Reaction score
Who will they be come week one? I think it's

Baldwin
Lockett
Richardson
Mcevoy
Williams
Darboh

The first 3 will be locks for sure. Mcevoy just produces when given his opportunities. And it absolutely helps his chances that he was on the 53 all last year and had good moments. Williams should be the one who unseats Kearse. Although he was quiet last night (he did recover that muffed punt, though) he has looked good all offseason, especially in the preseason with the Russ group. Darboh is a wild card. But he is a legit talent with major upside. He could be redshirted for the majority of the season.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Darboh has done nothing this preseason. He isn't getting many passes thrown his way, but I don't know if that's a result of him not getting open or if the QBs just aren't throwing to him. I wouldn't be surprised if the Hawks trade him for a late round pick or just cut him outright (they have done that with drafted WRs in the past).

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Mcevoy just produces when given his opportunities.

WRs make their own opportunities. Wilson and the coaches aren't necessarily just forgetting he's there. A WR has to do work in getting open. The fact that he's only had a handful of plays might be down to him.

At this point, the one who's proven the least on this roster is Amara Darboh, and given Week 3 is the biggest chance to make that happen, I'm starting to think his chance is past. I think McEvoy's versatility and Kasen's effort are both too much for the staff to ignore. They'll try to sneak Darboh onto the practice squad, and given his lack of production, he might make it.

And sorry, everyone, I don't see Kearse getting cut. Maybe next year, but not this year. With this front office's insistence on relying on tiny guys at WR (ADB, PR, No-E), we'll want proven depth, and like it or not, Kearse has still proven more over the years than McEvoy or Kasen. One down year isn't and shouldn't be fatal, especially if you remember his 2015 season like I do.

Baldwin, Lockett, Richardson, Kearse, McEvoy, Williams. That's my prediction.

Rat

Reaction score
Baldwin
Lockett
Richardson
Kearse
McEvoy
Darboh

Kasen is this year's surprise cut that infuriates a large portion of the fan base. There's usually at least one per year.

pcbball12

Reaction score
Not sure why anyone would have Darboh on opening roster other than the 3rd round pick we spent on him. Been hurt, and when given opportunities has made a few drops. Reminds me of the Chris Harper preseason. One of two things happen with him IMO. He is either cut with hopes of sneaking onto practice squad. Or a fantom injury pops up where we could IR him and use this year as a redshirt type of year.

My guess right now is PRich, Doug, Lock, Kearse, Kasen, and Mckissic. I say mckissic over Mcavoy due to versatility of being a RB and KR/PR...especially with Lock coming off injury. If it were up to me I'd keep Mcavoy over Kearse. Mcavoy provides more on specials, gives us the big target on outside, and Kasen gives you everything Kearse does and some.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Not sure what justification would be to keep Darboh.

Wasn't a fan of the pick when we made it. He's pretty much confirmed my doubts as the preseason has rolled along. I'm not there for practice, so I can't speak to what the team sees in him day in and day out. However we do see and have seen the quality of McEvoy and Williams. Both in this preseason and in regular season action.

It doesn't make sense to me to cut one of those two guys for someone that is pretty much a complete unknown. I can't even guess as to why another team in the NFL would sign him off waivers to their active 53. Should be a safe stash on PS.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2gfak4bp said:
Not sure what justification would be to keep Darboh.

Wasn't a fan of the pick when we made it. He's pretty much confirmed my doubts as the preseason has rolled along. I'm not there for practice, so I can't speak to what the team sees in him day in and day out. However we do see and have seen the quality of McEvoy and Williams. Both in this preseason and in regular season action.

It doesn't make sense to me to cut one of those two guys for someone that is pretty much a complete unknown. I can't even guess as to why another team in the NFL would sign him off waivers to their active 53. Should be a safe stash on PS.
I'm with you on this. I see Darboh as a pretty easy PS stash and if someone takes him thats fine.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
I've been giving this battle some pretty extensive thought. I've stepped back a bit and really tried to view these guys through the lenses of the coaching staff. What does each guy do? What unique skills does each receiver have? How does each help to enhance and make the overall WR unit better? So, after last night, here's what I'm personally thinking ...

LOCKS ...

Baldwin
Lockett
Richardson
Kearse
Kasen Williams -- despite the fact that Williams didn't do a whole lot last night, I think he's shown enough to make him a virtual lock at this point.

On the Bubble (listed in the order whom I think has the greater shot at making the team) ...

1. JD McKissic -- Last night was a real showcase of the unique player that McKissic is and what he can do. He really showed himself to be a quality return man (both punt and kickoff return) and for me, that's HUGE especially if Lockett is not able to go. The fact that you can also slide him in there at the slot receiver spot ... or put him in there at RB also makes him a highly unique player. Here's a wild thought -- if Prosise can't go for whatever reason, can I see McKissic giving this team that same kind of player (a dual receiving and running threat)? Yeah, I actually CAN envision him being basically similar to Prosise last year. Personally, I think he's just about a variable lock for that final spot. I give him the nod at this point over McEvoy because of his potential as a return guy and on the Special Teams coverage units.

2. Tanner McEvoy -- Again, he's shown a lot in Special Teams and that like Williams, he's got a real unique skillset. He can go up and get those jump balls just like Williams. I like him -- I just think that McKissic is ahead of him for that final spot for the reasons noted above.

3. David Moore -- With his size, speed, etc. -- I love the POTENTIAL of a David Moore. I just don't know that he's done enough to actually warrant a 53 man roster spot at this point. He seems highly likely to me at this point to be in the position Kasen Williams was -- to get cut ... end up on the Practice Squad ... get some experience ... and try it again next year.

4. Amara Darboh -- just hasn't shown much of anything this whole training camp and preseason. I hate to say it, but think he gets cut. I HOPE he makes the practice squad, but just don't know at this point.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Darboh is this year's Collins.

A guy drafted in the early middle rounds that we insist would never make the practice squad even though middle of the road RBs and WRs are a dime a dozen.

He may very well end up being kept but he isn't going to do much for some time. And like Collins, he will likely end up taking valuable roster space that ends up losing us games, as the choice of Collins vs. Pope resulted in.

(One a side note: some of you are confused why Pope was important. It was wasn't that he was going to be a stud - it was that he was decent at things that we should have known we were going to need for that season. Cutting him meant we had no returner and we were going to be screwed when an injured Rawls couldn't not come back in time and since he ended up being rushed back he never fully healed and produced at 100%. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED. And the lack of returner and RB cost us at least 2 games, to the point we literally had guys like Sherman and Earl in there trying to return kicks....ugh. As it was, Collings helped in one game but otherwise never made up for the multiple games keeping him instead of a viable returner/backup RB screwed us.)

As for Williams, one has to wonder why we kept running plays for 11 (Lawler?) when he was out there. He wasn't getting open either and they kept throwing him the ball. The ball that Williams did get thrown to him was way behind him.

I get Lawler bulked up a bit, but size wise he isn't special, hands are pretty average and he isn't exactly showing track star speed on the field.

I have a feeling we are going to make a dumb decision with Williams just like we did with Collins and likely Procise, but one can only hope they figure it out. Keeping Darboh would be stupid - he is PS material right now.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Why keep injured Paul and not getting it done Darby over players who are getting the job done on the field? What has happened to always comPete?

Josea16

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":13gw0e5s said:
Darboh is this year's Collins.

A guy drafted in the early middle rounds that we insist would never make the practice squad even though middle of the road RBs and WRs are a dime a dozen.

He may very well end up being kept but he isn't going to do much for some time. And like Collins, he will likely end up taking valuable roster space that ends up losing us games, as the choice of Collins vs. Pope resulted in.

(One a side note: some of you are confused why Pope was important. It was wasn't that he was going to be a stud - it was that he was decent at things that we should have known we were going to need for that season. Cutting him meant we had no returner and we were going to be screwed when an injured Rawls couldn't not come back in time and since he ended up being rushed back he never fully healed and produced at 100%. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED. And the lack of returner and RB cost us at least 2 games, to the point we literally had guys like Sherman and Earl in there trying to return kicks....ugh. As it was, Collings helped in one game but otherwise never made up for the multiple games keeping him instead of a viable returner/backup RB screwed us.)

As for Williams, one has to wonder why we kept running plays for 11 (Lawler?) when he was out there. He wasn't getting open either and they kept throwing him the ball. The ball that Williams did get thrown to him was way behind him.

I get Lawler bulked up a bit, but size wise he isn't special, hands are pretty average and he isn't exactly showing track star speed on the field.

I have a feeling we are going to make a dumb decision with Williams just like we did with Collins and likely Procise, but one can only hope they figure it out. Keeping Darboh would be stupid - he is PS material right now.
We are talking about the same Pope with 12 carries 44 yards for 3.7 ypc? That doesn't say stud to me.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Someone still trying to defend the pre-season wonder that was Pope? The guy who went on injured reserve after a stunning 4 game campaign where he amassed a total of 44 yards on 12 carries for 3.7 YPC? :lol:

When Collins was featured, at the end of the year, he amassed 5.05 YPC on 21 carries and 7 yards per catch. Collins had carries in 9 games. He's been a steady, dependable backup.

If we are arguing that Collins should be cut, Pope shouldn't even be in the conversation

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I'm sure there will be some "injurys" (wink, wink, nudge nudge) to some young RB's or young WR's.
Plus the real legit injuries that happen and the ones that will exaggerated.