Positive takeaways from this game

cymatica

Reaction score
The most optimistic takeaway is that this game was probably an outlier.

After listening to Pete's presser and rewatching the game, it's pretty clear the coaches were caught with their pants down in the second half. Why? A) The starting tackles were injured, and B) Hurt needed to be more aggressive to compensate but remained passive.

The thing is, the coaching staff didn't have much of an opportunity to adjust. The offense played fine in the first half, so it's reasonable to expect a similar performance. And if the offense stays on the field and scores points, the passive approach to defense works. However, both tackles were out after the first drive of the second half, and the backup lineman couldn't block anyone on our second drive.

The result? The Rams ran 37 plays on their first three drives, scored 17 points, and held the ball for 17 minutes. And that's not a result of bad defense. They weren't blowing multiple coverages or missing easy tackles. And Stafford made several outstanding plays, and his receivers made difficult catches.

The problem is that the Seahawk's coaching staff failed to recognize and adapt to a difficult situation. They needed to get aggressive, blitz, and get the ball back. Instead, they seemed content to let the Rams cut them to death and bleed the clock.

The good news is that it's not a talent issue!
This pisses me off more. The coaches shit the bed and showed their incompetence. The offense in the 2nd half may have had the worst performance I've ever seen watching football, including mismatched college games.

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score
Charlie Whitehurst and the Cleveland Browns say hello.
IMG 5170
That’s definitely up (well, down) there, along with a handful of clunkers from 1992 - but this has to be the absolute worst. A game in the Kingdome played by these Rams’ and Seahawks’ grandfathers.
Hawks had MINUS 7 yards of total offense for the game, and that’s only because sacks weren’t official stats for about 3 more years or else I believe 62 yards in the red was the true total.

For weirdos like me that are fans of the Huskies, Cougars, Mariners, and Seahawks yesterday was a such a great day and today sucked arse.

CPHawk

Reaction score
One week closer to getting Spoon back, and sitting a couple of these Cb who played today.

K9 was great. And we rested him most of the second half, so he should be fresh next week.

Bobo got wide open today, unfortunately the qb didn’t see him.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Help me out here! I know we can find some silver linings! I'll start:

1) The Defense was very good against the run on 1st and 2nd down between the 20s! True they really sucked on 3rd downs and in the red zone but at least they didn't completely suck!

2) It looks like we'll save some cap next year not having to pay Geno's escalators/incentives! We were all worried that we may see 2nd-half-of-the-season Geno this year. He decided to not wait til the 2nd half of the season, but graced us with his presence in the 2nd half of the first game! It looks like we'll be able to keep him for next season at a lower price, assuming he continues subpar play!

3) Wagner didn't forget how to tackle! He may be slower and can't chase down QBs, but he can still tackle players he can catch! Having at least 1 player on defense who can tackle is a good thing.

4) PC now has perfect film showing exactly how bad his schemes suck, and why they are so horrendous. Even though it's been like this for 6 years, I'm confident that NOW he will actually get creative and aggressive and the new schemes will be effective. A top-25 defense is just around the corner!

That's all I can think of. Help me out here.
Sorry but it seems 5-12 is a real possibility. The core issue isn't talent it's the coaching and lack of adjustments during games to compensate for what is actually happening in said games.

Film12Hawk

Reaction score
Positive? We're not overpaying Russell Wilson and have a quarterback friendly deal that we can cut bait on if worse comes to worse.

HawaiiD

Reaction score
This might have been one of the worst games ever played by any Seahawk team in any era against any opponent. It probably will never be that bad again.

We won't be as bad as we looked today. Just nowhere near as good as most hoped.
I want to say there is a record that should never be broken set back iin the Jim Zorn era I believe? - yards of offense in a game.I do remember listening to it on radio when I was a kid.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Last week Kyle Brandt (love or hate him) on GMFB kept saying how much Week 1 was a liar. Even before this game I remember agreeing with him. His point is weird shit happens in Week 1 (and he had plenty of examples to prove his point). Teams who won week one can end up being crap the rest of the year and visa versa.

More interesting, he predicted the Rams would upset the Seahawks in week one. However, he went on to say that even through he saw the Rams beating the Seahawks, they will still win the division.

Let’s hope his second prediction is as accurate as his first.

It’s likely we won’t look this poor again this year.

cymatica

Reaction score
Upon reflection, the Rams playing here for game 1 screams upset. However, a game 1 loss with a dog crap performance should light a fire under their ass against a tough opponent they can play well against.

Last edited: