PFF's Depth Chart Ratings for NFC West

Marvin49

Reaction score
RedAlice":1ua8aa9x said:
Marvin49":1ua8aa9x said:
We can argue the Niner and Seahawks "ratings" all day, but what surprises me more is how many Rams starters are rated below average...including the entire LB corps.

There is a thread about this on one of the Rams boards - PFF (same as Evan Silva btw) is consistantly negative on Rams players.

I can hardly see how several of those Rams players are "below average" starters. But, fact is Rams have yet to do anything other than be inconsistent.

I am amused by the chart and look forward to seeing how those "below average" starters actually, um, perform as starters this year.

Yeah...I have problems with the rankings as well, Like why aren't Aldon and Navorro elite? Staley and Iupoati have an argument as well.

Vance McDonald is ranked LOW. I think he should be grey.

No use arguing tho. It's all subjective.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I've said it many times, and I will continue to say it. Pro Football Focus (PFF) is worthless for their ratings. Some are very accurate, some are somewhat off, and some are wildly off. Their criteria for arriving at their ratings is a joke.

That being said, I love PFF because of all the raw factual information they also have. Snap counts, formation information, and myriad other factual-based pieces of information that are not subject to bias that are very useful. Ignore their ratings/rankings, and they are a font of useful information.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Agree Ro, and same for Silva. Factual info is good and greatly appreciated during FF. Else, well.

Marvin - yeah, as soon as I saw that chart I realized that there is no sense at all in debating it. For any of the NFCW teams. Just becomes off-season boredom fodder.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
I know it's off-topic, but the depth chart graphic is destracting me. The Hawks one still has McDaniel at tackle when PC said he was the new 5-tech end. Richardson and Norwood are 2nd string--aren't those guys gonna be on the field with Harvin? I was looking forward to that. They seem like a perfect compliment to him. Britt is listed 2nd string, but it seemed like he was making a strong push to start.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":1tsvmb2a said:
I know it's off-topic, but the depth chart graphic is destracting me. The Hawks one still has McDaniel at tackle when PC said he was the new 5-tech end. Richardson and Norwood are 2nd string--aren't those guys gonna be on the field with Harvin? I was looking forward to that. They seem like a perfect compliment to him. Britt is listed 2nd string, but it seemed like he was making a strong push to start.

These early depth charts are always speculative, but I think PFF actually did a pretty good job with it.

Carroll said McDaniel would compete to take Red Bryant's role at the five technique, not that he would start at the five technique in every game. For example, in the Super Bowl we watched Michael Bennett start at the five technique to give us more pass rush in our base package. McDaniel has practiced at both the three and five techniques this off-season. How much he plays at each position could depend on who the opponent is.

Baldwin and Harvin are the starters right now at WR. The third starter will depend on the chosen formation, likely rotating between Kearse, Rice, Richardson, Norwood, as well as Derrick Coleman, Luke Willson, and Alvin Bailey/Justin Britt/Michael Bowie in the jumbo package.

The Britt/Bowie competition is ongoing, but I think it's fair to say Bowie has the advantage due to his experience right now, as long as he can get himself back into playing shape.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
hawknation2014":2xfu5sdt said:
Lords of Scythia":2xfu5sdt said:

These early depth charts are always speculative, but I think PFF actually did a pretty good job with it.

Carroll said McDaniel would compete to take Red Bryant's role at the five technique, not that he would start at the five technique in every game. For example, in the Super Bowl we watched Michael Bennett start at the five technique to give us more pass rush in our base package. McDaniel has practiced at both the three and five techniques this off-season. How much he plays at each position could depend on who the opponent is.

Baldwin and Harvin are the starters right now at WR. The third starter will depend on the chosen formation, likely rotating between Kearse, Rice, Richardson, Norwood, as well as Derrick Coleman, Luke Willson, and Alvin Bailey/Justin Britt/Michael Bowie in the jumbo package.

The Britt/Bowie competition is ongoing, but I think it's fair to say Bowie has the advantage due to his experience right now, as long as he can get himself back into playing shape.
Thanks for clarifying. I think the ultimate goal is a Harvin/Norwood/Richardson wideout group. Richardson stretches the field with flank speed, and Norwood is the over-the-middle hands guy. That just sounds insane. Both rooks are looking great in camp.

Sherminator

Reaction score
hawknation2014":2t1azl8z said:
They haven't drafted well over the last three years and it shows with their depth.

This is not at all correct,

In the past 3 drafts (excluding this one for obvious reasons)
We have seen 9 draftees with the potential to earn a starting job,
4 aleady have and of those 4, 2 are already pro-bowlers.

Also, for that depth argument
5 startes on our offense were drafted less than 3 years ago
(Kap, Hunter, McDonald, Kilgore, Miller)

On defense we have 3 people starting drafted before 3 years ago

(Cully, Reid, Smith)

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Sherminator":2oh5xfxq said:
hawknation2014":2oh5xfxq said:
They haven't drafted well over the last three years and it shows with their depth.

This is not at all correct,

In the past 3 drafts (excluding this one for obvious reasons)
We have seen 9 draftees with the potential to earn a starting job,
4 aleady have and of those 4, 2 are already pro-bowlers.

Also, for that depth argument
5 startes on our offense were drafted less than 3 years ago
(Kap, Hunter, McDonald, Kilgore, Miller)

On defense we have 3 people starting drafted before 3 years ago

(Cully, Reid, Smith)

Uhm Really? Come on now.

Reid, 1st round: Had to package picks to get him and he likely would have been on the board at 31 when you picked that year. So far he is looking like a good safety but just like Whitner and Goldson if not in a Niners Uni he doesn't make the probowl even as an alternate.

Smith, 1st round 7th overall pick in the draft: Is he talented? Absolutely but looking at his off the field track record do you think he was worth that 7th overall pick? I don't care how good he is, he is a complete idiot that I would not want on my team and I believe if the Niners were trying to trade him on draft day they would be very lucky to get a 3rd round pick and more likely to be a 5th or later for him.

Cully, 3rd round pick: This is where you really start to look bad. Gay bashing before the super bowl and now felony hit and run of a bicyclist? Really? Torn ACL and is now finally slated as the starter because of lack of competition.

Uhm no, I offer up Richard Sherman: 5th round selection in the same draft as Cully and widely referred to as the best CB in football. I'll take his one mess up of a potential failed drug test over a guy who threatens kids with brass knuckles any day of the week and a thousand times on Sunday. Lets not forget that Harbaugh should have known more than any coach/GM in the league about Sherman yet here we are and your FO looks pretty stupid.

Kap, 2nd round: Would he be a starter anywhere else or if not for Harbaugh? I offer up Russell Wilson 3rd round pick who would be a starter on over 20 teams in the league. Sorry you lose.

Hunter? Really? You mean Kendall right? 4th round pick who can't stay healthy and will be a career backup until he retires and has never been a starter. Very possibly won't make your roster this year. Bad choice IMO.

McDonald? You mean Vance? Again, Really? 2nd round pick. Huge disappointment so far. Especially if you consider why they took him and how. Your FO knew we were scouting Rice for a TE so they traded up to jump ahead of us in the 2nd round, thinking they stole our guy. You can bet our FO got one hell of a laugh out of this for several reasons. Good scouting helps you select the right player as well as gives you a good idea of who else might be targeting that same player and Seattle knew the Niners were the only threat to take a Rice TE besides us. Your FO trading up picks and then getting the wrong guy is an absolute joke and your FO should be embarrassed. That move allowed us to trade back in the second to get more picks and wait until the 5th round to get Luke Willson. You know him as the guy who scored his first TD in Candlestick and the guy who grossly outperformed Brick hands McDonald. Again you lose and on this one you lose badly.

Kilgore, 5th round of the 2011 draft: Well before you count him as a starter maybe he should start a game. 3 years he couldn't beat out an aging vet in Goodwin and only now that Goodwin isn't there does he have a chance to start and some are predicting Martin could beat him out. Remember that awsome pick in the same year? A guy by the name of Taylor Mays comes to mind or AJ Jenkins. You don't know if he is even starter quality yet so before you use him as an example maybe you should consider the other guys that your FO and fan base were so excited about.

Miller. 7th round: I'll give you Miller but with the caveat he is a full back. Very little competition for that position and to the point that even making the pro bowl is pretty meaningless.

If that is all you got then you might want to keep quiet about it. I would do a comparison for the Seahawks but I would be here for a week. We've probably said goodgye to better talent than your FO has found in your time frame.