PFF Player Grades Through Week 11

JPatera76

Reaction score
The safety rankings contain both SS and FS. So, Jamal grades out slightly above average, Love is dead-on average, and Diggs is one of the worst starting caliber safeties in the league (according to PFF).
Hell I think collectively we all see that with with Diggs.. especially since his injury. Dudes a liability

OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score
How is Stafford ranked 10th. He has played poorly, I would have Geno ahead of him.
Yeah, that's another anomaly. Not only has Stafford played poorly, at least in my eyes, but his team has, too. It's hard to see how he's ranked ahead of Hurts and Purdy.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think PFF is great and charting situations, stats and they do some really, really cool stuff. I think their player grades are terrible though. It’s just really hard to grade plays when you can’t know all the information. You can watch an NFL coach, OC, DC break down film of another team and say they can’t grade players in a specific play because of unknown variables but PFF is going to get it right?

And not trying to be snarky and I appreciate you sharing it because it’s always super interesting and fun to look at. I just am skeptical of their process.

OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score
I think PFF is great and charting situations, stats and they do some really, really cool stuff. I think their player grades are terrible though. It’s just really hard to grade plays when you can’t know all the information. You can watch an NFL coach, OC, DC break down film of another team and say they can’t grade players in a specific play because of unknown variables but PFF is going to get it right?

And not trying to be snarky and I appreciate you sharing it because it’s always super interesting and fun to look at. I just am skeptical of their process.
Yeah, it's a near impossible task. Baseball has batting averages and ERA's that makes it pretty easy to quantify player performance, at least relative to other sports. But it's not as irrelevant as you paint it as at least in some limited examples, teams, player scouts, etc, will at times and in certain situations use the information collected and analyzed by PFF in their own player appraisals. It's still pertinent information.

It's like any other data. It needs to be put in perspective in order for it to mean anything. Seldom do we find a definitive stat, appraisal, or ranking, but they can be used to help paint a picture. As we discussed earlier in the thread, our weakness on offense is with the interior OL, and the information contained in PFF's player grades supports that observation.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Yeah, it's a near impossible task. Baseball has batting averages and ERA's that makes it pretty easy to quantify player performance, at least relative to other sports. But it's not as irrelevant as you paint it as at least in some limited examples, teams, player scouts, etc, will at times and in certain situations use the information collected and analyzed by PFF in their own player appraisals. It's still pertinent information.

It's like any other data. It needs to be put in perspective in order for it to mean anything. Seldom do we find a definitive stat, appraisal, or ranking, but they can be used to help paint a picture. As we discussed earlier in the thread, our weakness on offense is with the interior OL, and the information contained in PFF's player grades supports that observation.
I do think it can be useful though and like I said it’s super fun to dive into it sometimes

knownone

Reaction score

With a standardized grading system and consistent criteria, you don't need all the information to grade and compare players. Here, quality is as consistent as the measurement. So, while PFF may not grade a player like a specific team's coach with inside knowledge would, that doesn't mean PFF's grades are terrible.

Ozzy

Reaction score
With a standardized grading system and consistent criteria, you don't need all the information to grade and compare players. Here, quality is as consistent as the measurement. So, while PFF may not grade a player like a specific team's coach with inside knowledge would, that doesn't mean PFF's grades are terrible.
But when it’s obvious better players are grades drastically lower than players who aren’t as good I’d say it’s not as useful. They rank some players far far differently than literally everyone else who’s watched the tape.

knownone

Reaction score
But when it’s obvious better players are grades drastically lower than players who aren’t as good I’d say it’s not as useful. They rank some players far far differently than literally everyone else who’s watched the tape.
Not as useful for what, though? That seems like a fair criticism if you're a GM or a coach making decisions based on the information. But for fans, all you need is a consistent measurement.

Again, that doesn't mean the grades accurately reflect reality (nothing will do that). Still, as long as the evaluation/criteria are the same for each player, you know exactly what you're getting from the measurement.