PFF Grades for Week 1

Brithawk

Reaction score
Couldn't see these had been posted before, the grades from Pro Football Focus for the game against Carolina

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/09/09/refo-sea-car-week-1/

Seattle – Three Performances of Note

New Kid on the Block

While the Seahawks didn’t get a lot going on the ground (20 halfback runs for 60 yards with almost half of those coming on two runs) do not blame the new fullback. Derrick Coleman (+2.4) consistently dominated in the hole on lead blocks and also threw in three receptions netting 30 yards for good measure. However, it was his work in his prime role that stood out. He was only in for seven running plays but on three of those he clearly won the battle in the hole.

While Robert Turbin may not have gained any yards on the play, watch the movement he gets on Quintin Mikell in the right “B” gap with 1:32 gone in the first quarter.

The only note of negativity came when he failed to stay in bounds after picking up a first down late in the fourth, but this is small stuff and the gentle post-play talking to he got from offensive line coach Tom Cable will probably have the desired effect.

Wilson’s World

If you didn’t watch the game and saw Russell Wilson’s (+2.2) grade you may be surprised it’s not higher. If you did, you probably already realize this was a display that ran the full gamut of performance. In his defense he was under a lot of pressure, but he won’t give that excuse, so neither should we.

Let’s start with the good. He made at least five top quality throws –some of which came after escaping pressure and throwing on the run – many of which few other quarterbacks would have been able to even get in a position to attempt. The burst to escape the pocket and then the velocity he gets on the ball while scrambling right (Q2 14:22) is a movement of lethal grace but he needs to temper these with a little more circumspection on other plays.

The almost-interception thrown from the end zone nearly made a bad position worse and a couple of overthrows on relatively easy passes suggest room for the improvement he’ll definitely need next week against the 49ers.

Pushing a Lost Cause?

Not for one minute am I saying the Seahawks should cut James Carpenter (-2.3) tomorrow, but I do think they need to invest a little bit next offseason in upgrading their position at guard. At the moment he’s really not much worse than the other players at their disposal but he’s still closer to a bust than a viable left guard.

In order to get the 2011 first-rounder some playing time, the Seahawks decided to rotate him on a quarter-by-quarter basis with Paul McQuistan (-2.2) and it really was a case of pick your poison. Carpenter was a slightly more effective pass protector while McQuistan had the edge in run blocking, but both these are relative terms; the combined result was not a good one. The ease with which Greg Hardy swims by Carpenter (Q4 12:58) to make the tackle for loss is an example of the issues that still need to be resolved.

Game Notes

- Given the extremely high quality of the punting by Panthers Brad Nortman (+5.2), one of the most understated parts of this game was Golden Tate averaging 12 yards per return on four attempts.

- It’s very early but Doug Baldwin’s 3.64 Yards Per Route Run is very good (the best in the NFL last year was Andre Johnson with 3.01) and possibly an indication that he’s due more than 55% of snaps.

PFF Game Ball

It’s coming to something when you criticize Russell Wilson before giving him the PFF game ball. I guess that’s the measure of him these days – his average is better than many quarterbacks very best

Jville

Reaction score
Brithawk":285fzql0 said:
Couldn't see these had been posted before, the grades from Pro Football Focus for the game against Carolina

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/09/09/refo-sea-car-week-1/

Seattle – Three Performances of Note

New Kid on the Block

While the Seahawks didn’t get a lot going on the ground (20 halfback runs for 60 yards with almost half of those coming on two runs) do not blame the new fullback. Derrick Coleman (+2.4) consistently dominated in the hole on lead blocks and also threw in three receptions netting 30 yards for good measure. However, it was his work in his prime role that stood out. He was only in for seven running plays but on three of those he clearly won the battle in the hole.

While Robert Turbin may not have gained any yards on the play, watch the movement he gets on Quintin Mikell in the right “B” gap with 1:32 gone in the first quarter.

The only note of negativity came when he failed to stay in bounds after picking up a first down late in the fourth, but this is small stuff and the gentle post-play talking to he got from offensive line coach Tom Cable will probably have the desired effect.

Wilson’s World

If you didn’t watch the game and saw Russell Wilson’s (+2.2) grade you may be surprised it’s not higher. If you did, you probably already realize this was a display that ran the full gamut of performance. In his defense he was under a lot of pressure, but he won’t give that excuse, so neither should we.

Let’s start with the good. He made at least five top quality throws –some of which came after escaping pressure and throwing on the run – many of which few other quarterbacks would have been able to even get in a position to attempt. The burst to escape the pocket and then the velocity he gets on the ball while scrambling right (Q2 14:22) is a movement of lethal grace but he needs to temper these with a little more circumspection on other plays.

The almost-interception thrown from the end zone nearly made a bad position worse and a couple of overthrows on relatively easy passes suggest room for the improvement he’ll definitely need next week against the 49ers.

Pushing a Lost Cause?

Not for one minute am I saying the Seahawks should cut James Carpenter (-2.3) tomorrow, but I do think they need to invest a little bit next offseason in upgrading their position at guard. At the moment he’s really not much worse than the other players at their disposal but he’s still closer to a bust than a viable left guard.

In order to get the 2011 first-rounder some playing time, the Seahawks decided to rotate him on a quarter-by-quarter basis with Paul McQuistan (-2.2) and it really was a case of pick your poison. Carpenter was a slightly more effective pass protector while McQuistan had the edge in run blocking, but both these are relative terms; the combined result was not a good one. The ease with which Greg Hardy swims by Carpenter (Q4 12:58) to make the tackle for loss is an example of the issues that still need to be resolved.

Game Notes

- Given the extremely high quality of the punting by Panthers Brad Nortman (+5.2), one of the most understated parts of this game was Golden Tate averaging 12 yards per return on four attempts.

- It’s very early but Doug Baldwin’s 3.64 Yards Per Route Run is very good (the best in the NFL last year was Andre Johnson with 3.01) and possibly an indication that he’s due more than 55% of snaps.

PFF Game Ball

It’s coming to something when you criticize Russell Wilson before giving him the PFF game ball. I guess that’s the measure of him these days – his average is better than many quarterbacks very best

Thanks for including a link to the source.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Hard to argue with this. I kind of agree with the first bit that we're probably not quite as good as some believe.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":j4y04zx4 said:
Hard to argue with this. I kind of agree with the first bit that we're probably not quite as good as some believe.
Especially at OL. I can understand why Carpenter looked bad, but we've seen him look really good, too, so I'm more inclined to believe that he's just out of shape and will eventually get back to where he needs to be (assuming he avoids injury). McQuistan, on the other hand, was shockingly bad and that was not a pleasant surprise. "It's only one game", but he looked like he lost a step or three out there.

I don't think for a second that our OL is the best in the NFL, but it was flat-out terrible in Week 1. It makes Wilson's performance all the more impressive.

CANHawk

Reaction score
MysterMatt":3qx5t10h said:
theENGLISHseahawk":3qx5t10h said:
Especially at OL. I can understand why Carpenter looked bad, but we've seen him look really good, too, so I'm more inclined to believe that he's just out of shape and will eventually get back to where he needs to be (assuming he avoids injury). McQuistan, on the other hand, was shockingly bad and that was not a pleasant surprise. "It's only one game", but he looked like he lost a step or three out there.

I don't think for a second that our OL is the best in the NFL, but it was flat-out terrible in Week 1. It makes Wilson's performance all the more impressive.

Whole heartedly agree on Carp. He looks like he needs game reps to get back up to the Carp we saw last year before he got hurt. I imagine it's pretty hard to practice blocking in practice now seeing as how they're not allowed to actually touch each other in practice anymore.

I don't know what the story is on McQ though. No reason for him to have regressed. Maybe he had the runs like Tobek and was concentrating on pinching his butt shut all game long...

Kelly.Orr

Reaction score
I understand Carpenter had a bad game and it was most definitely due to him not being in game shape atm. But I also thought i seen some posts during the game where people were saying he was limping so perhaps he is more like at 70% full strength. Watching him in the past i have seen the potential he has so i am still optimistic that he will get back to where he was if he can stay healthy. Which part of that will definitely require him to lose some weight with conditioning and diet. Is he still using Okung's dietician or what's up with that?

kearly

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":14qfc5ou said:

I think we're as good or better, but we are a momentum type team if there ever was one. This team seems to have two modes, one where it shoots itself in the foot with remarkable frequency, and the other which is essentially unbeatable. Very little in between. It seems like we are in that first mode so often at 10am, but in the 2nd mode so often at home.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I think a lot of pundits overestimate our pass rush/defensive line. I'm actually not that concerned about the OL.

kearly

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":yjxiksdn said:
I think a lot of pundits overestimate our pass rush/defensive line. I'm actually not that concerned about the OL.

Agreed.

I think what surprises me is that our run defense is never as good as it should be. That last game we had McDaniels-Mebane-Bryant on the field at the same time during running downs fairly often, and they still got 5 yards per carry on us. And their run offense was pathetic in the preseason.

There seems to be a shroud of mystery surrounding this D-line and defense as a whole. It is the ultimate "greater than the sum of it's parts" defense, because when you look at our front seven and scheme issues last season you are left wondering how Seattle led the NFL in scoring defense.