POLL: Marshawn Lynch Will he or Wont he?

Marshawn Lynch will he or wont he?

• No: he will hold out, he wants more money or some recognition.

Votes: 42 39.6%
  • Yes: he will show up for camp, he still may want those things but the team and contract come first.

Votes: 64 60.4%

• Total voters

kf3339

Reaction score
Hawknballs":2ft2hoew said:
For the "marshawn is paid like a top back already" bunch, Peterson is set to make 12m this year, McCoy 9.7m. Lynch 5.5.

How many Super Bowl rings do either of them have right now? Which has a realistic chance of getting one in the next year or two? There is money and then there is legacy. Just saying.

chrispy

Reaction score
I wonder....

if Marshawn is worried more than anything. He's not one to take advantage of the spotlight, but that's really the main advantage a pro athlete comes out of his sport with. If I'm in Marshawn's shoes, I'm thinking, "Football is the only thing I've ever done. What happens when no one wants me?" We've heard that before. But the answers are, many times: acting, commentating, reporting, endorsements.... None of those options, that build on an athlete's fame, would appeal to Marshawn I'd guess. So what does he do when the pads come off?

Maybe I'm not giving him and his advisors enough credit. Perhaps they have options lined up. To me however, it seems like the stakes are even higher because Marshawn wouldn't want to commit to many of the options that might be open to him after playing.

So where I'm going with this is that maybe it's not a "mo' money" thing at all. Maybe it's just that he wants to have a chance to be on the team for a few more years. Maybe he'd go for very low money in '15, '16 and '17 knowing the team can justify (maybe) 1 mil to keep him in the backfield but definitely not 9 mil. The way it stands now, he's basically guaranteed to get cut next offseason. He knows a 29 yr old RB, with a stable of younger and cheaper alternatives, isn't going to remain on a team that has to swallow a 9mil payout.

What kind of salary would the Seahawks be willing to carry to keep Lynch on for another few years? There has to be some number that makes sense.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I actually hope he doesn't show, for whatever reason - he doesn't need the wear and tear of a mini-camp, he can get all his warming up and rust-knocking-off done in some preseason games.

As far as his contract goes it will be telling from a team perspective what they do if he's indeed holding out in hopes of redoing the deal. Either way I think he plays this year, but if it's under a new deal it means they plan on him being here in 15, if it's under the same deal, then they must have tremendous faith in Christine Michael because that puts Lynch's chances of being back at almost 0 IMO.

tom sawyer

Reaction score
I give him credit for being smart enough and loyal enough to fullfill his agreed contract as is. He has another year in him, He stands to lose more by early retirement.

I'm betting he stays on one more year. ... at least. No matter what! barring injury.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kf3339":jshgzla8 said:
Hawknballs":jshgzla8 said:
For the "marshawn is paid like a top back already" bunch, Peterson is set to make 12m this year, McCoy 9.7m. Lynch 5.5.

How many Super Bowl rings do either of them have right now? Which has a realistic chance of getting one in the next year or two? There is money and then there is legacy. Just saying.

You don't pay a player because of his legacy, or based on on how many rings he has. You pay a player based on production, period.

Marshawn produces, and that's why he got a big fat extension two years ago, and is set to earn another 5.5M this year. In the age of pass happy multi back offenses, this is a very good salary for a RB. A fair salary, especially for a guy who does his own thing and plays for an organization that "let's Marshawn be Marshawn." That has value.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
tom sawyer":19ayj7w1 said:
I give him credit for being smart enough and loyal enough to fullfill his agreed contract as is. He has another year in him, He stands to lose more by early retirement.

I'm betting he stays on one more year. ... at least. No matter what! barring injury.

The problem is that teams almost NEVER fulfill a contract as is. They ask players to restructure. They ask players to take pay cuts. They just cut players when the contracts they agreed to become a danger to the salary cap. And I think that's why Marshawn is doing what he's doing... the likelihood of him seeing that 2015 year of the deal that he and the team agreed to is almost nil.

Subzero717

Reaction score
kf3339":1l4j3ksv said:
Hawknballs":1l4j3ksv said:

I think its amusing when normal people think athletes shouldnt care about making as much money as they can.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3i7xqigh said:
kf3339":3i7xqigh said:
Hawknballs":3i7xqigh said:

You don't pay a player because of his legacy, or based on on how many rings he has. You pay a player based on production, period.

Marshawn produces, and that's why he got a big fat extension two years ago, and is set to earn another 5.5M this year. In the age of pass happy multi back offenses, this is a very good salary for a RB. A fair salary, especially for a guy who does his own thing and plays for an organization that "let's Marshawn be Marshawn." That has value.

Yeah.

At any job if you perform well you hope to be rewarded. Now I realize a normal job and an NFL contract are vastly different, and I've pointed out how different they are myself before as a defense, but let's say your company earns awards for their leading success in that specific industry, and you're one of the top associates at that job - does that mean you sit back and say 'wow I don't need a raise, just being successful is reward enough!'. No, because you expect success to come with benefits. Marshawn took his deal after a 7-9 season and has been a huge part of the success. Now he faces likely termination of his contract on behalf of the team after this year, else they will approach him with an offer to get paid less.

From his perspective I'm not gonna hold it against him for wanting a little more. I don't by any means think Lynch is being greedy or wants to break the bank or hurt the team. I think he just wants some cash in pocket, and possibly some assurances that he won't just be dumped after the season.

I don't believe he would miss games if they decide not to work with him but I also don't think he's too concerned about being fined if he doesn't show up. He's not needy of the cash but he wants a little something.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":1zq803o0 said:
kf3339":1zq803o0 said:
Hawknballs":1zq803o0 said:

I think its amusing when normal people think athletes shouldnt care about making as much money as they can.

Especially football players that can be cut at any time.

I've said before, I don't blame Marshawn one bit...........but that doesn't change the fact that I don't think he's going to get what he wants. He has zero leverage, and in negotiations, that's all that matters.

Cartire

Reaction score
I wonder when will hear about this. You would think we would have been notified via twitter by a reporter by now if he is around the facility. All the other teams no shows are being broadcasted.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Cartire":2l4p6tjh said:
I wonder when will hear about this. You would think we would have been notified via twitter by a reporter by now if he is around the facility. All the other teams no shows are being broadcasted.

It will be soon after practice starts. The beat reporters have rules on what/when they can report certain information in exchange for their media passes. 710 and KJR are both doing shows from the VMAC so we'll know when/if Lynch emerges from the tunnel.

Or just keep checking back for 7 new threads on the subject the second something is reported over twitter.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Basis4day":3pik0t0p said:
Cartire":3pik0t0p said:

It will be soon after practice starts. The beat reporters have rules on what/when they can report certain information in exchange for their media passes. 710 and KJR are both doing shows from the VMAC so we'll know when/if Lynch emerges from the tunnel.

Or just keep checking back for 7 new threads on the subject the second something is reported over twitter.

Blount is reporting he is expected to be there.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1203ybwc said:
CALIHAWK1":1203ybwc said:
kf3339":1203ybwc said:
Hawknballs":1203ybwc said:

Especially football players that can be cut at any time.

I've said before, I don't blame Marshawn one bit...........but that doesn't change the fact that I don't think he's going to get what he wants. He has zero leverage, and in negotiations, that's all that matters.

his leverage is:

1.) How interested the hawks were in looking ahead to 2015 and seeing him as a part of the team

2.) How much faith they really have in Christine Michael

3.) How real his interest in retiring and not playing in 2014 might be

Depending on the answers to those three questions his leverage ranges anywhere from minimal to significant.

In the case of point one, his leverage rises dramatically if it were a desire by the team to eventually redo his deal to keep him through '15 anyways, because it might actually benefit them to do a deal now to reduce the cap hit next year. In point two, even if they have a lot of faith in Michael it still hasn't been tested on the field on more than a few plays. And on the final point, I don't think anyone on this team is prepared to begin 2014 without Lynch on the roster.

"no leverage" is an overstatement though. It may not be significant but it exists.

OP
OP
Rainger

Rainger

Reaction score
Final poll results when ML showed up for camp was 47 yes and 41 no. Any votes cast after that don't count. so 53% of us were right. Good on Ya Marshan.

warden

Reaction score
Ever wonder why Lynch hates the media so much

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Retweeted by Danny Kelly
Terry Blount ‏@TerryBlountESPN 46m
Lynch expected to show up today for minicamp, believing in good faith something can be done on his contract.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Bob Condotta ‏@bcondotta 3m
Marshawn Lynch has indeed arrived at Seattle's mini-camp.