Preseason game 1 standouts.

SkyHawks16

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1fgn7vtq said:
MontanaHawk05":1fgn7vtq said:
hawker84":1fgn7vtq said:
Everyone mentioned above. But I want to touch more on RW. It was so nice to see him with an actual pocket and time to survey the field.

He's had that time much more often than anyone gives him credit for. Problem is, he runs before pressure arrives. It looks like Schotty's insistence on him taking one more second before running, has been getting through.
This is what I keep saying. A net result is that Russ was getting rid of the ball much quicker. The line was blocking good, but one thing that must be mentioned is that they didn't have to hold onto the ball as long, and that Wilson was actually doing a good job manipulating the blockers. Russ holds the ball longer than any other QB in the NFL, consistently. I really liked the new Russ I saw last night.
:sarcasm_on:

truehawksfan

Reaction score
I think the 2017 draft class looked good. How about the 2016 class?

The good
-Pocic: Overall, the first team OLine looked good, including Pocic. A promising start.
-Quil Griffin: Everyone's really excited and his bro, but Two-Six looked good & comfortable in Sherm's old spot.
-T2: Didn't notice him. But, that's good since he didn't allow any receivers run by him.
-David Moore: Made a nice catch from Austin Davis. The only deep ball from a receiver.
-Chris Carson: Possibly the best under the radar RB in the league. No one outside of Seattle is saying anything about him.
-Naz Jones: While he didn't play, we know he'll contribute.

Jury still out
-Delano Hill: The only play I remember is his missed tackle on a critical 3rd down late in the game.
-Amara Darboh: I hope he's not Prosise 2.0. Always hurt.
-Mike Tyson. The only reason why I noticed him is because he's wearing Beastmodes number and I kept asking myself shouldn't we retire number 24?

Overall, the 2017 & 2016 draft classes are looking really good.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
My Kasen Williams prospect award goes to CB Akeem King.

He looked good in the mock game as well as the Colts game, but he did this against players who may not make the Colts 53.

I don't know what his arm length is, but he's listed at 6-1 212 so he meets the height/weight requirements. I'd like to see him play early in games, perhaps opposite Flowers and see if he's legit.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1nmva5b8 said:
MontanaHawk05":1nmva5b8 said:
hawker84":1nmva5b8 said:
Everyone mentioned above. But I want to touch more on RW. It was so nice to see him with an actual pocket and time to survey the field.

He's had that time much more often than anyone gives him credit for. Problem is, he runs before pressure arrives. It looks like Schotty's insistence on him taking one more second before running, has been getting through.
This is what I keep saying. A net result is that Russ was getting rid of the ball much quicker. The line was blocking good, but one thing that must be mentioned is that they didn't have to hold onto the ball as long, and that Wilson was actually doing a good job manipulating the blockers. Russ holds the ball longer than any other QB in the NFL, consistently. I really liked the new Russ I saw last night.

This is beating a dead horse at this point. People are seeing what they want to see.

What I saw Thursday night was something that looked like Aaron Rodger’s offense. He gets protection, rolls out, then fires a rocket. There’s a big difference in bailing the pocket for a better play, and bailing the pocket because you can’t trust your O-line. And being unable to trust your line, because you’re not consistently protected.

Unless you’re both claiming Cable was a good coach, it is quite frankly silly to pretend as if the addition of Dissly, a healthy Brown, and better coaching has made zero difference. And that the only difference is that a 6 year veteran is now a “New” quarterback. I love my fellow Hawks fans, but stubborness is not the way to properly debate this. Protection has improved, and Russ’s trust in protection has improved. That’s okay to admit

Either way, I guess I should just brace myself for the inevitable hot takes from the Pete Prisco’s of the world to claim that Schotty has “Fixed” Russell and made him a proper QB. When in reality Schotty has the best Qb he’s ever worked with

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I was surprised Ivie got as much playing time as he did. He played well. Queem Griffin will be a starter by the end of season. They’ll find a way to get him on the field. I think he’ll take over Mingo’s starting spot eventually.

Interesting that Poona Ford didn’t play much, if any at all. I didn’t notice him on any plays.

chris98251

Reaction score
If you noticed the route trees were layered and Wilson looking at primary and then check downs and getting ball out on time. The protection was better play to play then I remember seeing all of last year as well. Those two things are Schotty's and Solari's influence out of the gate.

They should only get better I would think, there will be a step back to be sure once regular season starts and the speed ramps up another notch and your dealing with 1's across the board, but the foundation will have been installed.

TreeRon

Reaction score
"nteresting that Poona Ford didn’t play much, if any at all. I didn’t notice him on any plays."
I thought he played quite a few plays and he was double teamed on a few occasions which is partly his job (to occupy blockers).

chris98251

Reaction score
TreeRon":1l0z4kiz said:
"nteresting that Poona Ford didn’t play much, if any at all. I didn’t notice him on any plays."
I thought he played quite a few plays and he was double teamed on a few occasions which is partly his job (to occupy blockers).

Agreed he is not going to get flash stats necessarily if he is doing his job, the pass rush does that from him occupieing two guys and creating a unbalance on the line and a open guy for a back to try and pick up or the TE.

Tical21

Reaction score
I'll second Akeem King, and wouldn't be surprised if he gets shots at RCB and/or nickel to give him a shot to make the team.

Fade

Reaction score
truehawksfan":6obavoin said:
I think the 2017 draft class looked good. How about the 2016 class?

The good
-Pocic: Overall, the first team OLine looked good, including Pocic. A promising start.
-Quil Griffin: Everyone's really excited and his bro, but Two-Six looked good & comfortable in Sherm's old spot.
-T2: Didn't notice him. But, that's good since he didn't allow any receivers run by him.
-David Moore: Made a nice catch from Austin Davis. The only deep ball from a receiver.
-Chris Carson: Possibly the best under the radar RB in the league. No one outside of Seattle is saying anything about him.
-Naz Jones: While he didn't play, we know he'll contribute.

Jury still out
-Delano Hill: The only play I remember is his missed tackle on a critical 3rd down late in the game.
-Amara Darboh: I hope he's not Prosise 2.0. Always hurt.
-Mike Tyson. The only reason why I noticed him is because he's wearing Beastmodes number and I kept asking myself shouldn't we retire number 24?

Overall, the 2017 & 2016 draft classes are looking really good.

You're a year off buddy.

2016 Class

Germaine Ifedi
Jarran Reed
CJ Prosise
Nick Vannett
Rees Odhiambo
Quinton Jefferson
Alex Collins
Joey Hunt
Kenny Lawler
Zac Brooks

MagnificentSeven

Reaction score
Fade":37i0l5gi said:
You're a year off buddy.

2016 Class

Germaine Ifedi
Jarran Reed
CJ Prosise
Nick Vannett
Rees Odhiambo
Quinton Jefferson
Alex Collins
Joey Hunt
Kenny Lawler
Zac Brooks

So, Ifedi, if his head is screwed on straight finally, should be a starter.

Reed, Vannett, and possibly Jefferson (who looked real good last night) are also Starters.

Odihambo and Hunt are serviceable back-ups, and Alex Collins is a starter for Baltimore.

That's way more hits than misses, maybe not a dismal Draft afterall?

Fade

Reaction score
MagnificentSeven":13xm9rdq said:
Fade":13xm9rdq said:
You're a year off buddy.

2016 Class

Germaine Ifedi
Jarran Reed
CJ Prosise
Nick Vannett
Rees Odhiambo
Quinton Jefferson
Alex Collins
Joey Hunt
Kenny Lawler
Zac Brooks

So, Ifedi, if his head is screwed on straight finally, should be a starter.

Reed, Vannett, and possibly Jefferson (who looked real good last night) are also Starters.

Odihambo and Hunt are serviceable back-ups, and Alex Collins is a starter for Baltimore.

That's way more hits than misses, maybe not a dismal Draft afterall?

The Seahawks have been drafting fine, for the most part. CABEVELL were sabotaging their drafts though. If you look at most of the "busts" they were offensive players. Especially Offensive Lineman. The only major swing & miss on defense was Malik McDowell. They didn't miss on his talent though. They rolled the dice and came up snake eyes unfortunately.

2013 was bad. 14 was okay. 15 was okay. 16 was good. 17 was good. 18 is looking outstanding in the early going.

nrayorr

Reaction score
My take away was the 1's. All in all they did a great job. I don't care how the blocking came to be whether it was with an improved oline, better blocking TE's, etc. I'm just glad to see RW getting some time to survey the field.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Russ was locked in as usual, and clearly didn't look "fat" or "slow"
But I loved what I saw out of Dissly and the O Line opened some holes. The running backs looked aggressive too.
And Shaquem Griffen was all over the field. At one point, making 4 straight tackles. Love watching him play. Clearly has a passion for it. That wasn't some feel good signing only, he's just a really good football player.
Also, considering that Tre Flowers has been a safety, he looked like he has some serious potential as a corner. Impressive being that this is all new for him.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Scorpion05":2zhfay5u said:
Spin Doctor":2zhfay5u said:
MontanaHawk05":2zhfay5u said:
hawker84":2zhfay5u said:

This is beating a dead horse at this point. People are seeing what they want to see.

What I saw Thursday night was something that looked like Aaron Rodger’s offense. He gets protection, rolls out, then fires a rocket. There’s a big difference in bailing the pocket for a better play, and bailing the pocket because you can’t trust your O-line. And being unable to trust your line, because you’re not consistently protected.

Unless you’re both claiming Cable was a good coach, it is quite frankly silly to pretend as if the addition of Dissly, a healthy Brown, and better coaching has made zero difference. And that the only difference is that a 6 year veteran is now a “New” quarterback. I love my fellow Hawks fans, but stubborness is not the way to properly debate this. Protection has improved, and Russ’s trust in protection has improved. That’s okay to admit

Either way, I guess I should just brace myself for the inevitable hot takes from the Pete Prisco’s of the world to claim that Schotty has “Fixed” Russell and made him a proper QB. When in reality Schotty has the best Qb he’s ever worked with

I know what I've seen on tape. Wilson bails from clean pockets regularly. NOT every play, certainly, and I'm not suggesting Cable wasn't part of the problem.

But it's already been statistically established that Wilson is top 3 at holding onto the ball in the NFL. With bad pass protection, that wouldn't be possible. So it's pretty clear he's bailing. For every example of Ifedi getting beat (and there are plenty), the tape shows an example where Wilson runs right past Ifedi and into the path of whomever he's blocking.

People are programmed to assume bad pass pro whenever a QB scrambles, and announcers help by making bad calls all the time. It's just what it is. Schotty is now fixing that part of Wilson, while Solari is fixing the OL side. Both have been an issue.