A cumulative collection of offensive line grievances

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1ibm9fnf said:
John63":1ibm9fnf said:
From what I am seeing which is nothing since all we got is PCs cheerleading stuff. outside of Brown we have 4 question marks and we ill not know til the first game.

The fact that Lewis is competing for a first-string spot is "nothing" to you?

Or Brandon Shell chucking people around like rag dolls?

You're seeing what you want to see.

I like what little I've seen out of Shell and Lewis... very promising stuff.

I hope Finney can continue performing at the level he did during backup duty for Pittsburgh. If he does, we're looking at possibly the best line Russell has had since the Unger line.

chris98251

Reaction score
Cumulative collection huh, well way back in the Jack Patera days we had........

IndyHawk

Reaction score
John63 is back in season form .. Dude the line is better than it has been in some time,
3 yrs ago you had a good reason to post this and I'm sure you did then too.

OP
OP
John63

John63

Reaction score
None of our olineman other than Brown are even avg pass blockers. nothing new.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
John63":31nuze0b said:

Let's go down the line.

Brandon Shell isn't terrible. Not sure I'd call him average, but he's about where Ifedi was with less penalties, and Ifedi honestly wasn't terrible in pass protection. Not good, but not terrible.

You have no idea about Damien Lewis, and therefore cannot make that claim.

BJ Finney has played very well in spot duty. Again, you have no standing on which to claim he is a below average pass blocker. Steelers fans are, and always have been, high on his ability at both the guard and center spots, and his record of allowing pressures on pass plays is excellent.

Mike Iupati, I will agree, he is a good run blocker and a bit below average in pass protection.

Duane Brown - you admit yourself, he's good.

Sorry, but your broken record act is not only excessive and derailing to every thread you post in, but is also scarcely backed by supporting data. Despite this, you continue to repeat it ad nauseum.

toffee

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2jbytcve said:
John63":2jbytcve said:

Let's go down the line.

Brandon Shell isn't terrible. Not sure I'd call him average, but he's about where Ifedi was with less penalties, and Ifedi honestly wasn't terrible in pass protection. Not good, but not terrible.

You have no idea about Damien Lewis, and therefore cannot make that claim.

BJ Finney has played very well in spot duty. Again, you have no standing on which to claim he is a below average pass blocker. Steelers fans are, and always have been, high on his ability at both the guard and center spots, and his record of allowing pressures on pass plays is excellent.

Mike Iupati, I will agree, he is a good run blocker and a bit below average in pass protection.

Duane Brown - you admit yourself, he's good.

Sorry, but your broken record act is not only excessive and derailing to every thread you post in, but is also scarcely backed by supporting data. Despite this, you continue to repeat it ad nauseum.

Our OL '20 lack big names other than Brown, lacking in name recognition is making it hard for some fans to cheer for our line.

Fade

Reaction score
We're past the grievance part at this juncture, with one caveat.

Fun Fact: Seattle dumped more resources into O-Line than any other team during the Tom Cable era. And he failed spectacularly.

After moving on from Cable. They have been conservative at the position group. With their only major move being trading a 2nd and a 3rd for Duane Brown. Cable was still there technically, but he had been de-nutted, and was a deadman walking at that point. I think all would agree that move was well worth it.

The Damien Lewis pick appears to be on point, but we will have to wait and see on that one.

Finney, Jamarco Jones, Phil Haynes, Brandon Shell, are not splash moves by any means, but will all be solid contributors.

No disaster moves like under Cable. Who had pretty much final say on O-Line personnel moves.

The one caveat is LT. They've completely ignored the fact that Duane Brown is at the end, and their entire season will be derailed if he gets hurt. I fully expect they will address LT in the upcoming off-season, while continuing to grow with the guys mentioned above.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Fade":2t3lbzwp said:
The one caveat is LT. They've completely ignored the fact that Duane Brown is at the end, and their entire season will be derailed if he gets hurt. I fully expect they will address LT in the upcoming off-season, while continuing to grow with the guys mentioned above.
Do you think Ogbuehi is worse than the typical backup LT across the league? We gave him a non-trivial deal ($2.3m) which offset a potential compensatory pick. He's a former first round pick who has five years in the league with starting experience at both LT and RT.

In comparison, just look at the other 2nd string LTs in our division. Skule was a 6th round pick last year for the 49ers who was rushed into starting and looked like a rookie. Miles was a 7th round pick for the Cardinals who played just 3 offensive snaps on the season. Brewer just opted out of the 2020 season with the Rams, and I don't even know who that makes their backup LT, probably Bobby Evans who they drafted last year to play RT. And the Rams starting LT is Whitworth who is 38 years old.

Having a great backup LT is awesome but it's kind of like having a great backup QB. The good ones should be starting for a team somewhere, and it's an open question whether it is worth the resources to keep them despite how important the position is.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
AgentDib":2vj3p514 said:
Fade":2vj3p514 said:
Do you think Ogbuehi is worse than the typical backup LT across the league? We gave him a non-trivial deal ($2.3m) which offset a potential compensatory pick. He's a former first round pick who has five years in the league with starting experience at both LT and RT.

In comparison, just look at the other 2nd string LTs in our division. Skule was a 6th round pick last year for the 49ers who was rushed into starting and looked like a rookie. Miles was a 7th round pick for the Cardinals who played just 3 offensive snaps on the season. Brewer just opted out of the 2020 season with the Rams, and I don't even know who that makes their backup LT, probably Bobby Evans who they drafted last year to play RT. And the Rams starting LT is Whitworth who is 38 years old.

Having a great backup LT is awesome but it's kind of like having a great backup QB. The good ones should be starting for a team somewhere, and it's an open question whether it is worth the resources to keep them despite how important the position is.

Ogbuehi is genuinely terrible, from what I've seen of him on the Bengals. I'm not an expert by any means, but from what I've heard from close friends and family who are Bengals fans, they hated him even worse than we hated Odhiambo at LT.

chrispy

Reaction score
Was it me, or did Duane Brown look like he's in much better shape than normal at his presser? ... at least from what you could see...

AgentDib

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":12jy09rq said:
Ogbuehi is genuinely terrible, from what I've seen of him on the Bengals. I'm not an expert by any means, but from what I've heard from close friends and family who are Bengals fans, they hated him even worse than we hated Odhiambo at LT.
I would take that with a pretty big grain of salt because Ogbuehi was a first round pick for them. Fans would be rightly disappointed by his performance compared to those lofty expectations, whereas the question in Seattle is simply how he compares as a backup tackle. If you look around the league, that's not a very high bar.