Pick #35 Malik McDowell, DT, Michigan State

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Steve2222":3miuacxz said:
MontanaHawk05":3miuacxz said:
Steve2222":3miuacxz said:
My point is that, if these guys are doing their job (which it looks like they are) and our D is ranked highly and playing well (I think they were ranked 5th in the league last year). AND one could argue that the only reason we weren't #1 is because of the injury to Earl Thomas.

If all that is true, then wouldn't it make sense to more fully address what is holding us back, which is our OLine, rather than continue to address a position which looks like it's in good shape?

Not really, for a few reasons.

First, while Bennett and Avril are certainly still raising Cain on the field, there is the sense that they're going to stop doing so any day. They're on the wrong side of 28. Bennett looked to be losing his influence even late last year, and most of Avril's production came before December as well.

Second, we did address the OL. They weren't the flashy picks that NFL Network was shoving down everyone's throats, but they did address the OL.

Third, two of Seattle's five postseason exits under Pete Carroll have arguably resulted from a lack of pass rush. 2015 and 2016 were bad luck against quality teams; in 2010 against the Bears, we were just awful in general.

Wtf? I did not write that post you quoted

editing error.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Randomly I saw a guy in London with a Michigan state jacket on so I thought I'd ask him about mm. Double and triple teamed constantly and their best player by a country mile was the feedback. He thinks he's a great signing for the seahawks.

titan3131

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":f9n63fr5 said:
titan3131":f9n63fr5 said:
FlyHawksFly":f9n63fr5 said:
titan3131":f9n63fr5 said:
If you believe that Pete isnt LYING to us then Malik played all year on a HIGH ANKLE SPRAIN- a broken leg.

sounds lazy to me /rollseyes

Where are you getting broken leg?

The term High ankle sprain is the new terminology for the older term of a "broken Leg" According to Dave wyman.

Not sure if he was joking or not, but you do realize they are different injuries?

They are not different injuries.

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/category/ ... and%20Salk

listen at 2:00 in for 30 seconds and hear brock say it again, A lower leg injury like that ( a high ankle sprain) used to be called a "Broken Leg"

naholmes

Reaction score
High ankle sprain is a ligament injury to ligaments that connect the tibia and fibula (lower leg bones) at the top of the ankle. Broken implies fracture and a broken leg would be a fracture to the tibia, fibula, or femur. A high ankle sprain can have similar symptoms and recovery time as a broken fibula, so I can see how they would be lumped together, but they are definitely different injuries.

titan3131

Reaction score
naholmes":3g2ve1z1 said:
High ankle sprain is a ligament injury to ligaments that connect the tibia and fibula (lower leg bones) at the top of the ankle. Broken implies fracture and a broken leg would be a fracture to the tibia, fibula, or femur. A high ankle sprain can have similar symptoms and recovery time as a broken fibula, so I can see how they would be lumped together, but they are definitely different injuries.

Again current medical terminology has them separated. What I was saying is that 15+ years ago a "high ankle sprain" was just called "a broken leg".

I am not saying that they are currently the same thing terminology wise. Just emphasizing how serious a high ankle sprain is - taht 15+ years ago it was a Broken leg.

Some of the casual fans just see "sprain + ankle" and think its some minor injury.

xgeoff

Reaction score
TransGenderHawkFan":y4umh822 said:
Look, we get it, you love lamp as much as Ron Burgundy

What I love is pretty much any movie with Will Ferrell in it...

Stay classy Seattle

bighawk

Reaction score
I listened to Malik's interview after he was drafted and what I liked was he Doesnt see the comparison between him and Calais C other than the height and I agree because to me he is more athletic and more quick twitch than Calais. He is unique, special , and a versatile athlete. He has interior quickness like Donald and the height like Campbell and wait until he gets into the weight room he will be an unstoppable force. You doubters will be singing his praises. We got a top 2 talent at 35.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":3pl8hncv said:
I see a lot of people are attempting to rationalize McDowell's effort, laziness or attitude. You can theorize countless excuses but ultimately he and no one else is responsible. There were all kinds of prospects who suffered through losing seasons and other worse scenarios, yet continually gave it their all. Just accept that fact and stop rationalizing...BUT...

He starts now with an absolute clean slate and the ultimate opportunity. He has a new enthusiastic DL coach and outstanding veteran DL teammates who will all be willing to work with him, help him and mold him into the pro bowl player he's capable of becoming. It's not going to come overnight-he has much to learn technique wise for the pro level, but with his size, arm length, speed off the line, tremendous power and all around freakish, God-given talent, the world could be his. It's up to him.

So I am very excited about this young man's future here. Don't expect him to be in there every series. There will be a learning curve and they'll ease him in like Clark, but when he gets going and we have our 4 warriors in sub packages it's going to be a treat to watch!

End of the day he was a 19/20 year old kid playing on a bad team and being the entire (and I mean entire) Michigan State defensive line. Could he have handled adversity better? Could he have been a better teammate? Sure. We can argue that. But end of the day, he was still a young adult. How many of you have been involved in a team atmosphere, whether it was a group project in school or working a job where your counterparts were not helping with the end goal. That is INSANELY frustrating and some people handle that worse than others.

He won't have to carry the entire defensive line here though. He won't be playing out of position. He will also have veterans always on his ass and a head coach that is a master at motivation. Malik McDowell would have been in trouble if he went to another team without these things in place, but not in Seattle.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
xgeoff":1qa5z7yi said:
So in terms of McDowell, the kid looks terrific. I'd just rather have Forrest Lamp because I think he would have made a bigger impact on the success of the team.

This is where I disagree (strongly) with the OL vs. DL argument. Obviously, the line is an issue. It's been an issue for years. But so long as it is serviceable, we've seen the offense go on tears for multiple weeks.

Our defense was smoke and mirrors last year. The Earl Thomas injury was indeed the backbreaker, once he went down so did our season.. but leading up to that, our interior pass rush was wildly inconsistent. It would be fine at home, but on the road.. they seldom showed up. This lead (IMO) to our secondary being more exposed than they have been in the Carroll era. You can chalk that up to Sherman aging and losing a step, or Jeremy Lane morphing into Cary Williams overnight.. but the fact remains, without a consistent pass rush - our secondary will get picked apart (as will most in the NFL).

Do you know how we won Super Bowl 48 and should have won Super Bowl 49? It was not strong offensive line play. It came from a menacing defensive line that would be unrelenting at getting after the QB. Our running game was the 2nd biggest reason. We have at the least attempted to get both of those back up to a championship level.

We very nearly went back-to-back with the likes of broken Max Unger, James Carpenter, Breno Giacomini, JR Sweezy, etc. on the line. That's not the Cowboys or 2005 Seahawks. That's a very average OL at best.

Our defensive line and running game were stellar though. That's the key to ANY chance at another Lombardi, and that's why Malik McDowell could be a HUGE addition to this team.

And I'm sorry but Forrest Lamp wouldn't be the thing that puts us back to that point.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
The week since the draft has left me thinking DL might not be the best crowd for him to hang around...

Kinda kidding. But yuck.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2uobuqfi said:
xgeoff":2uobuqfi said:
So in terms of McDowell, the kid looks terrific. I'd just rather have Forrest Lamp because I think he would have made a bigger impact on the success of the team.

This is where I disagree (strongly) with the OL vs. DL argument. Obviously, the line is an issue. It's been an issue for years. But so long as it is serviceable, we've seen the offense go on tears for multiple weeks.

Our defense was smoke and mirrors last year. The Earl Thomas injury was indeed the backbreaker, once he went down so did our season.. but leading up to that, our interior pass rush was wildly inconsistent. It would be fine at home, but on the road.. they seldom showed up. This lead (IMO) to our secondary being more exposed than they have been in the Carroll era. You can chalk that up to Sherman aging and losing a step, or Jeremy Lane morphing into Cary Williams overnight.. but the fact remains, without a consistent pass rush - our secondary will get picked apart (as will most in the NFL).

Do you know how we won Super Bowl 48 and should have won Super Bowl 49? It was not strong offensive line play. It came from a menacing defensive line that would be unrelenting at getting after the QB. Our running game was the 2nd biggest reason. We have at the least attempted to get both of those back up to a championship level.

We very nearly went back-to-back with the likes of broken Max Unger, James Carpenter, Breno Giacomini, JR Sweezy, etc. on the line. That's not the Cowboys or 2005 Seahawks. That's a very average OL at best.

Our defensive line and running game were stellar though. That's the key to ANY chance at another Lombardi, and that's why Malik McDowell could be a HUGE addition to this team.

And I'm sorry but Forrest Lamp wouldn't be the thing that puts us back to that point.

Nice post. :2thumbs: Very thoroughly explained.

bighawk

Reaction score
To find out that big leek played basically injured all year I am even more impressed I don't see laziness like a lot of you guys who question this pick. This shows toughness and desire to play to me yes he needs some technique work but once he is fully healthy then lookout. I am so happy because whether you guys realize it or not that we have a special player a game changer. I am calling it first DROY. defensive rookie of the year.

Latest posts