Pete Mic'd Up

Rocket

Reaction score
At various times after the clock ran out three different people essentially "confessed" as to their culpability.

Wilson doesn't call plays so he's off the hook, but it shows character and brass huevos to put the loss on his shoulders.

It's evident in Pete Carrolls character that he would take the blame, responsibility and burden regardless of his culpability, but irrefutable proof isn't there that Pete decided to pass. I too have seen Sound FX's and my recollection is that Pete often has the tone of a question when talking on the headset.

Bevell, however, attempted to lay blame on Lockette, and that is irrefutable. Bevell also said he calls the plays and that too is irrefutable. To me those two facts strongly suggest Bevell made the decision to pass.

I'm a fan of the theory that Bevell held the clipboard while Pete held only the sword... upon which he's fallen repeatedly. Because of his character.

Anthony!

Reaction score
So a few things, 1. it does prove Pete did not call that play. 2 it also proves that they do indeed change the way the call plays on offense, and take the foot off the pedal. Both of these are disturbing.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Rocket":3c6d2h9r said:
At various times after the clock ran out three different people essentially "confessed" as to their culpability.

Wilson doesn't call plays so he's off the hook, but it shows character and brass huevos to put the loss on his shoulders.

It's evident in Pete Carrolls character that he would take the blame, responsibility and burden regardless of his culpability, but irrefutable proof isn't there that Pete decided to pass. I too have seen Sound FX's and my recollection is that Pete often has the tone of a question when talking on the headset.

Bevell, however, attempted to lay blame on Lockette, and that is irrefutable. Bevell also said he calls the plays and that too is irrefutable. To me those two facts strongly suggest Bevell made the decision to pass.

I'm a fan of the theory that Bevell held the clipboard while Pete held only the sword... upon which he fallen repeatedly. Because of his character.

Another believe what you want to believe post. You believe Bevel when he says he made the play call, because you want to believe that, but you don't believe Carroll when he says he wanted to pass....why is that? Because you want to believe Pete is the good guy here. The fact is, there is enough blame to go around.

1) Lockette COULD have gone harder after the ball

2) Wilson COULD have thrown it a little to the right

3) Kearse could have actually gotten his job done and created the extra second of space for Lockette

4) Pete could have told Bevel to call a run there, but instead told him to draw up a pass play

5) Bevel could have drawn up a scramble pass play to give Russell a chance to throw it away if the play wasn't there

6) Pete, Russell, Bevel could have changed the play when the Patriots sent in their nickel cornerback.

None of the above happened. All could take a little piece of the blame. Most of it falls on the play caller, but that in no way changes the fact that Pete has often told Bevel that he wants a pass play in a certain situation or he wants to run it in a certain situation. I've heard him say it on multiple occasions. Pete still doesn't call the play, and there are multiple plays that could be called in the scenario we were in. Bevel chose one hardly anyone else would have chosen.

People will believe what they want to believe regardless of the actual facts in front of them. There is no good reason to believe that Pete didn't ask for a pass there, except for people's desire to believe it didn't happen that way.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Kearse could have caught that deep ball earlier in the game. Simon could have avoided giving up TDs to the Pats. Lane and Avril could have not gotten injured.

Butler could have not intercepted Russell's pass.

We lost. They won. What ifs don't really matter at this point.

Daytomann

Reaction score
Pete pull your head out of your ass. It's one of the last plays of the SB and the win is on the line and you ask "What do we. Have going on"??!!??!!
Bad form Pete....very bad form.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
kidhawk":er44zwwr said:
hawk45":er44zwwr said:
kidhawk":er44zwwr said:
Well generally speaking, a confession is usually proof beyond doubt for those who don't want to believe differently.

While it is possible and even likely that Pete decided pass or run in this instance, I don't find the above statement to be true at all in general. For someone confessing to a criminal act it may largely be true because otherwise who would subject themselves to criminal penalties, and even in those cases the confession will be limited to the minimum they believe can be proven and will paint things in the best possible light.

For someone in position of leading any kind of team, or in any situation (family for example) where shifting blame to themselves serves to protect another, confessions are unreliable. Much less an NFL football coach who at every single turn is going to shift blame to himself to protect players either out of leadership instincts or fear of losing the locker room.

So using the above statement as a premise to needle disbelievers as having their own agenda seems unfair to me.

People who don't believe Pete wanted a pass play there, just want to believe it was all on Bevel. Now, Bevel may have already been thinking pass play and Pete's saying to pass there may have had zero impact, but there is no reason to doubt Pete with the history he has of telling Bevel when he prefers a run or when he prefers a pass. Anyone who's seen most of the Sound FX episodes have had to have seen pete say similar things in other games. The fact that he has the history, along with the fact that he admitted to doing it adds up to equal more than enough evidence that it's more than likely true. Just like the fact that Bevel said that even though Pete called for a pass, he calls the plays and it was his choice to call the slant with Lockette in that situation. With the evidence we have, believing it happened otherwise is looking at it with blinders on. If that makes people feel better, then so be it, but I prefer to go along with what the evidence points to, and then just move along, because whether Pete said the words or not, Bevel still made the call, and Pete supports him and he isn't going anywhere. Eventually we have to just move past it.

My problem with the play is that if we are going to pass it, that has to be one of the worst calls imaginable...at least try a playaction or roll wilson out so he has the option to run it in for the win.....I hate Bevel..I really do

Rocket

Reaction score
kidhawk":1raomyt5 said:
Rocket":1raomyt5 said:
Another believe what you want to believe post. You believe Bevel when he says he made the play call, because you want to believe that, but you don't believe Carroll when he says he wanted to pass....why is that? Because you want to believe Pete is the good guy here.
Why is that?
I believe I answered that before you asked that. See above.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Daytomann":14a2m3s4 said:
Pete pull your head out of your ass. It's one of the last plays of the SB and the win is on the line and you ask "What do we. Have going on"??!!??!!
Bad form Pete....very bad form.
You have no context for his question. You don't know why he asked it or to what specifically he was referring.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Pete says he said to throw... he didn't call the actual play.

So him asking what they have going might be the actual design of play rather than the decision to throw.