Pocic

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
gowazzu02":5gr11zsc said:
Anyone think that Pocic was so successful because he wasn't thrust into the starting roll too soon? Anyone ever give someone the benefit of the doubt around here?

I think there is something to this. Pocic needed to learn. We had a lot of new veteran faces on the line. Starting Pocic out of the gate really invites the same liability we incurred last year.

At this stage, I really like how the OL is coming together. Certainly more so than last year, where by this time it was clear that Glow/Ifedi at OG was continuing to be a train wreck.

Ifedi is growing nicely at RT. The difference between Ifedi there, and Webb/Sowell at RT last year isn't even comparable.

Joeckel has been a significant upgrade to Glow at LG.

It sucks that Fant went down, simply because that was the position we didn't have good depth to elevate. Odhiambo really isn't a LT. Probably be an ok guard. But we're limping along because we kind of have to there.

Ultimately I like where this OL is at considerably more than I did at this point last year. Pocic is going to figure prominently in 2018. And his confidence won't be wrecked because we threw him to the wolves this year. I expect Pocic will be our starting RG next season.

If next year we roll out Fant/Joeckel/Britt/Pocic/Ifedi -- I think that OL has a chance to be above average right out the gate.

Hawks46

Reaction score
ludakrishna":2g4ywvvd said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/hawkblogger/status/922305292813004800[/tweet]

Pocic did great. As a matter of fact, he was perfect in pass blocking. I remember him getting to the 2ND level on the screen pass and pancacking his defender. Due to Rawl's stupidity, he overran the blockers. Otherwise it would have been an ever longer gain. Why he was sitting on the bench can't be explained.

It's actually very easy to explain.

He probably didn't show all that well in practice. He looked a step behind in the preseason. He's gotten reps and gotten some experience.

Sometimes you have to get a chance to show you're a gamer. Some guys just don't excel in practice.

Ozzy

Reaction score
This would make sense if its how they tend to do business but its not. They've had zero problems throwing people out there with little to no experience so making a guy who actually played the position in college for 5 years sit to "learn the position" doesn't make a ton of sense although nothing they've done on the line has made a ton of sense. They've absolutely nailed just about everywhere else but have struggled evaluating this position group.

Hawks46

Reaction score
austinslater25":amdmjr3l said:
Montana that is a ridiculous reason if true and another failure of the staff when it comes to the line. We need the 5 best lineman to play. Why risk a franchise QB getting hurt, gun shy or anything else because you want a decent back up center when he would be light years better then what you have on the field play after play. I'm not saying this is what you would do, but more appalled at Cable and the staff to go this route. It's baffling.

I hope he played lights out and its an encouraging sign for sure.

How's it ridiculous ? Has he shown to be better than Joeckel ? Because Joeckel hasn't been hurt until THIS game. Just sayin'

Oh and Britt did have to come out this game. So backup Center does show to be valuable.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Pocic graded out to 78.9 for pass blocking yesterday, Joeckel was hovering around a 59 for the year.

Obviously only one game, but I say let the kid keep playing, he's a very well rounded O-lineman for a rookie. IMO he's only going to get better the more he plays. Got all the tools to be a very good guard or center.

Seymour

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":ga0dn2c3 said:
Attyla the Hawk":ga0dn2c3 said:
Ifedi is growing nicely at RT.

He took a step back yesterday. Lots of penalties.

Disagree. He was already leading the team in penalties prior to yesterday as I pointed out last week. He is the same player he was, get beat and hold or do something else stupid that kills your team. He has zero discipline. That starts early in the year with camp fights with teammates and continues through the regular season.

I am glad he is now making an occasional block along the way though.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2zme6934 said:
Pocic graded out to 78.9 for pass blocking yesterday, Joeckel was hovering around a 59 for the year.

Obviously only one game, but I say let the kid keep playing, he's a very well rounded O-lineman for a rookie. IMO he's only going to get better the more he plays. Got all the tools to be a very good guard or center.

That can't be right. Joeckel was one of the top graded guards in the entire NFL last season according to Cable. You defend Cable so please re-check your stats because you are talking about a rookie backup center beating out a top Olineman here.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Seymour":320ptfzl said:
Sgt. Largent":320ptfzl said:

That can't be right. Joeckel was one of the top graded guards in the entire NFL last season according to Cable. You defend Cable so please re-check your stats because you are talking about a rookie backup center beating out a top Olineman here.

Geez dude you are making a lot of assumptions based on very small sample sizes.
1) You assume PFF grades to be a gold standard
2) You assume that Joeckel with a bum knee should be the same as pre-injury Joeckel
3) You assume that one game against a weak Giants squad missing Olivier Vernon can be a statistical comparison to a player that has 5 more games under his belt
4) You assume that the Hawks put Joeckel in there purely because he's better. Could be they wanted some experience beside Rees, until Rees got his feet under him

I get it, lots of you hate Tom Cable. And our OL talent evaluation.

But year after year we put a young OL out there of mostly midround draft picks and get them to play serviceable football by the second half of the season. Is it an ideal universe? No. But do we really think replacing Cable will solve things? That is magical thinking. Our OL woes are multifactorial and I actually think Tom Cable is near the bottom of the list of causal factors.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":gdkguzx9 said:
Sgt. Largent":gdkguzx9 said:

I shooped it from Hawk Blogger's tweet, sorry I don't know how to embed.

Hawk Blogger‏ @hawkblogger 1h1 hour ago
More
OL @EthanPocic pass block grade was 78.9 from PFF. Luke Joeckel was at 59.1 on the year. Matches my first impression. Let the kid play.

Who said anything about last year? This is for this year.

Hopefully I have fulfilled all of your stat request checks and doublechecks to your satisfaction, and we can now move on with our lives.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":q97ezo9z said:

Your man, Cable. Lets drop it....it's at about 40,000 feet about now.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":6mt4x2hz said:
Sgt. Largent":6mt4x2hz said:

Instant Replay

Sarge: "Here are some stats"
Seymour: "You're wrong, re-check your stats <interjects irrelevant Cable jab>
Sarge: "Here's proof"
Seymour: "Let's drop it" (cause I'm wrong) <interjects another irrelevant jab>

Good stuff Seymour, good stuff.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
austinslater25":1wjp4iux said:
Montana that is a ridiculous reason if true and another failure of the staff when it comes to the line. We need the 5 best lineman to play. Why risk a franchise QB getting hurt, gun shy or anything else because you want a decent back up center when he would be light years better then what you have on the field play after play. I'm not saying this is what you would do, but more appalled at Cable and the staff to go this route. It's baffling.

I hope he played lights out and its an encouraging sign for sure.

I"m sure there's a lot of backup centers on the cheap.. besides, there is a chance, but probably pretty marginal that both go down at the same time.. Britt has an issue, Pocic can then slide over. I think that is how it works.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2pqzq6hu said:
Seymour":2pqzq6hu said:
Sgt. Largent":2pqzq6hu said:

Instant Replay

Sarge: "Here are some stats"
Seymour: "You're wrong, re-check your stats <interjects irrelevant Cable jab>
(= sarcasm)
Sarge: "Here's proof"
Seymour: "Let's drop it" (cause I'm wrong) <interjects another irrelevant jab>

Good stuff Seymour, good stuff.

40,000 feet means it went over your head. There...enough yet?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
For those questioning the drafting of Pocic they have some crow to chow down on after his performance this last weekend.

Seymour

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2a98ecvv said:
Seymour":2a98ecvv said:
Sgt. Largent":2a98ecvv said:

Kids.
Try looking up the word sarcasm sometime. :roll:

hawk45

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2i4q12xa said:
For those questioning the drafting of Pocic they have some crow to chow down on after his performance this last weekend.

If you're referring to the "why did we draft Pocic" thread, that thread was about how stupid it was to draft a player like Pocic if we weren't going to play him. That sentiment was only strengthened by a solid performance.

Seymour

Reaction score
hawk45":2ygj6hyq said:
jammerhawk":2ygj6hyq said:

If you're referring to the "why did we draft Pocic" thread, that thread was about how stupid it was to draft a player like Pocic if we weren't going to play him. That sentiment was only strengthened by a solid performance.

Exactly.
That is my issue with the subject also. I liked the pick, and have only questioned the position to keep one of your better players on the bench. Seems like we are making him pay the price for Ifedi being a v e r y slow learner, with v e r y slow feet.

IrishNW

Reaction score
Seymour":ylipsl0a said:
gowazzu02":ylipsl0a said:
Man people are angry around here.

Anyone think that Pocic was so successful because he wasn't thrust into the starting roll too soon? Anyone ever give someone the benefit of the doubt around here?

Why would they when he pretty much showed the same thing in the pre season?

Cable deserves the benefit of the doubt exactly why? Besides that, there is no doubt when it comes to him anyway.

did you even watch the pre-season? Pocic looked below average.

Once Britt rolled his ankle Pocic became way to valuable to risk

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Seymour":115oorhb said:
Mad Dog":115oorhb said:
Seymour":115oorhb said:
Sgt. Largent":115oorhb said:

Kids.
Try looking up the word sarcasm sometime. :roll:

Sarcasm is always hard to deterimine in print form, especially on a site known for rash judgement and negative hyperbole. My apologies.