Preach it Danny O'Neill!

sam1313

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":l3aib8lk said:
Sealake80":l3aib8lk said:
I bet you the line is a little better this year on O.

I don't think it could possibly be worse, so you're right there.

I love the way Pete and John draft and develop players...................in every position OTHER THAN O-LINE. There is now a long history of philosophical failure at that position, yet it seems we continue to in the direction of hybrid athletic O-linemen that Pete trusts Cable to whip into shape into some cohesive unit.

It worked in the beginning because the line was already stabilized with great lineman like Unger and Okung, but it's been a slow decline into the worst O-line in the entire league.

While I agree with you regarding the fact that Pete and John have drafted and developed well at every position but OL, but doesn't the drafting of Pocic show that we aren't totally going in the direction of "hybrid athletic O-linemen"? While Pocic apparently can plan any position on the OL (as I think every O-lineman should be able to do), he is far from taking a flyer on Sweezy or Sokeil (or however you spell his name). To me, Pocic (and maybe even Ifedi) show some more conventional thought being placed in the OL during the last two drafts.

I also agree with you that Unger and Okung helped stabilize some of our prior OLs, which imho have been mostly crap since Cable arrived and have only looked legit on paper due to RW and Lynch.

sam1313

Reaction score
scutterhawk":xob4px4r said:
nash72":xob4px4r said:
scutterhawk":xob4px4r said:
Everybody was Okie Dokie with Pete Carroll's two prong attack, and Tom Cable's O-line was opening holes for the 'BEAST' to run thru.

Lynch led the league in yardage after contact. He was as much a part of his success as the line.
He certainly did, but you have to acknowledge that he did NOT do it all by himself.... The O-Line was DESIGNED around Lynch's particular skillset, and on many occasions it was their blocking that helped by opening up some of the holes for him to get a head of steam up, and it was that momentum that helped him get a lot of those "Yards After Contact".
Just review the Beast-Quake play against NO, hell, even the Quarterback got involved in blocking down field for him.
He had some fantastic runs, but not every single one of them were of his own doing, or he'd have done it while playing for the Bills, and we'd have played hell wresting him away from them.
Just admitting that Lynch had success, points to what I've been saying about the deficiency of not having a run game to HELP take pressure off of Russell Wilson AND the O-Line.
Everybody says that RW is hanging onto the ball for too long, and should just get rid of it... (That certainly would help an anemic Pass Pro O-Line) Having a successful Run game (set up with some decent Run blocking scheme, would be another way to keep drives alive.
Old saying..."The Run Set's Up The Pass", "And The Pass Sets Up The Run"...It worked to perfection with having a monster run game (to which Wilson had nearly 600 yards in one Season)...Run Blocking attributed to MANY of those yards.

I can't agree with this. Lynch was an amazing talent, and while the team's philosophy of everyone blocking for a run certainly helped Lynch in situations, the OL hindered him as much as it helped. Watch Lynch go off this year for the Raiders - that will show just how good he could have been if we had a good offensive line (and he will be doing it at an age where most backs begin to lose their effectiveness).

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Cant remember where I heard it but Cable is actually on the hot seat and if the line doesn't improve significantly he will be gone next year.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":23p6jgyf said:
Cant remember where I heard it but Cable is actually on the hot seat and if the line doesn't improve significantly he will be gone next year.

We can only hope that is true but I highly doubt. He shouldn't even be there now but somehow he still is. The only way to remove a problem is to get rid of its source. I hope this doesn't turn out to be another wasted year of OL tinkering as the past few have been but history seems to repeat in that area.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":7kwrnhr8 said:

I suspect what you heard was "speculation". Might well have been passed off as real news, such is the state of news media today.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Drama town.

How about giving the guy a chance before he, oh I don't know PLAYS A DOWN IN THE NFL??? :2thumbs:

sdog1981

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":25ntztk0 said:
Drama town.

How about giving the guy a chance before he, oh I don't know PLAYS A DOWN IN THE NFL??? :2thumbs:

This is not about one player. This is about the other 99 players that have not panned out.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Right, because the Hawks have done such a horrible job under PC and JS. :2thumbs:

Negativity is a choice, have at it. We all look at it our own way.

Smellyman

Reaction score
sam1313":xekwvcqm said:
scutterhawk":xekwvcqm said:
nash72":xekwvcqm said:
scutterhawk":xekwvcqm said:
Everybody was Okie Dokie with Pete Carroll's two prong attack, and Tom Cable's O-line was opening holes for the 'BEAST' to run thru.

Lynch led the league in yardage after contact. He was as much a part of his success as the line.
He certainly did, but you have to acknowledge that he did NOT do it all by himself.... The O-Line was DESIGNED around Lynch's particular skillset, and on many occasions it was their blocking that helped by opening up some of the holes for him to get a head of steam up, and it was that momentum that helped him get a lot of those "Yards After Contact".
Just review the Beast-Quake play against NO, hell, even the Quarterback got involved in blocking down field for him.
He had some fantastic runs, but not every single one of them were of his own doing, or he'd have done it while playing for the Bills, and we'd have played hell wresting him away from them.
Just admitting that Lynch had success, points to what I've been saying about the deficiency of not having a run game to HELP take pressure off of Russell Wilson AND the O-Line.
Everybody says that RW is hanging onto the ball for too long, and should just get rid of it... (That certainly would help an anemic Pass Pro O-Line) Having a successful Run game (set up with some decent Run blocking scheme, would be another way to keep drives alive.
Old saying..."The Run Set's Up The Pass", "And The Pass Sets Up The Run"...It worked to perfection with having a monster run game (to which Wilson had nearly 600 yards in one Season)...Run Blocking attributed to MANY of those yards.

I can't agree with this. Lynch was an amazing talent, and while the team's philosophy of everyone blocking for a run certainly helped Lynch in situations, the OL hindered him as much as it helped. Watch Lynch go off this year for the Raiders - that will show just how good he could have been if we had a good offensive line (and he will be doing it at an age where most backs begin to lose their effectiveness).

Not to mention the Russell Wilson factor

sdog1981

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3mfo4f29 said:
Right, because the Hawks have done such a horrible job under PC and JS. :2thumbs:

Negativity is a choice, have at it. We all look at it our own way.

This topic is about the Oline only and regards to that it has been an absolute dumpster fire.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":21n1oman said:

I defend Cable, he's not a miracle worker.......and IMO too much has been put on him by Pete and John the past couple of years.

Two years ago he was a miracle worker and whipped a really bad line into an above average unit that started rolling at the end of the year with the emergence of Rawls and a healthy Wilson.

Last year it was the perfect storm of ineffectiveness.

- Wilson hurt from game #1
- Every RB injured
- awful lineman to work with

And low and behold, terrible line play.

To me Cable is still a very good line coach, and has shown the ability to get a lot from his players. But he needs something to work with, and more importantly a healthy Wilson and RB core.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":194k5v6a said:
I defend Cable, he's not a miracle worker.......and IMO too much has been put on him by Pete and John the past couple of years.

Tom Cable has had 7 draft pick in the first three rounds of the draft and he has done nothing with them. Not only that he has now had over 16 draft picks to work with and had done nothing with that too. The team has also brought in over 50 free agents during his time here and he has done nothing with them. Please tell me the one time Tom Cable was not fired in less than four years before he got to the Seahawks?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Cable

http://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-seahaw ... since-2010

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Smellyman":32jxniwq said:
sam1313":32jxniwq said:

Not to mention the Russell Wilson factor

The "Russell Wilson Factor"...Exactly. 8)
I don't disagree with most of your assessment of Lynch, as he is...was an "Amazing Talent", BUT, so is...was Russell Wilson, that in fact is...was my whole point, It's suppose to be a 'Tandem assault', a 'Two Pronged Attack'...a 'PICK YOUR POISON'
Oh and, the OL hindrance?......MANY times when Lynch was grinding for MORE yards, it was the "Hindering OL" that was PUSHING him from behind, and helping him to get SOME of those --> "Yards After Contact"

hawkfan68

Reaction score
sdog1981":1noumv69 said:
Sgt. Largent":1noumv69 said:

Tom Cable has had 7 draft pick in the first three rounds of the draft and he has done nothing with them. Not only that he has now had over 16 draft picks to work with and had done nothing with that too. The team has also brought in over 50 free agents during his time here and he has done nothing with them. Please tell me the one time Tom Cable was not fired in less than four years before he got to the Seahawks?

:ditto:

Really only Britt and Sweezy are Cable's successes (if you want to call it that). Britt was regressing under Cable too until he got moved to center.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
sdog1981":eilg3lmm said:
Sgt. Largent":eilg3lmm said:

7 picks in the first three rounds in 7 years? That's a terrible percentage of high picks dedicated to the O-line, my guess would be at the rock bottom of the league in high picks on the O-line.

Cable is not without blame, that's not what I'm saying. Some of our picks have been "Cable guys" that he's had a hand in drafting and acquiring. So he's certainly culpable.

But C'mon, it's clearly evident that our FO's philosophy since Pete and John got here is to spend cap space in every other aspect of the team EXCEPT O-line hoping that Cable can make chicken salad out of chicken crap.

And for 6 of those 7 years we've been one of the top running teams, which is Cable's specialty, zone blocking scheme.

So if we're handing out blame game percentage, I'd put Pete and John far ahead of Cable when it comes to why our O-line stinks. Vince Lombardi himself couldn't have made that line play well last year.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yet look how many people were on Russell's case last year. Behind THAT swiss cheese o-line.
Def. not their strong suit it seems overall, so I get the concern.

Vpk0718

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":3j0qtvc4 said:

Just like the Mariners FO with Bavasi and Z. Waiting way too long to make the firing that should have happened years ago. All these wasted seasons that we could have won a championship with even a mediocre offensive line.

Always compete! Unless you're a coach then you get a free ride for years.