Phil Bates at fullback

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
I really like this experiment trying Phil Bates at fullback. He has the right body type, he should have a good understanding of overall offence as an ex-QB, and he can be a weapon for us running passing routes out of the backfield. Let him learn the position on the practice squad for a year, and then next year perhaps he can replace Mike Robinson when Mike Rob starts wearing down.

chris98251

Reaction score
Mack Strong had these kind of critics as well, replace him every year. Mike Rob is here till he doesn't want to be I think due to everything he brings on special teams leadership and yes his understanding of the offense and then his actual playing in it.

When his contract gets weighted to the more then we want to pay I'm sure he will renegotiate, after all he was cut once and knows what the street looks like and as a Fullback isn't one of the positions teams fall over each other to pick up.

Johnny

Reaction score
Dude needs to bulk up if he is willing to play fullback he's sitting at 220lbs right now, but he isn't even a reasonable candidate for the position until he reaches at least 235-240 like MikeRob is and the same goes for Spencer Ware I heard he came into camp at 219lbs I thought he came out of the draft at like 230lbs...

drdiags

Reaction score
Thought I read somewhere that Bates is sitting at 233 lbs? He didn't look that big on RRR but maybe he is heavier than he looks.

DeletedAccount

Reaction score
Carroll says he's sitting at 233 and plans to bulk up to 240 in a week. Seems like a pointless bulk up since it could only be fat weight, but there it is...

And I too love the idea of having a WR playing FB. Just one more special unique attribute to this team that will make us even harder to defend.

themunn

Reaction score
seesurfers":2q2a5qdk said:
Carroll says he's sitting at 233 and plans to bulk up to 240 in a week. Seems like a pointless bulk up since it could only be fat weight, but there it is...

And I too love the idea of having a WR playing FB. Just one more special unique attribute to this team that will make us even harder to defend.

no, he said he started at 233

He's a big kid, he's 233 pounds when we started this experiment moving him to fullback, and he'll be 240 within another week

I'm presuming they didn't decide to move him to fullback just this week

Latest posts