Pete's Final Signature Win: vs. Philly on Monday Night

Maelstrom787

Reaction score

Let's relive a fantastic moment.

The 10-3 Eagles roll into Seattle. Backup Drew Lock gets the start. Seattle is on a skid and the Eagles, while starting to slide a bit, are still a formidable opponent.

It's Monday Night in Seattle. Classic rainy Seattle primetime game - the kind that became much, much more commonplace during the Carroll years as the team stayed relevant and the primetime games kept flowing in. That trademark atmosphere is all ours, totally unique.

Drew has a rough night overall, but we've done enough to have another shot. Backed up to our goal line and 95 yards to glory, the Seattle offense gears up for one more chance. We've been here before.

Part of why these moments felt so commonplace and natural to these Seahawks can be attributed to a unique facet of Carroll's personal ethos - the hellbent desire for the crucial moment. I have been looking for this article forever and cannot find it anymore, but back in 2013, we had a goal line stand against a Rams team that took us to the edge, and we won the game on a 4 down goal line stand 14-9. Supposedly, in this high-leverage moment, Pete Carroll could be heard telling his players on the sideline: "How frickin' cool is this?"

That's the secret sauce. Pete Carroll lived for the high leverage moment that every kid imagines themselves in when tossing a ball around in the backyard. It's do-or-die. You never imagine yourself cruising. You imagine yourself overcoming adversity and succeeding when the chips are down and you either do or die.

To embrace living on that edge was the way to conquer that edge, and it's why primetime brought the best out of Carroll and his teams rather than causing them to shrink.

Whether Pete knew it or not.. this Monday night against the Eagles was the last time.

Drew led them down, Jaxon made an incredible touchdown grab, and Julian Love took the ball right back off of them to seal it. Geno looking on proudly from the sidelines and knowingly sharing a glance and a celebratory "put that s*** on" gesture with Drew emphasizing just how much they advocated for each other regardless of how the depth chart shook out, that was the cherry on top.

It was euphoric. It was the perfect stage for that team to get back on track to finish strong.

It was the epitome of a signature Carroll win.

One for the road. Thanks for teaching us to crave the big moments, coach.

A happy memory to look back on as we wait to see the new era of Seahawks football to begin in about 5 months.

Last edited:

fenderbender123

Reaction score
It was a good game. On the last drive, Lock had a couple dangerous throws. We were also lucky Hurts chucked it up for grabs into double coverage, and that Love's left leg collided on the interception, forcing his foot to hit the turf, otherwise he wouldn't have got both feet in.

Still, we made plays when it mattered, DK balled out, and Lock was able to hit JSN in stride for the TD. It was awesome.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Nice post brotha. It was a signature win and ultimately the perfect swan song for Pete.

olyfan63

Reaction score
It was so sad that the Pittsburgh game a couple weeks later was an example of a signature Carroll loss that dumped the Hawks from the playoffs. That Philly game was so awesome, so cool, so clutch, it sucked to waste it just a few weeks later, at home.

RiverDog

Reaction score
It was so sad that the Pittsburgh game a couple weeks later was an example of a signature Carroll loss that dumped the Hawks from the playoffs. That Philly game was so awesome, so cool, so clutch, it sucked to waste it just a few weeks later, at home.
That scenario, a fantastic win followed by a disappointing loss, was more representative of Pete's signature than the singular game vs. the Eagles.

projectorfreak

Reaction score
I was at that game and the browns game , both wins
Opposing teams fans were cocky , loud and obnoxious , some were nice but all the way through to the end and it was difficult to argue with them until it wasn't , just made ya feel great leaving both games with a win when it seemed to be a loss until the last few moments
Great times were had by all and seahawks old ways were on great display both days
Thanks for posting this
Go Hawks

toffee

Reaction score
Re-watched the last offense drive of Philly game, the one made the difficult plays were Metcalf and JSN. Lock's throw weren't perfect, his WRs saved the victory.

Last edited:

morgulon1

Reaction score
That scenario, a fantastic win followed by a disappointing loss, was more representative of Pete's signature than the singular game vs. the Eagles.
Then only to have Pete come to the podium with a bewildered look in his face and utter something about "clean
Some things up.."

😳

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I disagree wholeheartedly, given our general record of winning more than we lose.

I understand why people feel like this, and I've felt it myself - but the reality is that this is just kind of how it goes in the NFL when even the hall of fame coaches lose 40% of their games.

Its a league of parity. All losses are disappointing, and you're gonna lose a lot of 'em over time.

Pete's signature, to me, was attracting uniquely dramatic outcomes especially in marquee matchups. That's just most representative of his ethos to me. The disappointing losses... I mean, I just see that as a reality of being a consistent winner in the NFL. Everyone has that. Everyone feels like their team plays down to competition when you root for a consistent winner. That's a natural function of forced parity.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I disagree wholeheartedly, given our general record of winning more than we lose.

I understand why people feel like this, and I've felt it myself - but the reality is that this is just kind of how it goes in the NFL when even the hall of fame coaches lose 40% of their games.

Its a league of parity. All losses are disappointing, and you're gonna lose a lot of 'em over time.

Pete's signature, to me, was attracting uniquely dramatic outcomes especially in marquee matchups. That's just most representative of his ethos to me. The disappointing losses... I mean, I just see that as a reality of being a consistent winner in the NFL. Everyone has that. Everyone feels like their team plays down to competition when you root for a consistent winner. That's a natural function of forced parity.
Well, we all have our own impression on what constitutes Pete's signature, and my most recent, lasting memory is one of perpetual mediocrity: Too good to blow up the team and start over yet too bad to compete for a SB. So for me, Pete's signature wouldn't be complete by simply noting the Eagles win without also mentioning the Steelers loss.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Then only to have Pete come to the podium with a bewildered look in his face and utter something about "clean
Some things up.."

😳
Yeah that got to me, like what? You hired all these suck ass coaches
and that's all you got?
It wasn't the only time he said it over the last 2-3 yrs either and it was
becoming obvious players/people weren't buying in anymore.

GemCity

Reaction score
Ngl Mael….that gave me chills.

Thanks for sharing.

Atradees

Reaction score
Seems like we always beat the Redskins too. That game against the Cards where we only won because they missed the Feild goal was similar to that Eagles game in some ways Pete