PFF ReFo on Seahawks/Texans

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... ns-week-4/

Of note to me:

The Seahawks brought into this game three of their four top outside pass rushers and got big games from them. Before he left the game due to injury (thankfully not serious on according to current reports) Michael Bennett had registered five pressures (3 Ht, 2 Hu) on 20 pass rushes, both from the edge and working inside against Brandon Brooks for a hit and a hurry. Working with him to harry Schaub was Cliff Avril with Chris Clemons working off the bench. They combined to rack up 13 pressures (2 Sk, 3 Ht, 8 Hu) on 89 pass rushes. Avril added a batted pass to his six pressures beating Texans’ RT Derek Newton for each of his pressures (including one hit nullified by a penalty) while his sack came as a clean up when Schaub was flushed out to the right of the pocket. Clemons meanwhile, in his second game back this season, worked from both sides beating both Ryan Harris and Newton inside and outside for pressures. These three were the driving force behind Schaub facing pressure on 24 of his 54 dropbacks.

I really loved how our DL looked, particularly in the second half. Schaub was running for his life after they came back from the break.

Also, PFF says Lemuel Jeanpierre didn't give up a pressure all game. Bowie was bullied by Watt, but I'm not too worried, as he played well last week in reserve, and I think he can handle the Colts.

I can't wait to hear from Kearly and Scotte what they thought about McQuistan at LT. I get that he's not Okung, but is Mercilus that good, or is McQ that not good at LT, or is it a little bit of both?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I was definitely a little skeptical about how effectively this rotation of pass rushers was going to work, but gotta give big credit to our coaching staff. It's working amazingly so far. Can't remember the last time we saw that much pressure on the road at the end of a game. It really might be the constant rotation and fresh legs.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Good to see someone giving Mebane props. He's quietly having a monster year. Again.

pehawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1q59pvpw said:
Good to see someone giving Mebane props. He's quietly having a monster year. Again.

Clinton McDonald needs to really thank Mebane.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
I was pointing out Mebane's play during the game yesterday to my buddy. To have the PFF guys single him out just makes my drunken rant at my pal during the game that much funnier!

Great Job Mebane!

Ozzy

Reaction score
Great article thx for sharing. The defense played great in spite if the absence of Bennett. Can't wait to see what this unit does at full strength. The offense will be fine, we've faced 3 high end defenses....not worried.

12evanf

Reaction score
If we had this Dline last year, we would have made it to the Super(b)owl. Now we have it and every other aspect of our team is stronger, too. :179417:

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Bowie may have been bullied by Watt, but I thought he was impressive none the less, on Lynch's 40+ scamper, Bowie was the only lineman downfield by a large margin and Bowie helped take out a group of Texan defenders.

Bowie has some talent. And getting Watt as his first experience will only make him better.

kearly

Reaction score
Clinton McDonald and Mebane were ridiculous in this game. Bennett was great as usual. Clemons looked sluggish, but even so, he got a sack and very nearly had another. Avril is cooling off after an awesome debut (SF), but he's awesome at timing his jumps for batted passes.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
The Dline has played very well of late, just need to keep it up for the entire season.

Latest posts