Seahawks pre-NFL combine 2024 mock draft

Chevy

Reaction score
New mock for the Seahawks before the NFL combine. In this mock draft I have us trading Geno and a 2025 4th round pick to the Falcons for their 2nd round pick this year. I know trading Geno is a hot topic, but his new contract makes it more likely than before.

1st round #16 - (QB) JJ McCarthy 6'3" 202 lbs, Michigan:
JJ is the most polarizing prospect in the draft. He has been talked about as a top-10 pick come draft day, with the caveat, that he would be a reach at that point. My quick argument would be look at LSU QB Jayden Daniels passing stats in 2022 compared to JJ passing stats in 2023. JJ put up better passing stats at a younger age. Jayden Daniels improved in one year and is now considered by some as the #2 rated QB in the draft. That would not have been the case for him last year. Which is why selecting JJ at #16 seems like a huge discout for the Seahawks. Had he stayed one more year, he could have possibly been QB #1 or #2. We can't keep kicking the rookie QB down the road, at some point we need to pull the trigger on a talented QB with upside.

2nd round #43 - (LG) Cooper Beebe 6'4" 335 lbs, Kansas State: Beebe is a monster at a Seahawks positon of need. He has the size to shut down elite NTs. He is a day one starter. We are not talking about moving a former LT to LG transition. Beebe is day one ready to dominate.

3rd round #78 - (DE/DT) Braden Fiske 6'4" 297 lbs, Florida State: Fiske I think will show out at the NFL combine as a great athlete for his size. His draft stock seems to be 2nd and 3rd round at the moment. He is very good as a pass rushing 3-4 DE, but maybe below average against the run. Our new head coach could play to his strengths and make him a force as a pass rusher.

3rd round #81 - (S) Malik Mustapha 5'11" 207 lbs, Wake Forest: I already liked Malik, but shout out to Rob for his interview with Malik. He sounds and plays like a dude that love ball. We need another elite playmaker in the secondary and Malik could be that dude!

4th round #119 - (ILB) Michael Barrett 6'0" 239 lbs, Michigan: Barrett is quick trigger ILB. He is a former QB, but has played LB in college. He is agile, quick, and a playmaker. He was put in position to succeed at Michigan, which is what he can do for the Seahawks.

5th round #151 - (SS) James Williams 6'5" 215 lbs, Miami: Williams has a bit of Kam Chancellor to him. A bit inconsistent in college, but has shown to be an enforcer/intimidator in the secondary.

6th round #194 - (DE/DT) Keith Randolph Jr. 6'5" 305 lbs, Illinois: Randolph is a dawg!!! He may start at DE, with Fiske spelling him in passing situations.

7th round #233 - (TE) Jake Westover 6'3" 245 lbs, Washington: Westover just makes plays. Draft simulators don't seem to know about him, but I know U-Dub fans do. He is a receiving threat as a TE.

Seattle Person

Reaction score
I had Mustapha in my original mock in the 6th round before all of the buzz. You can't un-see what he brings on tape. Remember what I said. He gives 0 f**** about his safety. He was the heart and soul of the Wake Forest team. Not just defense but the entire team. Glad he is blowing up.

I don't think McCarthy is a first round talent right now. However, I have come around on him. So many people knock him for his arm but I think it's more than enough to make any NFL throw. He does need to pack on some weight and develop his body. He does so many x-factor things such as avoiding the rush, 3rd down efficiency, doing well under pressure. Some of the other stuff as he gains weight and experience. Such as, he can develop his deep ball and some NFL read stuff. I like him for what he can be and not what he is now. From the QB tax stand-point -- I like McCarthy. JJ the first round pick that is expected to start right away, I don't.

I don't like James Williams the safety. James Williams the LB is very interesting to me.

OP
OP
C

Chevy

Reaction score
I had Mustapha in my original mock in the 6th round before all of the buzz. You can't un-see what he brings on tape. Remember what I said. He gives 0 f**** about his safety. He was the heart and soul of the Wake Forest team. Not just defense but the entire team. Glad he is blowing up.

I don't think McCarthy is a first round talent right now. However, I have come around on him. So many people knock him for his arm but I think it's more than enough to make any NFL throw. He does need to pack on some weight and develop his body. He does so many x-factor things such as avoiding the rush, 3rd down efficiency, doing well under pressure. Some of the other stuff as he gains weight and experience. Such as, he can develop his deep ball and some NFL read stuff. I like him for what he can be and not what he is now. From the QB tax stand-point -- I like McCarthy. JJ the first round pick that is expected to start right away, I don't.

I don't like James Williams the safety. James Williams the LB is very interesting to me.

I respect your take, well thought out. I will push back on Williams. Kam Chancellor was a SS in college who was projected to LB because of his size, or perceived limitation because of his size. I think Williams has the same evaluation on him. It comes down to team evaluation on him on his NFL position. Draft him in the 4th round as a LB is risky, considering he is not use to engaging offensive lineman and shedding them to make a play. For me, embrace what he has shown to be good at...secondary enforcer and safety with length/speed for his size.

Seattle Person

Reaction score
I get it but that's not really how the NFL is played anymore. Williams is a good athlete and has good straight line speed. However, in coverage -- it can be pretty rough. He might be asked to cover a slot or a TE. I don't think he can play single high.

I think for me, it comes down to whether he is a fit based on what we know about Mac's defense with the Ravens. James Williams has Kyle Hamilton size but he is nowhere near the versatile defender Hamilton is.

OP
OP
C

Chevy

Reaction score
I get it but that's not really how the NFL is played anymore. Williams is a good athlete and has good straight line speed. However, in coverage -- it can be pretty rough. He might be asked to cover a slot or a TE. I don't think he can play single high.

I think for me, it comes down to whether he is a fit based on what we know about Mac's defense with the Ravens. James Williams has Kyle Hamilton size but he is nowhere near the versatile defender Hamilton is.

I think a good defensive coordnator can make him a force multiplyer. Yes, the NFL has changed since the LOB days, but a good coordnator can scheme to a players strengths. If a GM wants Willimas as a LB, then wait for him in the 6th round as a developmental prospect. Then draft a proven college LB in the 3rd or 4th round.

Williams is unique as a safety, but if some GMs or draftniks only see what he can't do, then I get it.

Seattle Person

Reaction score
I think a good defensive coordnator can make him a force multiplyer. Yes, the NFL has changed since the LOB days, but a good coordnator can scheme to a players strengths. If a GM wants Willimas as a LB, then wait for him in the 6th round as a developmental prospect. Then draft a proven college LB in the 3rd or 4th round.

Williams is unique as a safety, but if some GMs or draftniks only see what he can't do, then I get it.
I don't hate him. I just don't see how he fits.

WarHawks

Reaction score
With ten qb needy teams, I don't see how JJ is still there at 16, especially if he has a good combine. If he is, it's either a sign of the apocalypse or that we're being blessed by the football gods. Overall, a great mock. I love the trade idea also. A+!

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
With ten qb needy teams, I don't see how JJ is still there at 16, especially if he has a good combine. If he is, it's either a sign of the apocalypse or that we're being blessed by the football gods. Overall, a great mock. I love the trade idea also. A+!

View attachment 65237
just because a team needs a QB it doesn’t mean they will draft 1 in the 1st rd. Most if not all teams won’t have a 1st rd grade on him. Williams, Maye and Daniels probably will.

WarHawks

Reaction score
just because a team needs a QB it doesn’t mean they will draft 1 in the 1st rd. Most if not all teams won’t have a 1st rd grade on him. Williams, Maye and Daniels probably will.
Yes, I know. But qb's are drafted ahead of their grade all the time. It happens. USA Today mock has him going 13th to the Raiders.

Last edited:

12AngryHawks

Reaction score

View attachment 65237
JJ is young, healthy, has a winners mentality, etc...everything you want in a moldable QB. Plus, the throws he makes on the move, are nothing short of impressive. I've seen a number of throws he made across his body (something QB's are told to never do) but that doesn't phase him, somehow he always seems able to make that drive sustaining play. That's why I'm leaning towards him at the moment, and I do hope they pick him at 16, cause he isn't lasting until the 2nd round. But I have a bad feeling Sean Payton has his eyes on him.

Seattle Person

Reaction score
JJ is young, healthy, has a winners mentality, etc...everything you want in a moldable QB. Plus, the throws he makes on the move, are nothing short of impressive. I've seen a number of throws he made across his body (something QB's are told to never do) but that doesn't phase him, somehow he always seems able to make that drive sustaining play. That's why I'm leaning towards him at the moment, and I do hope they pick him at 16, cause he isn't lasting until the 2nd round. But I have a bad feeling Sean Payton has his eyes on him.

I have a hard time seeing JJ getting past the Vikings and I think teams know that. It's going to be a bloodbath picks 7-9 to which team is going to want to jump another.