PFT: Having 3 NFL African American coaches is shameful

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Best comment. The thread his indeed an eye-opener.
kobebryant":wo15fhhi said:
Frtiz Pollard was the first black coach, his last season was 1925; the next time a black Head Coach was hired was Art Shell in 1989! That's insane!
Being the Offensive Coordinator for Andy Reid was a pipeline to being a Head Coach elsewhere (Pederson and Nagy); but not for Eric Bieniemy, not when it was the black guys' turn. Being the Defensive Coordinator for Pete Carroll was a pipeline to being a Head Coach elsewhere (Bradley & Quinn); but again, not for the black guys.
Jim Caldwell had a winning record with Detroit! Detroit! That is so hard to do. But Matt Patricia keeps his job no matter how crappy he performs.
It's all just so blatant and disheartening.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
What's gotten a lot of people looking at this again is probably the Judge hire.

First, As someone hired w/o being a O/D coordinator, you'd expect him to have done excellent with his units. ST was a revolving door of multiple kickers. We all know what happened with WR.

Second, he's not exactly a PR communicator as Rhule is, see here: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... is-hiring/

If Judge had been black, the mainstream would have been full of commentators claiming strict tokenism for this hire and saying that's why the Rooney Rule failed. What everyone expects is ALREADY that weird hires like this can't be in favor of the black guy, because that would be obvious tokenism. In fact, the only black coaches we expect to get an interview come out of the upper ranks. Hell, the Raiders interviewed their own TE coach on their way to the Gruden hire, and the reaction was that this was pure "tokenism," followed by a modification to the RR to say teams can't consider nonwhite folks on their team itself for that rule.

The rule itself exists because the league itself didn't want stuff to come out in litigation, and because the league realized that the look of having mostly white overlords overseeing mostly black players was a mostly disastrous look for fans and players themselves. That plus the emerging trend of ex-players joining the ranks should have resulted in more organic black coaching interviews and hires by now without a rule forcing them to at least sit down with a water to talk to one person who wasn't a white guy--but it ain't happening yet.

Osprey

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2lyy2cw1 said:
As much as I agree that it's weird that no one's interviewed a guy like Eric Bieniemy, the offensive coordinator of arguably the most dynamic offense in the entire league for two straight years now............
Pretty sure I saw a clip of him saying he had 3 interviews in the bye week and rumors that he's Cleveland's fallback if they can't land McDaniels.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
With today comes news that Freddie Kitchens is expected to interview for a position w/the Giants because he and Judge knew each other from college and were both under Parcells: https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2020/1/9/ ... all-giants

So you'd expect black ex-HCs like Lewis or Hue Jackson to get similar chances, to end up on NFL teams with at least a job title. After all, Tomsula got that, and it looks like Kitchens will too. The article above implies that it is the norm. If it is, it should be the same norm for black HCs, which it isn't.

Stephen A (whom I normally don't agree with) is right here:

https://brobible.com/sports/article/ste ... oney-rule/

Osprey

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":275j24d0 said:
With today comes news that Freddie Kitchens is expected to interview for a position w/the Giants because he and Judge knew each other from college and were both under Parcells: https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2020/1/9/ ... all-giants

So you'd expect black ex-HCs like Lewis or Hue Jackson to get similar chances, to end up on NFL teams with at least a job title. After all, Tomsula got that, and it looks like Kitchens will too. The article above implies that it is the norm. If it is, it should be the same norm for black HCs, which it isn't.

I agree with a lot of the points you've made in this thread, but think you're making sweeping statements here.
Just a couple examples sans data mining:
Todd Bowles & Romeo Crennel back to DC after bombing out as HC.
*same for Ray Rhodes (shame on me for forgetting that one considering the Hawks connection)

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Osprey":3eipsu8g said:
I agree with a lot of the points you've made in this thread, but think you're making sweeping statements here.
Just a couple examples sans data mining:
Todd Bowles & Romeo Crennel back to DC after bombing out as HC.
*same for Ray Rhodes (shame on me for forgetting that one considering the Hawks connection)

This is a legit criticism given the sample sizes are so small.

But even so, seeing not only 5 of 8 black HCs in 2018 flame out plus them not all getting retread opportunities leads to the perception that something's awry. Because we can all name examples of whites who ascend to HC levels w/o going through the "channels," nearly all of whom if failed get a job title with another NFL team, or a HC/coordinator with a big college.

I think it interesting get bent over what's actually a very modest rule (just interview one minority) but don't acknowledge all the favoritism/bias what have you when it goes the other way toward white coaches:

McCarthy. Failed w/GB and Aaron Rogers. Not a "youth movement" coach. Spent a season amassing an untested model based on analytics, which is what got Peter King out there, which is what got him hired. If analytics are the answer, why isn't Cynthia Frelund getting offers at at least lower coaching levels, given that she developed the statistical model that the NFL network uses?

Judge. Failed both his positional responsibilities (ST and WR) almost as much as possible but still got the job.

Rhule: I guess a lot of people are high on him for turning around college teams that are on the fringe and training guys who went on to be in NFL. I mean, I would think there should be any number of black guys coaching college by now b/c of the player recruitment factor, but I don't follow much college and can't really say.

Then there's Rivera. Like Lewis, he was on the Panthers a long time, and took them further into the playoffs than Lewis did. It's not just that he did this, but that he's not specifically black. Any Rooney Rule favoritism is seen as not applying to him, even though he as a Latino is under Rooney Rule. He is seen more as a Saleh, who being of Arab descent doesn't qualify under federal race-protected class guidelines unlike blacks, Latinos, Asians and Pacific Islanders. I'm not even sure the Rooney Rule would apply to him.

The Rooney Rule is clumsy, but the resentment it gets for what it mandates (just talk to one nonwhite guy) is unreal especially given how much privilege exists and how it becomes more stark the higher you go.

True story: My sister's ex got involved in acting coaching the Bohemian Club for a while. For those who don't know, the Bohemian Club is a social club whose ostensible purpose is to have a couple plays that they put on for themselves every year. You cannot get tickets to these plays. If you are female, you are not allowed in this club officially.

What this really is, is a draw for magnates of industry to gather at Healdsburg (Sonoma County wine country) to whoop it around a campfire. Dude goes out there, and there's people yelling "BILL GATES POOSEY" because he's not draining the beer bong fast enough or whatever. The 2.0 of this in Silicon Valley are sex parties where women (usually realtors or personal trainers) are brought in, dosed with MDMA, and expected to do two or three hole performances because after all, we're all having a good time. Even though afterward, these VCs (mostly white and Indian) tell the media bluntly afterward that they'd never hire a chick who whored herself out like this.

When me and my white friend go out, he's the one they first talk to, despite me having the double Ivy education and the paid off house. Pretty much every nonwhite person has examples like this. We are taught and told that this is just normative. We (or at least I) get probably more irritated than most when there's a minority who attempts to abuse the process (i.e. Colin Kaepernick) by attempting to bring in a Nike crew at the last minute, and then selling shoes to woke mostly white people as a result. We know there's BS on the other side, but that doesn't preclude us seeing the BS that already occurs privileging white people on top of a minority stack. We all know where we measure up in that.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
Forcing it for the sake of having it accomplishes nothing. The intentions of the Rooney Rule are great the results are expected.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
I keep hoping this obsession with race and identitarianism is just a phase for the Millennial generation, but alas, you're all proving to be hopeless.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
It's not a millennial thing. It's more like the NFL needs to correct this because of optics.

The gravitation of the league being 70 percent black happened organically. It's an interesting question as to why, but as it is, as a result, all viewers are rooting for African Americans, many with African American sounding names, many of whom said viewers would have avoided on the street as opposed to getting their autograph.

So with that, you'd expect to see the coaching ranks trend toward more AA coaches, especially given that ex-players are gravitating that way.

Why isn't that happening? I think it has a lot to do with HS and college and family backgrounds. If you're coming from say a Liberty City and from a broken home, standard interview-polishing is less an ingrained thing.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
The NFL is the ultimate ground for nepotism. NFL owners know it and want to keep it that way. Tons of people benefit from it and want to keep it that way forever. But consistently lie (or play dumb) to justify it. But, nothing new in America...
To those who wonder why 70% of players are Black ... all players jobs are posted years in advance (it is called the draft, free agency). Everyone knows the requirements (run fast, tackle, catch, block, ...etc) and the dates when the players will be selected. There is at least 3-year college-tapes on players, High school tapes, combine, interviews, Wonderlic tests results, ..Teams even talk to player's parents, friends, churches, coaches, know player's credit scores ... etc.
There is no secret about it.

Most jobs in the back office of the NFL and teams are not posted anywhere. Hiring processes / procedures are dubious at best. Maybe someone can tell me when and where Pete Carroll(I'm a big fan of his) posted the jobs he gave to his family members and friends. How about the Shanahans? And the Belichick? And the Grudens? And the list goes on and on. I want to know who interviews for those jobs. How they scored on those interviews and how the decisions were made to give them jobs and not others. It is all subjective. Generally, people from the same circles benefit from those jobs. Even if they did post those jobs, they most likely just did it for formalities. It is not different than in a lots of places in corporate America. I used to work there. I know.

The ideas that Blacks aren't interested in coaching or executives jobs (and need incentives to apply for these jobs) are pure lies. How can we justify that people who have played the game don't understand it enough to teach it? It doesn't even make sense... When I watch various networks (NFL Networks, ESPN, Fox,...), I see lots of former players who are well spoken, provide great analysis, understand the nuances of the game ... etc. But somehow, those guys are too dumb to coach.
When a Black coach "fails", it is generally seen in certain circles as the failure of a whole race. And very few will ever get a second chance. As soon as McCarty was hired, he turns around and hire Nolan. Apparently, Nolan gave McCarty a job 15 years ago.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
The same people that bitch about less African American head coaches than they would like to see and offer stupid solutions are the same ones that don't mention the much more disproportionate majority of African American players on the field.

Should we apply the Rooney Rule to the draft?

Of course not. Everyone wants who they think is the best. It is the same with coaches. SJWs need to BTFO.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
This YouTuber “living room gangster” made a good argument why there is not a lot of black coaches. Never thought of it the way he did. I would embed the video but don’t have time to look it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts