Pete dropped this gem today

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":2cl7vt4w said:
jdemps":2cl7vt4w said:
Well, we're not getting comp picks next year so maybe we can bring back Okung... if he'll do another 1 year/ $5 million deal.
He met his incentives so he took home $8M, not $5M.
Wasn't one of the incentives based on playing like 95% of the season? Food for thought for those who consider him too fragile to play for us.

chris98251

Reaction score
1 dollar contract 500,000 per game check. less 50,000 for each false start and holding call.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
chris98251":1ouoh5d1 said:
1 dollar contract 500,000 per game check. less 50,000 for each false start and holding call.

....and you really think that the NFL would allow such a contract? :roll:

WmHBonney

Reaction score
I sure hope that Russell loses a few pounds in the off season to gain back his speed. He is going to need it.

Jville

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1xh5bg5n said:
Anyone know anything about that Myers guy we brought in at the end of the season? Believe he's a guard.

Robert Myers is one of three competitors they plan on looking at for right tackle competition. Other teams have looked at Myers as a guard. His college experience is on the right side at both positions. Seahawk criteria at right tackle appears to be in flux. Myers processes excellent size and arrives from a different background than other recent candidates. His 33 3/4 inch arm length falls in between that of Justin Britt and James Carpenter.

The two conversion projects that finished as starters at both tackle spots last year struggled with outside zone blocking. In fact, there were a number of games where they didn't even bother trying to run their outside zone. Both starting tackles need to be stronger and more physical in 2017. With a league wide shortage of big offensive linemen in full bloom, finding someone with the size to mold into a powerful run blocking tackle necessitates bigger reaches. Robert Myers, as a candidate, represents one such approach.

In my mind, finding a powerful right tackle that can assert his will as an outside zone blocker ranks #1 among offensive priorities. And although right tackle has become most intriguing, I do believe an upgrade in run blocking on the left side is also a priority. George Fant made a sound decision to stay in town and continue his metamorphosis into a premier left tackle. Developing premier tackles is a most desirable goal ..... it all fits.

chris98251

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":sg7url80 said:
chris98251":sg7url80 said:

NFL would, NFLPA would not.

sutz

Reaction score
It's that time of year, guys.

FoodIdioms.jpg

Coaches and GMs get really cagey this time of year, so listen with a careful ear.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":53qzblne said:
kidhawk":53qzblne said:
To be fair, this was the context:

Reporter: He's (Talking about Fant) Your Left Tackle Right Now?

Pete: Yeah, he's our left tackle.

There was no statement of Fant being our starter week 1 or anything like that, only that he's our starter right now, which he is. That doesn't mean there won't be competition at the position. Doesn't mean there will be, but it's off season coach speak that really means nothing at all

This is what I got out of it too. There were a few questions on this point and Pete put up the competition motto at all positions. IF we can get better production out of a newby, we will start them. If they can get better production because we brought in competition, then we have done our job.

Me as well. The question is, is the guy or guys they bring in going to be top shelf or middle of the pack. No matter if it is through fa or the draft. Both he and js have said they are bring in vets because they were too young. I'm sure Lt is first on the list. I think, hope, that they saw the errors in their ways with Russ getting hurt a few times last year. Coupled with the lack of running game, it needs to change. The rbs might stay healthy if they don't have to fight so much for every inch. Who knows, with a decent run blocking line, Ac could break out and be a stud. He flashed a few times.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Thank you for the Myers breakdown Jville. I just remember him as having thunder thighs at the combine.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":16t3tv3k said:
Seahawkfan80":16t3tv3k said:
kidhawk":16t3tv3k said:
To be fair, this was the context:

Reporter: He's (Talking about Fant) Your Left Tackle Right Now?

Pete: Yeah, he's our left tackle.

There was no statement of Fant being our starter week 1 or anything like that, only that he's our starter right now, which he is. That doesn't mean there won't be competition at the position. Doesn't mean there will be, but it's off season coach speak that really means nothing at all

This is what I got out of it too. There were a few questions on this point and Pete put up the competition motto at all positions. IF we can get better production out of a newby, we will start them. If they can get better production because we brought in competition, then we have done our job.

Me as well. The question is, is the guy or guys they bring in going to be top shelf or middle of the pack. No matter if it is through fa or the draft. Both he and js have said they are bring in vets because they were too young. I'm sure Lt is first on the list. I think, hope, that they saw the errors in their ways with Russ getting hurt a few times last year. Coupled with the lack of running game, it needs to change. The rbs might stay healthy if they don't have to fight so much for every inch. Who knows, with a decent run blocking line, Ac could break out and be a stud. He flashed a few times.

My guess would have to be probably in the middle of the pack due to financial concerns. I believe in what Hawkstorian said about our salary cap being about 10 mil available to play around with. The rest of the 27mil (17 Mil) will probably go to all the draft picks and incidentals.

Side note. Thanks Jville for the rundown on Myers. Much appreciated.

Largent80

Reaction score
Defensive lines rule the roost these days. I'm not even sure if they went out and got a "proven" tackle that they would succeed in this system.

HawkGA

Reaction score
chris98251":39k4dh48 said:
Bigpumpkin":39k4dh48 said:
chris98251":39k4dh48 said:

NFL would, NFLPA would not.

Sign him after week 1 and you could probably get away with something close to that as the contracts aren't guaranteed the way they are if you're on the active roster week 1.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
RussB":3rc01pxb said:
And that will be the downfall once again. 2 seasons in a row and it seems like pete still doesnt care to address the achilles heel.

Names. This conversation is worthless without naming who we should have added to address this.

kf3339":3rc01pxb said:
I only hope this year Paul Allen spoke up to both JS and PC about the O-Line issue. I seriously doubt it, but he is the only person who could get thru to them and make a meaningful change.

The reality is that this team is going to get old quick and our window will be lost while they are screwing around constantly fixing the O-line. The real need is to add a quality RT in FA even if it costs us extra in cap room.

Again. Names. Who.

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":22gcw8m2 said:
RussB":22gcw8m2 said:
And that will be the downfall once again. 2 seasons in a row and it seems like pete still doesnt care to address the achilles heel.

Names. This conversation is worthless without naming who we should have added to address this.

kf3339":22gcw8m2 said:
I only hope this year Paul Allen spoke up to both JS and PC about the O-Line issue. I seriously doubt it, but he is the only person who could get thru to them and make a meaningful change.

The reality is that this team is going to get old quick and our window will be lost while they are screwing around constantly fixing the O-line. The real need is to add a quality RT in FA even if it costs us extra in cap room.

Again. Names. Who.
Whitworth,Remmers, Luke joekel. Maybe a joe thomas trade. Gaurds like TJ lang are also free agents.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Fant has the tools. He hasn't yet had a full offseason. What that translates to, is about as unknown as a draft pick.

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1ecznj5f said:
Fant has the tools. He hasn't yet had a full offseason. What that translates to, is about as unknown as a draft pick.
Its laughable having a baskeyball player blocking guys like robert quin and chandler jones. Fant can be the backup but the team needs an actual lineman while fant tries to develop into a starting caliber tackle. Because the truth is he isnt, and he wont be next year either. It would take time.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
RussB":3cvm47xn said:
MontanaHawk05":3cvm47xn said:
Its laughable having a baskeyball player blocking guys like robert quin and chandler jones. Fant can be the backup but the team needs an actual lineman while fant tries to develop into a starting caliber tackle. Because the truth is he isnt, and he wont be next year either. It would take time.

Whether Fant is good at BBall is irrelevant, however it may increase his general atheleticism.

If he can be(come) a good tackle, we keep him. If someone beats him out in camp, we'll be better. If he reaches his ceiling, we'll be thrilled. "Actual Lineman" means someone has learned the position. They aren't born that way...

Seafan

Reaction score
Surprised?

Why?

I expect the Hawks to sign a veteran tackle for competition and depth. Not a $5mil+ variety but more of the less than $2mil type. This is a bad year for tackles in the draft. If Cable can develop a Giac into an NFL tackle I'm sure they'll get it done this season. It seems that continuity will be an added plus this year. I'm glad for that. The Hawks were a couple Haushka kicks short of home field advantage and likely hosting the NFCC. Not that they would have won with all their injuries but it says the OL isn't as bad as some might think.

chris98251

Reaction score
Seafan":33nhbyng said:
Surprised?

Why?

I expect the Hawks to sign a veteran tackle for competition and depth. Not a $5mil+ variety but more of the less than $2mil type. This is a bad year for tackles in the draft. If Cable can develop a Giac into an NFL tackle I'm sure they'll get it done this season. It seems that continuity will be an added plus this year. I'm glad for that. The Hawks were a couple Haushka kicks short of home field advantage and likely hosting the NFCC. Not that they would have won with all their injuries but it says the OL isn't as bad as some might think.

Your right being ranked 32 isn't that bad.