PFF Player Rankings End of Regular Season

RiverDog

Reaction score
This will be my last posting on the subject, but here's how our guys stack up by their positions to other players, along with the position leader along with some notable players of interest, at the end of the 2023 season:

QB Geno Smith #13. Russell Wilson finished #18. Josh Allen, Dak, and Lamar Jackson were ranked #1, 2, and 3 respectively. There were 42 quarterbacks that met the minimum snap count and were ranked.

WR DK Metcalf #21, Tyler Lockett #26, Jake Bobo #39, JSN #76. Tyreek Hill, Brandon Aiyuk, and CD Lamb were the top ranked. There were 128 WR's that were ranked.

RB Kenneth Walker #7, Zach Charbonnet #38. DeVon Achane, CMC, and Derrick Henry were ranked 1,2, and 3 respectively. There were 63 RB's that were ranked.

TE Will Dissly #17, Noah Fant #31, Colby Parkinson #46. George Kittle, Mark Andrews, and TJ Hockenson were ranked 1,2, and 3. There were 73 TE's ranked.

Center Evan Brown #30. Frank Ragnow (Lions), Conner Williams (Fins), and Drew Dalman (Falcons) were ranked 1, 2, and 3. There were 37 centers ranked.

OG Damien Lewis #38, Phil Haynes #62, Anthony Bradford #63. Chris Lindstrom (Falcons), Kevin Dotson (Rams), and Quinn Meinerz (Donkeys) were ranked 1,2, and 3. There were 81 guards ranked.

OT Charles Cross #38, Stone Forsythe #62, Jake Curhan #63. Penei Sewell (Lions), Trent Williams (69'ers) and Jordan Maialata (Eagles) were ranked 1, 2, and 3. There were 84 tackles ranked.

CB Devon Witherspoon #4, Michael Jackson #20, Riq Woolen #55, Tre Brown #73. Jalon Johnson (Bears), DaRon Bland (Cowpies), and Sauce Gardner (Jets) were ranked 1,2, and 3. There were 128 CB's that were ranked.

Safeties Julian Love #22, Quandre Diggs #90, Yikes Adams #91. Antoine Winfield (Bucs), Jessie Bates (Falcons), and Javon Holland (Fins) were ranked 1,2, and 3. There were 99 players ranked.

LB Bobby Wagner #7, Jordyn Brooks T-#71. Fred Warner (69'ers), DeMarco Davis (Aints) and Tyrel Dodson (Bills) were ranked 1,2, and 3. There were 83 LB's that were ranked.

DT Lenord Williams #18, Mario Edwards #38, Jarran Reed #47, DreMont
T-#57. Dexter Lawrence (Giants), Aaron Donald (Lambs), and Quinnen Willams (Jets) were ranked 1,2, and 3. Jalen Carter was ranked #5. There were 131 tackles ranked.

Edge Boye Mafe #39, Uchenna Nwosu T-#51, Darrell Taylor #103, Derrick Hall #110. Myles Garrett (Browns), Micha Parsons (Cowpies), and Nick Bosa (69'ers) were ranked 1, 2, and 3. There were 114 edge defenders ranked.

I loved browsing these rankings and feel that I got my money's worth out of the subscription. Although there are exceptions as much of it is based on purely subjective opinions, for the most part, these rankings meet the eye test.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Thanks for posting these.

And I got to say... Charles Cross so far is looking like a bust. Really hope he develops some lower body strength and works on his core and balance. Maybe reach out to Big Walt for some hand fighting techniques. To be the #9 pick a couple years ago and rated that low... Not good. Failure once again by the front office to accurately scout and develop offensive linemen.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
To piggy back off of that, it's great to see K9 ranked #7, DK is right where I expected. JSN is much lower than I thought but that has more to do with the way he was utilized imo.

And lastly I was very wrong about Bobby. He's really excelled and let down by those around him.

OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score
To piggy back off of that, it's great to see K9 ranked #7, DK is right where I expected. JSN is much lower than I thought but that has more to do with the way he was utilized imo.

And lastly I was very wrong about Bobby. He's really excelled and let down by those around him.
I wouldn't call Cross a bust, at least not if we're judging by these rankings. Considering that there are two offensive tackles, divide that #38 by 2 and he's at #19. With 32 teams, it would make him slightly below average. But yes, considering where Cross was drafted, he would have to be considered a disappointment so far.

There's a lot of competition in the WR ranks and since there's often times 3 or 4 of them on the field at the same time, both Metcalf and Lockett's rankings are very respectable, JSN not so much. Bobo's #39 ranking has to be one of, if not the highest, ranking of any UFDA rookie.

K9's ranking is fantastic, especially considering the problems we've had on the OL. He had just one-100 yard rushing game.

I was pleased with our cornerback rankings. Witherspoon's #5 ranking, if I'm not mistaken, is the highest ranking for any rookie at any position, and Jackson's #20 puts him in the upper 25%. Julian Love's #22 is very good.

The tight end position graded out well.

But the bad news is the defense less our CB's, Love, and Wagner, and the interior OL, again a finding that meets the eye test.

You have some company with regard to your being wrong about Bobby. I was wrong about him, too.

toffee

Reaction score
Thanks for posting these.

And I got to say... Charles Cross so far is looking like a bust. Really hope he develops some lower body strength and works on his core and balance. Maybe reach out to Big Walt for some hand fighting techniques. To be the #9 pick a couple years ago and rated that low... Not good. Failure once again by the front office to accurately scout and develop offensive linemen.
I noticed that Cross's issue were post-contact. He seldom stopped his opponents upon contact, instead, he would allow his opponent to push him back 2 yards or so with his hands on his opponents' chest and his own body fully stretched and planted.

Last edited:

cymatica

Reaction score
I felt Cross's issue were post-contact. He seldom stop his opponents upon contact, instead, he would allow his opponent to push him back 2 yards or so with his hands on his opponents' chest and his own body fully stretched and planted.
Maybe the strength and conditioning coach is contributing to this. Seems like this team gets pushed around and injured far too much in the last few years.

keasley45

Reaction score
I noticed that Cross's issue were post-contact. He seldom stopped his opponents upon contact, instead, he would allow his opponent to push him back 2 yards or so with his hands on his opponents' chest and his own body fully stretched and planted.

Its funny how that draft looks comoletely different now. What looked like a move to fortify our o line for the forseeable future, 16 months later looks like a disappointment.

Lucas seems to have a potentially career threatening knee issue and Cross looks like a 3rd rounder.

knownone

Reaction score
I agree. It's definitely worth the price just to look around.

Here's a fun fact: Seattle only had two starters in their front 7 graded average or better in run defense. Nwosu coming back should help next season, but upgrades are once again needed upfront.

Screenshot 2024 01 08 at 55235PM

flv2

Reaction score
Good luck finding a week where Dissly got the #1 TE snaps. It seemed that for most of the season Fant had the most Seahawks TE snaps whilst in the last 2 games it was Parkinson. The implication is either that PFF TE grades aren't accurate or the Seahawks coaching staff is getting it wrong. Maybe the TEs aren't durable and they need time on the sidelines after knocks. Maybe the grades are incredibly close. Either way from the outside I don't see a clear hierarchy at the position and I don't see 1 guy that stands out as a guy who should be paid top money to get 75%+ snaps.

OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score
Boye Mafe has been a bit of a disappointment on defense. After having a great rookie season, Riq Woolen has regressed. Tre Brown has struggled. Derrick Hall was horrible.

Outside of Witherspoon, who was taken with a #5 overall, we haven't hit on an above average defensive player in the draft in years, with guys like Mafe, Hall, Tre Brown, Darrell Taylor, Jordy Brooks, Cody Barton, Marquise Blair, all taken with a 3rd round pick or higher over the past 5 years, haven't turned into even decent starters. That's not a very good batting average.

Plus, toss in the 2021 draft where we had just 3 selections and drafted just one defensive player (Brown) and it's no wonder why our defense hasn't improved.

Pete has lost his magic when it comes to evaluating and/or developing defensive players.

Last edited:

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
I agree. It's definitely worth the price just to look around.

Here's a fun fact: Seattle only had two starters in their front 7 graded average or better in run defense. Nwosu coming back should help next season, but upgrades are once again needed upfront.

View attachment 63119
So much for edge depth. I knew it was bad, but after Nwosu and Mafe that's just pathetic.

OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score
So much for edge depth. I knew it was bad, but after Nwosu and Mafe that's just pathetic.
And even those two are average at best. Neither one of them play at anywhere near a Pro Bowl level.

As many of us have said for the past couple of years, that we're weak in the trenches on both sides of the LOS.

Ozzy

Reaction score
For all the people that argued with me that they have drafted well for this whole tenure I’d love to here how they explain the lack of overall talent. Even the draft we call a massive success is starting to lose some shine as Cross hasn't looked as good as we hoped. He's not Ifedi bust and he could still easily develop into a pro bowl guy but I'm starting to lose a little hope and Lucas while good when he plays maybe never get over his medical issues.

Again the Pro Pete crowd gets so mad but its just another reason I'm ready to move on. They've been below average in this area for a long time even when factoring in where they draft(which is way overstated)

Jville

Reaction score
Good luck finding a week where Dissly got the #1 TE snaps. It seemed that for most of the season Fant had the most Seahawks TE snaps whilst in the last 2 games it was Parkinson. The implication is either that PFF TE grades aren't accurate or the Seahawks coaching staff is getting it wrong. Maybe the TEs aren't durable and they need time on the sidelines after knocks. Maybe the grades are incredibly close. Either way from the outside I don't see a clear hierarchy at the position and I don't see 1 guy that stands out as a guy who should be paid top money to get 75%+ snaps.

SNAPS percentages for 2023:
Noah Fant ............. 54.3%
Cody Parkinson ...... 47.4%
Will Dissly ............. 36.3%

SNAPS percentages for 2022:
Noah Fant .............. 60.4%
Will Dissly .............. 52.1%
Cody Parkinson ....... 40.5%

...................... the offense has begun to trend away from 12 and 13 personnel in favor of 11 personnel. Fant and Parkinson are unrestricted free agents and Dissly's contract and future with Seattle look questionable. I enjoyed the tight end threesome while it lasted. The perseverance of Tyler Mabry is inspiring as he signed a futures contract for 2024 this week. Brady Russell completed his first year of orientation and will compete for a 2024 spot as well.

Times they are a changing.

Disclosure: I haven't subscribed or bought into PPF grading. But I do think it an interesting project that, as I understand it, continues to evolve.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
PNW I disagree the there is a lack of overall talent on the team. You clearly disagree and little if anything at all said by anyone will likely change your view. However save for the OLine to me the O is well stocked with talent (good skill players, adequate QB play, adequate but underused TEs). However, it is very fair for you and the rest of us here to argue that talent is not well deployed. Is that on the FO or The OC? In result an inconsistent O.

It's the D that is vastly underperforming the talent here. The DLine needs help still, the edge rush is weak, has been weak and remains weak, the ILBs need help, the DBs with rare exceptions are not playing well despite real observed abilities. there are real areas of strength but there is more talent on the D than has been shown this season. My view on that is if the DC doesn't prepare his players well or properly, then those players are going to underperform. The DC once the tackling was observed to bedeficient should have been emphasizing that skill and coaching it up. That sure didn't happen. In result a very weak D.

The real result was a team the wanted to run but couldn't do it well, and a team that could NOT stop the run.

Nature or nature is a real question needed to be answered here.