The reality of Hawks and the NFL

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I don’t post here much but here it goes.

Pete isn’t going anywhere. As long as JS is here, Pete will be here. There are coaches who go years without making the playoffs and keep their jobs. The fact Pete got us in the playoffs last year was amazing.

The NFL is a product of its scheduling. We are a very mediocre team. We can beat bad teams, we can’t beat good teams, and we will split the games against other mediocre teams. Is anyone actually surprised we have lost four straight. When the schedule came out I basically said we aren’t winning any of these games.

The team had talent, but some fans think we are one of the most talented rosters in the NFL. We have pretty average talent across the board. How many top 5 or top 10 players do we have at any given position? Not many.

Until we find a franchise QB, we will be like 75% of the rest of the leagues stuck between bad and mediocre.

Ozzy

Reaction score
But I think the point people make is how in the world does Pete think this team is one player away and trade away valuable capitol for a half season rental in Williams at the deadline? It borders on bizarre some of the moves we’ve made

DeSeahawk

Reaction score
But I think the point people make is how in the world does Pete think this team is one player away and trade away valuable capitol for a half season rental in Williams at the deadline? It borders on bizarre some of the moves we’ve made
Bing ! You win !

knownone

Reaction score
Despite a terrible stretch over the past month, the Seahawks are a handful of plays from being in the playoffs and are currently half a game out of the playoffs.

Similarly, we won't know if Williams is a rental until this offseason. What we do know is he's the team's highest-rated defensive tackle. And if he does sign elsewhere, we'll likely get a 3rd or 4th round compensatory pick if he stays anywhere near his current salary. So that move, even with the benefit of hindsight, is not bizarre. I mean, they were 5-2 when they made the trade.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
The difference between a 9-4 team and a 4-9 team is literally minuscule. A play that goes right here, a play that goes wrong there...

Simple truth of it all, we are never as good as we think we are and certainly never as bad as we think we are.

A made field goal here, a bad call taken away there and we are all singing a different tune.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
On 9-4 being equivalent to 4-9, I doubt it.
This stuff averages out over time. You certainly never hear this viewpoint when we are 9-4 but you probably will when we are at or close to 4-9.

But its likely the kind of mentality this team is trying to cultivate in our fan base.

People ask why we trade for Williams when we probably have no shot at a playoff and not really any kind of contender. That makes sense, if you think the goal is the playoffs.

But if you consider the goal is to stay at .500 or above it - the trade makes sense. As long as this team is at .500 or above it - this team is still a 'winning' team. Anything below is losing. It makes a difference in how/when fans spend.

It sure seems Pete is the coach because he can tread water with this team. I'm convinced of that. And failing that, seeing better opponents on the horizon - we made a move. Because even .500 was at risk.

seabowl

Reaction score
The problem is both sides of the ball don’t and haven’t looked good. The defense for the most part for the last five years has been pretty bad. The offense, the last four years has really only had one good season, which was last year. Before that, this board, including myself, was clamoring for the Seahawks to build the offensive line, because RW was running for his life. That really never transpired. The moves made, have not worked out such as Adams, Jones, Diggs, Williams trade (for what they gave up thinking he’s a missing piece), etc. on top of all of this, you have a guy in DK Metcalf, that on many teams would be an absolute superstar but on the Seahawks, he’s JAG. It seems it’s always the coordinators faults for the misgivings hence the revolving door.

Put all of this together, and it leads to the management, coaching, and OWNERSHIP of the team, not living up to expectations. Jody Allen in my opinion is the only one that can make things happen but who knows where she’s at with anything.

Right now, the Hawks are a ship with the wrong crew and the owner of the ship is nowhere to be found.

getnasty

Reaction score
I think this is one of Pete's biggest faults but I also love it about him. Everyone knows there not one player away, everyone except Pete who I truly believe thinks they might be one player away if all goes right.

He's an optimism and loves to compete and unfortunately sometimes that clouds the vision of reality a bit.

Pete would not do well as the Mariners coach.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Despite a terrible stretch over the past month, the Seahawks are a handful of plays from being in the playoffs and are currently half a game out of the playoffs.

Similarly, we won't know if Williams is a rental until this offseason. What we do know is he's the team's highest-rated defensive tackle. And if he does sign elsewhere, we'll likely get a 3rd or 4th round compensatory pick if he stays anywhere near his current salary. So that move, even with the benefit of hindsight, is not bizarre. I mean, they were 5-2 when they made the trade.
We almost never get compensatory picks so I don't think that's a given as its evaluated as a whole and not an individual basis right? I could be wrong on how that system works but it seems like Seattle never gets those picks even with players leaving.

I think it was bizarre because they should've had a better pulse on where they were at. They had also played one of the easiest schedules in the league up to that point. With him they are almost dead last in every single statistical category or near it. Most experts around the league did not have Seattle as one player away and didn't list them as a top 5-6 team even at 5-2. If that's the case you would assume Pete/John would have an even better idea of who they truly were.

But Seattle can still make the playoffs with 4 winnable games and I think they may actually win out so lets hope for the best and maybe you're right. That move was awesome and will bring playoff success.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think this is one of Pete's biggest faults but I also love it about him. Everyone knows there not one player away, everyone except Pete who I truly believe thinks they might be one player away if all goes right.

He's an optimism and loves to compete and unfortunately sometimes that clouds the vision of reality a bit.

Pete would not do well as the Mariners coach.
Well not everyone, Knownone seems to think they were as well. I hope they're both right and this is just a terrible stretch ala NY Giants before their SB run.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
The difference between a 9-4 team and a 4-9 team is literally minuscule. A play that goes right here, a play that goes wrong there...

Simple truth of it all, we are never as good as we think we are and certainly never as bad as we think we are.

A made field goal here, a bad call taken away there and we are all singing a different tune.
Very true. And we can’t depend on the winds of fate to allow us to be consistently good or bad

flv2

Reaction score
The Seahawks were 5-2 and D-Line was the weak spot. The Draft capital also bought a lot of cap space and the Seahawks figure to get a compensatory pick if the player leaves after the season. The move was a small gamble at slightly unfavourable odds. meh. I wouldn't have made the move but I can see why an aging HC would.

morgulon1

Reaction score

They were also a couple of plays away from losing to some bad teams at home.

This team is average to below average . That's why they don't win against the better teams. They need a QB, 2 safeties
And several lineman for both sides .

This is going on several seasons now .

I can appreciate your optimism though.

knownone

Reaction score
We almost never get compensatory picks so I don't think that's a given as its evaluated as a whole and not an individual basis right? I could be wrong on how that system works but it seems like Seattle never gets those picks even with players leaving.

I think it was bizarre because they should've had a better pulse on where they were at. They had also played one of the easiest schedules in the league up to that point. With him they are almost dead last in every single statistical category or near it. Most experts around the league did not have Seattle as one player away and didn't list them as a top 5-6 team even at 5-2. If that's the case you would assume Pete/John would have an even better idea of who they truly were.

But Seattle can still make the playoffs with 4 winnable games and I think they may actually win out so lets hope for the best and maybe you're right. That move was awesome and will bring playoff success.
Sure. It's not a given; it comes down to timing and assets in vs. assets out. But losing him is not a given either, so calling him a rental might be premature.

Most experts around the league did not have Seattle one player away from what? Being a Super Bowl contender? As a criticism, that relies on the assumption that he was a rental to put them over the hump. Right? But what if that wasn't the case? What if they saw him as the only available upgrade at a position of need? In that case, if they re-sign him, Williams is a significant upgrade, and they gave up premium capital to fit him under their salary cap this season.

Maybe I'm right about what? The trade only looks bad for me if they don't re-sign or get compensatory picks for him. It would be nice to make the playoffs, but that won't change how I view this situation. For example, I won't be happy if they make the playoffs and don't re-sign or get comps.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
The Seahawks are not a Super Bowl contender. The Seahawks are not building a Super Bowl contender. The Seahawks do not have a coach that can get them to the Super Bowl any longer. PC is cashing checks with no accountability. The team is following his lead. Next year will be no different. If PC was here for 20 more years things would still not be different. It’s the fans that are suffering.

knownone

Reaction score
They were also a couple of plays away from losing to some bad teams at home.

This team is average to below average . That's why they don't win against the better teams. They need a QB, 2 safeties
And several lineman for both sides .

This is going on several seasons now .

I can appreciate your optimism though.
Maybe. But they've beaten two (current) playoff teams this season and almost beat the #2 team in the conference. Similarly, on paper, three of our losses are against all-time great teams in SF and Baltimore. And we were nowhere near full strength for two of those games.

We'll see how things play out.

Ozzy

Reaction score
The Seahawks were 5-2 and D-Line was the weak spot. The Draft capital also bought a lot of cap space and the Seahawks figure to get a compensatory pick if the player leaves after the season. The move was a small gamble at slightly unfavourable odds. meh. I wouldn't have made the move but I can see why an aging HC would.
I don’t disagree with this and maybe the sign him long term, not sure he would want to stay at this point playing on a terrible defense but to be fair I should let it play out