Pickett traded

olyfan63

Reaction score
So they signed a head case instead.

Steeler fans better get ready for a whole lot 3 and outs punctuated by 20+ yard sacks.

Going to be a frustrating year for them.

Will be fun for us to watch though! Where's the popcorn?
I think Russell will be a good fit for them. Stealers are going in with their eyes open, to have Russell be Russell, run the "Russell Wilson Offense" (with Sean Payton upgrades) and not try to have him be Aaron or Peyton. That will work for them. Along with the many 3-and-outs, and ridiculous sacks, there will be deep ball completions, TDs, very few turnovers, and if they're smart, Read-Option runs and first downs. George Pickens will be Russell's new BFF. Agree, will be FUN to see how it goes! (Goes and gets hot air popper ready...)

olyfan63

Reaction score
That's a fair take, certainly from the standpoint of a pro RW fan.

But the flip side is that this is not the same Russell Wilson of 2013-14. That Russell Wilson was amazingly elusive, a football Houdini who frequently would escape from the most impossible of situations and make game changing plays as a result. But Russ still retains those elements that made him successful 10 years ago in his current repertoire of quarterbacking skills.

Basically, he holds onto the ball too long. Despite being 35 years old, he's amongst the league leaders in both time to throw and pocket time, ie the time between the snap and when the QB either throws or the pocket collapses.

Pittsburgh's offensive line had their problems in pass protection last season, with PFF ranking them 31st in the league in that category. The Broncos OL, on the other hand, ranked 5th in pass protection, yet Russell was still the 4th most sacked QB despite playing in just 15 games.

That means that one of two things has to happen: Either the Steelers vastly improve their offensive line as it applies to pass protection, or Russell starts getting the ball out of his hands quicker, something that he hasn't been able to do his entire career.

My take is that it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks. But we'll see. It's going to be an interesting drama to watch unfold.
FWIW, I consider myself a Russell Realist, not really a pro-RW fan. It's all about the unfolding story and the drama for me. Agree with most all your points as well.

It will be interesting to see how much the Stealers run Read-Option for Russ, and what he still has. The flip side is that Pittsburgh will now have about $38M more in cap room (compared to paying $40M for a QB like the Broncos) to pursue OL upgrades and defensive "thumpers" (Chuck Knox reference). Sean Payton improved Russell's game, so that helps too, from the standpoint of ball-out-quicker, even though it was lots of screens and behind the line dump-offs. Russell minimizes turnovers, and that part of his game is still there. I think Russell upgrades the Stealers by 2-3 wins over Pickett, especially considering the additional talent they can acquire or keep under the salary cap.

Last edited:

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Also, if Russ finds his Steeler's version of Baldwin, Lockett or more recently Sutton, he'll pick up some new fans with his regular "statistically improbable" completions.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Also, if Russ finds his Steeler's version of Baldwin, Lockett or more recently Sutton, he'll pick up some new fans with his regular "statistically improbable" completions.
I think he's already there, and his name is George Pickens.

RiverDog

Reaction score
FWIW, I consider myself a Russell Realist, not really a pro-RW fan. It's all about the unfolding story and the drama for me. Agree with most all your points as well.

It will be interesting to see how much the Stealers run Read-Option for Russ, and what he still has. The flip side is that Pittsburgh will now have about $38M more in cap room (compared to paying $40M for a QB like the Broncos) to pursue OL upgrades and defensive "thumpers" (Chuck Knox reference). Sean Payton improved Russell's game, so that helps too, from the standpoint of ball-out-quicker, even though it was lots of screens and behind the line dump-offs. Russell minimizes turnovers, and that part of his game is still there. I think Russell upgrades the Stealers by 2-3 wins over Pickett, especially considering the additional talent they can acquire or keep under the salary cap.
I'm right there with you regarding being a realist vs. pro Wilson.

As poorly as Pickett played, he didn't have very many turnovers, just 4 interceptions and, despite their OL woes, was sacked just 23 times, roughly half the number of times Russell was sacked. He also got the ball out much quicker than Russell, both in terms of time to throw and pocket time.

A 2-3 win improvement on a 10-7 record in a division like the AFC North is pretty optimistic IMO.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Oly, Russ needs the antagonistic element to push him. Rudolph was like Stidham in that his Presence would push Russ. Pickett was a bitch, but Rudolph was proven. Just like Stidham.

Who are they gonna realistically get to be any sort of qb competition?

Another downward trend is the Steelers’ permissiveness about Russ’ personal social media. As bad As his 2022 stats were, they were made so much worse by his incessant insistence of himself.

Last edited:

Jville

Reaction score
"Josina Anderson of CBS Sports first reported the news.

Pickett asked for a trade in the aftermath of learning of Wilson's signing through social media on Sunday night and being told Monday morning by Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin that Wilson would get first-team reps in the pole position to be QB1, NFL Network Insider Tom Pelissero reported. Tomlin had previously told Pickett he'd have a chance to compete for the starting job, according to Pelissero." Source >>> https://www.nfl.com/news/steelers-t...gles-clearing-way-for-russell-wilson-to-start

Given all that happen, Pickett is better off taking his future elsewhere.

evergreen

Reaction score
That's a fair take, certainly from the standpoint of a pro RW fan.

But the flip side is that this is not the same Russell Wilson of 2013-14. That Russell Wilson was amazingly elusive, a football Houdini who frequently would escape from the most impossible of situations and make game changing plays as a result. But Russ still retains those elements that made him successful 10 years ago in his current repertoire of quarterbacking skills.

Basically, he holds onto the ball too long. Despite being 35 years old, he's amongst the league leaders in both time to throw and pocket time, ie the time between the snap and when the QB either throws or the pocket collapses.

Pittsburgh's offensive line had their problems in pass protection last season, with PFF ranking them 31st in the league in that category. The Broncos OL, on the other hand, ranked 5th in pass protection, yet Russell was still the 4th most sacked QB despite playing in just 15 games.

That means that one of two things has to happen: Either the Steelers vastly improve their offensive line as it applies to pass protection, or Russell starts getting the ball out of his hands quicker, something that he hasn't been able to do his entire career.

My take is that it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks. But we'll see. It's going to be an interesting drama to watch unfold.
He had a stretch in the second half of 2015 where Lynch got hurt and he threw a bunch of short passes instead of running. He had outrageous numbers like 24-1 td to int ratio. Too lazy to look it up. But that was obviously when he was awesome.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I'm right there with you regarding being a realist vs. pro Wilson.

As poorly as Pickett played, he didn't have very many turnovers, just 4 interceptions and, despite their OL woes, was sacked just 23 times, roughly half the number of times Russell was sacked. He also got the ball out much quicker than Russell, both in terms of time to throw and pocket time.

A 2-3 win improvement on a 10-7 record in a division like the AFC North is pretty optimistic IMO.
Joe Burrow would like to speak with both of you.....you actually need a real quarterback to actually matter against Buffalo or Kansas City....Pittsburgh is irrelevant in the AFC pretty much like the entire NFC currently until the quarterbacks start coming here it's a cycle.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Joe Burrow would like to speak with both of you.....you actually need a real quarterback to actually matter against Buffalo or Kansas City....Pittsburgh is irrelevant in the AFC pretty much like the entire NFC currently until the quarterbacks start coming here it's a cycle.
I never said that it wasn't. My point was that a 2-3 win improvement on a 10-7 record is a helluva leap. There's a lot bigger difference between a 2-3 win improvement when you're coming off a 3-14 season than when coming off a 10-7 year. 13-4 in most years is the best record in the league, and I don't see the Steelers having that kind of a season no matter who their quarterback is.

Last edited:

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Pickett another example of what happens when you reach for a qb who was overhyped but obviously underwhelming...anyone out there still think we made a mistake in not drafting Malik Willis???? Wasn't a fan of the Howell trade but it might of saved us from wasting a high pick on reach at qb.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Have to wonder...now that RW is the , presumably starting QB...what is ending presser will be.
Seattle...it was GoHawks
Denver ... Let's Ride
any guesses? Mine might be...CurtainsUp
Assuming he's reasonably smart and learned his lesson, he won't have one.

But I doubt he learned anything.

HawkFreak

Reaction score
Have to wonder...now that RW is the , presumably starting QB...what is ending presser will be.
Seattle...it was GoHawks
Denver ... Let's Ride
any guesses? Mine might be...CurtainsUp
Apparently it's "Here We Go" - based on the Steelers fight song since '94

James in PA

Reaction score
Apparently it's "Here We Go" - based on the Steelers fight song since '94
If Me3 wanted to reference a song that the Stealers use, he should have used a line from Renegade by Styx:

"The jig is up."

Fits perfectly.