Play call design

OP
OP
lukerguy

lukerguy

Reaction score
By saying the play design is lacking in the Red Zone and Seahawks can't move the ball well without threat of the zone read (Wilson keeping it), doesn't mean both can't be true. They're two separate observations.

The fact is that Seattle ranked in the bottom third in the red zone last year. They went out and grabbed Jimmy Graham because they thought it would fix their problems, but perhaps some motion in play design could help.

mkamodo

Reaction score
Dear wonderful people engaging in a witch hunt of my beloved Bevell and Wilson. When you run the ball 39 times with a 3.4 average (-Wilson) you're going to have play calling issues in the red zone. The O-line is quite bad. Mis-allocated resources by not releasing an aging slow Lynch and getting a 10 million dollar receiver posing as a TE is not going to help our offensive situation. When was the last time New England spent money on a running back let alone an aging one ? NEVER. Super Bowls and Playoffs are won in the trenches . Seattle of the 2000's , Dallas' formula in the 90's , Baltimore , etc .. O-line is not something to be done on the cheap. We are seeing the effects. Lets hope our Defense returns to #1 status.

seahawks08

Reaction score
Basis4day":2yae3dr9 said:
We might be getting into some semantics here, but my understanding of the offense is that Bevell calls the plays but the offense as a whole is designed by Cable.

This, Cable is the mastermind for the offense as a whole starting with the line. Bevell is just complimenting the run and pound philosophy and manage the time of possession. We will get better, we needed some games under our belt to fix the playbook.

sam1313

Reaction score
mkamodo":3vxhhgjr said:
Dear wonderful people engaging in a witch hunt of my beloved Bevell and Wilson. When you run the ball 39 times with a 3.4 average (-Wilson) you're going to have play calling issues in the red zone. The O-line is quite bad. Mis-allocated resources by not releasing an aging slow Lynch and getting a 10 million dollar receiver posing as a TE is not going to help our offensive situation. When was the last time New England spent money on a running back let alone an aging one ? NEVER. Super Bowls and Playoffs are won in the trenches . Seattle of the 2000's , Dallas' formula in the 90's , Baltimore , etc .. O-line is not something to be done on the cheap. We are seeing the effects. Lets hope our Defense returns to #1 status.

Wow, interesting first post. Why, exactly, does running the ball 39 times equal calling issues in the red zone?

And, I think that your contention that Graham is not going to help our offense is premature at best. Your claims regarding Marshawn and the o-line appear similarly premature at this point, and I am not sure how any of those issues relieves your "beloved Bevell" from blame when he calls stupid plays.

Further, since you are comparing our OL witth New Englands, since you appear to know, please explain how much each team spends on offensive linemen so we can see just how great the difference actually is.

Finally, your contention that Superbowls are won in the trenches, doesn't exactly mesh with the fact that Seattle never won a SB in the 2000s, but we did win one in 2014 with arguably a below average line and we should have won last year with a similarly below average line. I played a lot of OL in high school, and some in college, and I would typically agree that is the best way to build a team. However, that concept doesn't always hold true when you have Lynch and Willson on your team.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Let's say it's 3rd and 15. Logic calls for a pass. Darrell Bevell calls for a run, draw play. And it's not even to set up the field goal!!! That's what irritates me!! I see it all the time.

I wonder why Pete Carroll is okay with that?

What the hell is that gonna do?!?! How is that lame play calling helping?!!

Tical21

Reaction score
I liked the screen on the first play of the game. If it goes for 3-5 yards it helps Russell get off on the right foot. Also don't mind empty sets. You're fooling yourself if you think 3rd and 3+ isn't a passing down anymore, and we showed you why a bit later

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":2r4pm3b7 said:
Let's say it's 3rd and 15. Logic calls for a pass. Darrell Bevell calls for a run, draw play. And it's not even to set up the field goal!!! That's what irritates me!! I see it all the time.

To just throw that out there isn't enough. You need to know many other facets, such as what is our field position like, how much time is left, what is the score? All come into play. Once again, we do things differently because of our defense. Ideas on offense, which is a ball-control, more conservative type, is predicated on the defense holding field position. If you don't know that, you haven't been watching the Seahawks the last couple of years.

These guys know what they're doing. The armchair quarterback knows how to click a "B" button repetitively on Madden to get a good swim move.

hawk45

Reaction score
Tical21":2xunv1u4 said:
I liked the screen on the first play of the game. If it goes for 3-5 yards it helps Russell get off on the right foot. Also don't mind empty sets. You're fooling yourself if you think 3rd and 3+ isn't a passing down anymore, and we showed you why a bit later

I don't care about a screen that much if it isn't repeated when it hasn't shown to be successful. Rather see an RB screen but whatever.

You don't think PA to Lynch on a 3rd and 3 freezes the linebackers? We've shown we'll run a draw on 3rd and forever, and that is Marshawn Lynch back there. Our line may suck at short yardage, but at any time he could luck out that the backside blocks are held and go long on a cutback.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":hdrkow0x said:
I don't mind the dinking and dunking, in fact I think that this style of play call is needed until our line gets solidified. The problem that we are having here is that I don't think Wilson is particularly well suited to this type of play. It requires anticipation, great ball placement, and good pocket management to make this style work effectively. These are all things that Russell struggles in. I think he is better suited to a playbook more akin to what we saw from Bates in 2010. A lot of rollouts, and moving pockets, plays designed to keep Wilson on the move with a heavy dose of play action. Essentially the Shannahan style of playbook.

I can see why they don't just go with stuff designed for Wilson. Rollouts cut the field in half. Neither Wilson nor any other QB should roll out left and then throw right. It's an interception waiting to happen. And rolling pockets require just as much talent from the O-line as five seconds of protection.

Wilson is a tremendous QB and young, but his physical limitations make him the most challenging QB to design a gameplan around. Bevell is out of his depth, but most OC's would be. Can't sit him in the pocket; his O-line doesn't give him throwing lanes. Can't spread the field horizontally - we don't have the speedy scatbacks for it. Can't roll him out; it cuts the field in half.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3spv82zn said:
TheLegendOfBoom":3spv82zn said:

To just throw that out there isn't enough. You need to know many other facets, such as what is our field position like, how much time is left, what is the score? All come into play. Once again, we do things differently because of our defense. Ideas on offense, which is a ball-control, more conservative type, is predicated on the defense holding field position. If you don't know that, you haven't been watching the Seahawks the last couple of years.

These guys know what they're doing. The armchair quarterback knows how to click a "B" button repetitively on Madden to get a good swim move.
Darrell Bevell, is that you?!

Yes, I have been watching the Hawks for a long time. I can see why you said what you said, but when if they are playing the field, playing the clock, etc etc, it still doesn't make sense why they would run for little gains just to punt it away. I'm talking about when there is a three and out. What's the point of punting off after a little run gain? At least attemp to make another first down. This is why he is predictable.

I think most people see Bevell is very or too overtly cautious/predictable/hesitant. And that is why the general consensus he is conservative.

It's either Carroll that is offensively conservative and Bevell is the scapegoat that we fans blame or for whatever reason Pete Carroll continue to support inept play calling.

There's a saying, "if you want different results you have to do different things."

Many analyst would also agree Bevell is too vanilla.

I think the person create this topic makes a fine point. His playing calling, offensive play designs don't scare any defensive coordinators.

When was the last time you were impressed by a play call by Bevell? Don't worry I'll wait!

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":en0rboik said:
Siouxhawk":en0rboik said:
TheLegendOfBoom":en0rboik said:

Darrell Bevell, is that you?!

Yes, I have been watching the Hawks for a long time. I can see why you said what you said, but when if they are playing the field, playing the clock, etc etc, it still doesn't make sense why they would run for little gains just to punt it away. I'm talking about when there is a three and out. What's the point of punting off after a little run gain? At least attemp to make another first down. This is why he is predictable.

I think most people see Bevell is very or too overtly cautious/predictable/hesitant. And that is why the general consensus he is conservative.

It's either Carroll that is offensively conservative and Bevell is the scapegoat that we fans blame or for whatever reason Pete Carroll continue to support inept play calling.

There's a saying, "if you want different results you have to do different things."

Many analyst would also agree Bevell is too vanilla.

I think the person create this topic makes a fine point. His playing calling, offensive play designs don't scare any defensive coordinators.

When was the last time you were impressed by a play call by Bevell? Don't worry I'll wait!

First of all, just because we're running a draw, it doesn't mean it won't work. C'mon, it's Marshawn. He has shown time and time again that once he gets in space, he has the ability to rip off a big one.

And I think you are being a little near-sighted when you say that situation happens all the time. I would guess in the scenario that you described, the charts would say we tried a pass to move the chains. After the first quarter on Sunday, we passed for quite a few first downs if I recall correctly.

seedhawk

Reaction score
Will apologize right off the bat. Those of you who think Bevell has no imagination, and lacks in play design are stall blind. I would bet a dollar against a doughnut hole Bevell's playbook has damn near every play in it that all other teams run. However, he has PC as a head coach and that puts limits on what he can call. He has Cable for a line coach and his scheme limits calls also.

Perfect example, altho overlooked is the third and 18 play that gained 22 yards to Baldwin. Simple perhaps. Basic pick play, only the "pick" happens 18 yards downfield. RW had to throw that ball before Baldwin was out of his break. Hell, if RW keeps that ball a bit higher, and leads Baldwin a bit, its a touchdown.

The plays are there for the taking, the question is, Who makes the Call.