs in the post season so I dont get that comment at all.

The bottom line is most players benefit from a great coach more so than a buddy or a friend.

Knox was a great head coach but even if he'd won a SB, the Hawks success during his tenure doesn't come close to what PC has accomplished. - and I love me some Ground Chuck.

Can say the same for Holmgren. He was an offensive mastermind but our defenses were never respected and he was unceremoniously stripped of his GM duties when it was obvious he was no more than a great coach and OC. And that's not diminishing what he did for the team and the city. He brought us legitimacy before even coaching a game by virtue of his reputation alone.

They were both great, but in their greatness never accomplished what PC has in essentially assembling a roster, culture, philosophy, and winning tradition that made the Hawks the most successful franchise in the league over a decade.
Look around the league. The always compete mantra that every team now pushes... started in Seattle under PC. High tempo, high competition, music blasting practices? PC. His style and philosophy forced league wide rules changes. And to virtually a man, everyone who has come and gone through the doors of team HQs comments that the culture and overall quality of the organization in Seattle is 2nd to none. You could also slmost say the same for our win%, were it not for the last 2 seasons.

Did we win all the titles the Pat's did? No, but neither did anyone else who wasn't gifted with the GOAT and a cakewalk of a conference schedule every year.

And he accomplished what he has in Seattle while being viewed as a cast aside coach from the day he got here. He was called a cheater, a has been, out of touch, behind the times, and better suited for the college game. And to this day, that unfair characterization has without a doubt kept him from receiving full credit for just how great a coach he is. But his players see it, the FO sees it. Even if some fans don't.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score

That's a pretty flimsy list, especially compared to the list I threw up.

To say that Pete doesn't get the best out of his players when there's a 30 year history of college and pro rosters he's won Championships with is just a categorically bad take.

In fact, tapping into the zeitgeist of a players personality, background and what makes him tick in order to get the best out of him is probably Pete's greatest coaching trait. Pete practically invented the psychology of an athlete.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
You guys do realize you're arguing with a guy who is on the record as saying he wants Pete gone & does not care who the replacement was & does not care if the move even works out & we go 2-14 for a few years. He just wants to see if he's right.

He actually posted this.

He's the poster child for fans who do not care how the team does, it's more important for them to be viewed as being right.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
You guys do realize you're arguing with a guy who is on the record as saying he wants Pete gone & does not care who the replacement was & does not care if the move even works out & we go 2-14 for a few years. He just wants to see if he's right.

He actually posted this.

He's the poster child for fans who do not care how the team does, it's more important for them to be viewed as being right.
Lots of folks here with that same MO. I just sift through the fart sniffing to find the good posts that are actually interesting to debate/discuss. My ignore list is really large though, which is uncommon for me and most Internet discussion forums.

As for Pete, I love Pete Carroll and think we're lucky to have him. Most of the players say the same thing and I'd definitely trust them before some old dude on an Internet board that sews drama for the sake of being right.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
The FIRE PETE stuff gets really old. Pete is a good enough coach to win if his FO provides him with a solid lineup. Otherwise he's like every other coach in the league when they have a subpar roster.

What has Belichek done since Brady left? How many Superbowls did Andy Reid win without Mahomes? McCarthy without Rodgers and Matthews? What happened to the Rams last year without Donald, Kupp and Stafford?

If you want to win the Super Bowl you need a stud lineup and competent to great QB. No coach wins without the horses. Give Pete a championship worthy roster and he'll have you competing for a Lombardi.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
That's a pretty flimsy list, especially compared to the list I threw up.

To say that Pete doesn't get the best out of his players when there's a 30 year history of college and pro rosters he's won Championships with is just a categorically bad take.

In fact, tapping into the zeitgeist of a players personality, background and what makes him tick in order to get the best out of him is probably Pete's greatest coaching trait. Pete practically invented the psychology of an athlete.

It was just a list illustrating that Pete isnt the jedi that fans make him out to be. Players have gone elsewhere and have played better than they did in Seattle.

Pete won titles with teams that were stacked everywhere. Thats what it takes for him to win the big games. Point is, he isnt going to outcoach other teams. He needs to out talent them.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
They were both great, but in their greatness never accomplished what PC has in essentially assembling a roster, culture, philosophy, and winning tradition that made the Hawks the most successful franchise in the league over a decade.

Neither of them had a franchise QB like Wilson either. Put three teams together with the same talent and i'd take Knox and Holmgren over Carroll every single time.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Neither of them had a franchise QB like Wilson either. Put three teams together with the same talent and i'd take Knox and Holmgren over Carroll every single time.
Pete Carroll is why Russell Wilson was the starter in Seattle his rookie year. Comments like these are just so over the top ridiculous. You do everything you can to diminish and undermine Pete's football IQ and you just look silly everytime. Give it a rest.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
It was just a list illustrating that Pete isnt the jedi that fans make him out to be. Players have gone elsewhere and have played better than they did in Seattle.

Pete won titles with teams that were stacked everywhere. Thats what it takes for him to win the big games. Point is, he isnt going to outcoach other teams. He needs to out talent them.
Pete Carroll coached the 2022 Seahawks, a team largely depleted of talent and without their previous franchise QB, to the playoffs. They certainly did not get there by out-talenting the rest of the league nor by magic fairy dust.

Seriously man, you are so incredibly biased against Pete. What did he do to you?