Pope is a Jet, Burley to Browns

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3a2tw786 said:
hawknation2016":3a2tw786 said:
I'm depressed about losing Burley and not having a true backup nickel corner, especially with Lane's injury history. I feel our rigid height requirement for corners may have backfired.

Burley is Josh Wilson all over again. I think Elliott will replace him just fine

Elliot is a boundary corner.

Basis4day

Reaction score
A lot of posters seemed excited for Browner to guard TE. They went heavy at safety and i assume that those players would take the role envisioned for Browner.

dogorama

Reaction score
Basis4day":g1l3tbg4 said:
dogorama":g1l3tbg4 said:
Seafan":g1l3tbg4 said:
Sad. Burley to the Browns.

Per Condotta.

I don't know the rules regarding this. Does a player picked up off of 53-man waivers automatically get a contract or is it a week to week deal.

I believe they take on the players prior contract.

So, they get the standard UDFA rookie 3-year contract that starts at 450K. And, given that is about 26,000 a wk for the 17-week season, they could end up making zero, or as little as 26K if they do, or do not, make it through wk 1 and then get cut. It's a pretty tenuous situation if you ask me.

All this talk about how NFL players should feel lucky to make such enormous amounts of money is a bit overblown if you ask me. Most of these players have worked their butt off for 10-14 yrs before they even become the rare football player that even gets an NFL tryout.

Basis4day

Reaction score
dogorama":2m325qi3 said:
Basis4day":2m325qi3 said:
dogorama":2m325qi3 said:
Seafan":2m325qi3 said:
Sad. Burley to the Browns.

Per Condotta.

I don't know the rules regarding this. Does a player picked up off of 53-man waivers automatically get a contract or is it a week to week deal.

I believe they take on the players prior contract.

So, they get the standard UDFA rookie 3-year contract that starts at 450K. And, given that is about 26,000 a wk for the 17-week season, they could end up making zero, or as little as 26K if they do, or do not, make it through wk 1 and then get cut. It's a pretty tenuous situation if you ask me.

All this talk about how NFL players should feel lucky to make such enormous amounts of money is a bit overblown if you ask me. Most of these players have worked their butt off for 10-14 yrs before they even become the rare football player that even gets an NFL tryout.

Well, Burley was due 600,000 this year and this is the only year on his contract. My understanding is that contract now belongs to the Browns.

jake206

Reaction score
I kind of knew this would happen. Schneider gambled and lost. Pope's preseason was just to good for other teams to not notice. Oh well that's life of a NFL GM... One good thing is that he's in the AFC, so I don't feel bad rooting for him except for that October 2nd game.

crosfam

Reaction score
just read a Jets message board. Everybody is saying "who is this guy", "too small", "we don't need another RB"...

Shows you how posters do not really get it :roll:

There are 32 teams out there, and we fans tend to focus and root for our own bubble players. look how our PS is all other team cuts so far...

dogorama

Reaction score
Basis4day":3ibi77su said:
Well, Burley was due 600,000 this year and this is the only year on his contract. My understanding is that contract now belongs to the Browns.

Which means that is the last year of his three-year UDFA contract. The rookie contract graduates every year of the contract.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":m1d1lzgz said:
You'd think we just cut Earl Thomas or something the way people are upset over this Pope move. I mean he had a nice preseason but he's no better than the 3 guys who would be ahead of him on the depth chart.

There's a lot of reason to think otherwise. Collins and Prosise have been pretty iffy; Pope made a statement. And while it was against third-stringers, it's easy to imagine Pope's attitude as the thing that lifts him beyond that.

Ah, well. Pete and John just figured that they had another Pope already in Rawls, so they decided to see if the different profiles in Collins and Prosise were worth developing. I can understand that.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I'm am going to laugh (and cry) when they both turn out to be worthless.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
good to see pope gotta job. Lets see if he makes us regret keeping collins over him.Burley is > than Simon...simple as that.

Basis4day

Reaction score
dogorama":1by2by9e said:
Basis4day":1by2by9e said:

Which means that is the last year of his three-year UDFA contract. The rookie contract graduates every year of the contract.

Perhaps im being unclear. Your initial question is what happens to claimed players.

There is one year left on his contract and he is due 600k. The Browns owe Burley 600k if he remains on the roster.
I didn't want to confuse the question by talking about contract years already paid out.

Hawkfish

Reaction score
The Jets have a poor run play O Line. Don't think that Pope will do much. He'll be back here IMO.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hawkfish":2qmedfz1 said:
The Jets have a poor run play O Line. Don't think that Pope will do much. He'll be back here IMO.
That's very possible.

Largent80

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":v3y38962 said:
hawknation2016":v3y38962 said:
I'm depressed about losing Burley and not having a true backup nickel corner, especially with Lane's injury history. I feel our rigid height requirement for corners may have backfired.

Burley is Josh Wilson all over again. I think Elliott will replace him just fine

With this comment you have dropped it the bottom of credibility. He has been a good player for us. Why would you say this about a guy that came in when we needed a decent player to replace an injured one and actually make plays that help the defense?

dogorama

Reaction score
Basis4day":dn8164kz said:
dogorama":dn8164kz said:
Basis4day":dn8164kz said:

Perhaps im being unclear. Your initial question is what happens to claimed players.

There is one year left on his contract and he is due 600k. The Browns owe Burley 600k if he remains on the roster.
I didn't want to confuse the question by talking about contract years already paid out.

Yeah, that's cool but you made it sound like he just had a one-year contract so I was clarifying it as much for myself as anything. To tell you the truth I haven't spent much time on salary issues before this year, but it is really important in trying to understand roster moves.

I didn't state it well enough when I initially posted but what I was trying to understand is the impact of being picked up by another team. What I have found out is that It sounds good on the surface, but you can get cut at any time as teams are still juggling their rosters. In fact it would be really easy to end up right back where you started. Not a fun place to be for someone who has spent their entire life trying to get to this place.

kearly

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1nls3gvh said:
You'd think we just cut Earl Thomas or something the way people are upset over this Pope move. I mean he had a nice preseason but he's no better than the 3 guys who would be ahead of him on the depth chart.

I would put Pope ahead of Procise personally. Not on talent necessarily, but fit matters more than talent with a well run ZBS. Rawls and Michael are easily ahead of Pope, but I suspect that Michael is a rental player and will be signing with a new team next year after getting priced out.

Hasselbeck":1nls3gvh said:

Wilson was a really nice player for a couple of years, unfortunately the "early peak, early decline" curse of the Tim Ruskell draft pick bit him just like so many others.

Personally, I liked what Elliot showed, albeit in a tiny sample size. I was suprised by the Burley cut, but he's a bit of a JAG, IMO.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
getnasty":xkrwfag4 said:
I liked Pope but people are overstating his greatness.
His what? What has he ever done? Seriously. Welcome to .Net. Running Backs are a dime a dozen, exhibit 1 Thomas Rawls, you know that UFDA that will be getting most of the carries? Exhibit 2 Christine Michael, you know that guy we traded to Dallas that they cut and we brought in from the street? And get the rest of the carries.

So Michael signs somewhere else (not a guarantee given we gave him his third real shot), it isn't like we can't find his replacement so fast everyone will be doing their best Jodie Foster Exorcist head spin.

The season can't start soon enough because all this hand wringing about players that wouldn't actually be in a real game for us is getting sickening.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
The more I think about it the more it make sense to let Pope get claimed.

Pope would of been, if kept on the 53 or PS, he wouldn't have much time to play. Maybe 5-10 snaps this year, more if we start blowing out teams. The best thing Pete did was gamble, but in the long run for Pope is that he gets to be used more often by a different team, where else here he wouldn't have been used much.

Pope will be going to a team that will give him a better chance to play more and I'm happy for him even if he is not in a Seahawks uniform. Wish the guy luck.

kearly

Reaction score
Spencer Ware was my adopt-a-rookie a rookie in 2013. Not only did he have a killer college highlight reel, but in preseason action he showed vision, feel, power, and resiliency that legitimately deserved a degree of comparison to Marshawn Lynch. Unfortunately, for as talented as Ware was, his lack of explosiveness and speed made him a poor fit for Tom Cable, and by year two he was gone, understandably so.

Now he's with the Kansas City Chiefs, and suddenly he looks like the incredible running back I always though he should have been. The reason? The Chiefs scheme is a little different than ours, and a lack of explosiveness at RB isn't a kiss of death in their running game. Team fit and scheme fit MATTERS.

You all probably think I hate Alex Collins. I don't. I hate his fit in a read option offense. He just doesn't have the balance, resiliency, vision, feel, power, or suddenness to thrive in Tom Cable's bar fight system. Now, if you snap the ball under center and put Collins 7 yards deep in the backfield to give him a sprinting start at the handoff and give him a clear lane, he's going to get you a lot of 10-20 yard runs. There are teams in this league that run those plays regularly as a staple of their offense, and for teams like those, Collins is a no-doubter NFL player.

On the flipside, I don't know if Pope is talented enough to make it in this league on talent alone. He's the kind of guy that needs the right team and the right fit, and Seattle was that team. So it's a bit of a lose-lose for both Collins and Pope IMO. Collins would be better elsewhere, and Pope would be better here than in New York.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
kearly":2xwxm839 said:
Spencer Ware was my adopt-a-rookie a rookie in 2013. Not only did he have a killer college highlight reel, but in preseason action he showed vision, feel, power, and resiliency that legitimately deserved a degree of comparison to Marshawn Lynch. Unfortunately, for as talented as Ware was, his lack of explosiveness and speed made him a poor fit for Tom Cable, and by year two he was gone, understandably so.

Now he's with the Kansas City Chiefs, and suddenly he looks like the incredible running back I always though he should have been. The reason? The Chiefs scheme is a little different than ours, and a lack of explosiveness at RB isn't a kiss of death in their running game. Team fit and scheme fit MATTERS.

You all probably think I hate Alex Collins. I don't. I hate his fit in a read option offense. He just doesn't have the balance, resiliency, vision, feel, power, or suddenness to thrive in Tom Cable's bar fight system. Now, if you snap the ball under center and put Collins 7 yards deep in the backfield to give him a sprinting start at the handoff and give him a clear lane, he's going to get you a lot of 10-20 yard runs. There are teams in this league that run those plays regularly as a staple of their offense, and for teams like those, Collins is a no-doubter NFL player.

On the flipside, I don't know if Pope is talented enough to make it in this league on talent alone. He's the kind of guy that needs the right team and the right fit, and Seattle was that team. So it's a bit of a lose-lose for both Collins and Pope IMO. Collins would be better elsewhere, and Pope would be better here than in New York.
Ware is good and he's good for Kansas City but fact is we had better when we cut him and we have better right now. I say this with utter confidence since I watch every single game he is in. Burley is different he was good for us but he's injured and we took a gamble and lost. Obviously they wanted to protect someone with far better upside in this case so they took a risk and lost, at least on the surface. Or they flat out have someone that is a better fit for what they actually plan to do on defense. The recent trades all but confirm this.