Pete:Gilliam gave opportunity for someone to take his spot.

Largent80

Reaction score
Britt was drafted to play RT and did for his full first year.

It didn't work out. Last year he played LG, didn't work out.

This year....C and it is working out. A 3 year project that is finally paying dividends.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Everyone should be reminded, that while Sowell may be an improvement at RT it is ever so slight.

I'm almost more worried about the continued penalties Sowell gets during games than his play since it's nearly a wash with Gilliam.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Wow, and Gilliam was being praised this offseason as a sleeper solid LT. He's fallen off a long way.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Attitude is important. Sowell has a "don't back down" mentality. Gilliam seems soft. We're trying to get to the point where we impose our will on teams.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
nwHawk":6veuw62u said:
Attitude is important. Sowell has a "don't back down" mentality. Gilliam seems soft. We're trying to get to the point where we impose our will on teams.

I'll agree with this. I also see a huge "want-to" from Sowell. He was devastated when he was injured earlier this year, and once he found out it wasn't a major injury he hounded Pete about starting again.

That's at least something positive to come out of this.

cymatica

Reaction score
nwHawk":2xwgxjb4 said:

Wasn't sowell the one that everyone complained about giving up on plays?

Bobblehead

Reaction score
"I think the opportunity for somebody else to take (Gilliam's) spot was there,"

Which is subtly different from what the tweet said, but basically the same message.
The tweet to me says, Gilliam wasn't trying, where as the actual quote says to me that what ever performance Gilliam was giving, just wasn't good enough.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
McGruff":2qndtcjd said:
OkieHawk":2qndtcjd said:
MontanaHawk05":2qndtcjd said:
That's unusually blunt of Pete to put it that way. I doubt Gilliam is much longer for this team.

Probably not a noticeable cap hit it cut.

No need to cut him. Just let his contract play out at the end of this year.

Holy hell you're correct...for some reason I was thinking he was on his third year of a 4 year deal.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Odhiambo is better than Fant, Sowell and Gilliam.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
NJSeaHawk":1v39nxne said:
Carroll said Garry Gilliam gave an opportunity for someone to take his spot, so Sowell is getting a chance at RT. Fant staying at LT, Sowell getting the start at RT.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Curtis_Crabtree/status/804064690984787968[/tweet]
. And of
Course Sowell sucked too! Who else you got Pete? Who else in your collection of
Arena league lineman will you give a shot to before you admit your mistake and bring in an NFL capable starter for
at least one position on our line?

ivotuk

Reaction score
cymatica":1d9wwgn3 said:
nwHawk":1d9wwgn3 said:

Wasn't sowell the one that everyone complained about giving up on plays?

Incorrect. Sowell is a fighter. He got in trouble for starting several fights in training camp and Mike B had to sit him down and talk to him.

Sowell "In my family, you don't back down from anyone."

He's a bona fide Jim Mora "dirtbag."

IIRC, he has some brothers and they went at it growing up. I love having Sowell on this team, he's the latest version of the "Big Russian" Now if he can just provoke opposing DL for 15 yard penalties :2thumbs:

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Largent80":nhnp3mim said:
Britt was drafted to play RT and did for his full first year.

It didn't work out. Last year he played LG, didn't work out.

This year....C and it is working out. A 3 year project that is finally paying dividends.

Britt probably wouldn't be as good or as competent especially mentally had he not taken those lumps at both positions.

On the OPs topic in general:

Gilliam had a lot of promise athletically but could he improve his mental game and overall toughness?

I think he just kind of fell into a hole, first spending his off-season training to be an LT, losing valuable and training reps in TC because of Cyst surgery. Thusly, losing LT spot to Sowell because lack of practice. Webb being a total flub dealing with his own injuries then lack effort and what not didn't allow for quality competition.

So not making excuses for Gilliam but losing that LT opportunity ($$$) probably frustrated him is my guess. Added to the lack of quality competition at a position he was probably a poor fit at to begin with compared to the aggressive mailers they had there in the past. So from a competitive stand point I can understand if he got content in just doing enough and just didnt compete at a high level. Perhaps adding to it was his overall lack of experience just wasn't a great pairing for Ifedi's own growth. Maybe they just didn't work well together and made too many mistakes if thier was a lack of chemistry.

Lastly, this could be a twofer, 1) not only lighting a fire under Gilliam to make him compete harder, work harder for his opportunity like he did in 2015 in the 2nd half of the season. 2) But also getting Sowell experience at RT and some playing time off that injury without taking reps from Fant in the process. Since Sowell is more or less the swing guy now. Make them both compete and see if one will rise up to the occasion since they are both playing for thier NFL livelihood going forward.

Not the smartest decision to shake things up so late in the process but I understand because that process hasn't been available until now. You want guys to improve and work hard you put pressure on thier opportunity and you see if they respond accordingly because no one likes to be demoted. Shit gets real when you know your job is on the line. Focus, responsibility, sense of urgency, effort all that jazz especially with fringe players like Gillliam and Sowell who have uncertainty of being able to continue to establish a future in this league if they can't show some consistency and aptitude.

Hawks46

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":270y8sgc said:
Everyone should be reminded, that while Sowell may be an improvement at RT it is ever so slight.

I'm almost more worried about the continued penalties Sowell gets during games than his play since it's nearly a wash with Gilliam.

My one optimistic thought on this is that the RT usually faces a strength DE and not an elite speed guy. Sowell has had problems with the elite speed guys, but not the stronger bull rush type DE's that are stout vs. the run. Gilliam was better against speed guys but got worked by the maulers.

I'm hoping RT is a better fit for Sowell than LT was. He anchors somewhat better than Gilliam does.