Prospects I was wrong about

Happy

Reaction score
I was a gabbert nuthugger. I went and saw him at Jaguars TC in his rookie year and he threw a really pretty ball. Way more arm talent than David Garrard, the difference was clear even to a schmo sitting in the bleachers. Plus he looked the part. I thought he was gonna be really good.

Then he took the red jersey off and well, we all know what's up with that. Although some are still holding out hope his testes will finally drop I guess.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
In 2009 I hoped we'd avoid:

1. Brian Orakpo
2. Percy Harvin
3. James Laurinaitis
4. Max Unger

Guys I was high on:

BJ Raji
Michael Crabtree
Clay Matthews

Really wanted us to trade down and get Alex Mack. I even mentioned at the time that the Browns had the draft I wished Seattle had.

2010:

Nay:

1. Trent Williams
2. Joe Haden
3. Dez Bryant
4. CJ Spiller
5. Derrick Morgan

Yay:

1. Eric Berry
2. Russell Okung
3. Mike Iupati
4. Bryan Bulaga
5. Arrelious Benn
6. Taylor Mays
7. Kam Chancellor

2011:

No:

1. JJ Watt
2. Aldon Smith
3. Robert Quinn
4. Ryan Kerrigan
5. Gabe Carimi
6. Christian Ponder

Yes:

1. Julio Jones
2. Corey Liuget
3. Phil Taylor
4. Muhammad Wilkerson
5. Jabaal Sheard
6. Nick Fairley
7. Rodney Hudson

2012:

No:

1. Morris Claiborne
2. Michael Floyd
3. Quinton Coples
4. Whitney Mercilus
5. Andre Branch
6. Bruce Irvin
7. Zach Brown

Yes:

1. Fletcher Cox
2. Luke Kuechly
3. Shea McClellin
4. Demario Davis
5. Kendall Reyes
4. Mychal Kendricks

Lots of hits/misses. Looking back, it really looks like I just don't see DE talent very well. Much better on DTs. I really didn't like the Irvin pick and I'm pretty sure I still have some residual bitterness over that. Particularly since Cox was the one player in the draft I thought fit our need the best and he fell out of the top 10, as if by the hand of God himself. And then we traded out, and Philly took him with our pick. Then to get Irvin who I didn't even really want in round 2. I'm surprised my TV survived that draft pick.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Mtjhoyas":3eejwyy0 said:
Regarding Andy Dalton:

He's been better than I ever imagined he would be, but I'd caution that he's really close to the Coach Killing QB Zone. What does this mean?

I read a series of great tweets from a football guy on Twitter who was talking about how a team having an average QB is actually much worse than a team with a terrible QB. With a terrible QB, you know that you need an upgrade and are not unwilling to make a move/take a risk when needed.

With an average QB, you are always waiting for them "to break through." More often than not, that QB never "breaks through," meaning you have spent a lot of time/money on a QB who is nothing but average. Can you win a SB with an average QB? Sure, but it takes a pretty dominant team at every other position to do it. Your margin of error is much smaller.

I'm not saying that an average QB is worse than a terrible QB. Not one bit. But, for the goal of winning a Super Bowl, an average QB can kill you because you are less inclined to make a move to upgrade the position for fear that "it could be worse." It's tantamount to having a decent paying job, that you don't love or hate. You are less motivated to take a risk for something better because your current situation is "good enough."

I know this is an odd concept, but as soon as I started thinking about it in terms I can relate to (personal experience), I think it makes tremendous sense.

I agree with this logic 110%, but early last season Andy Dalton really did look like a lower-tier franchise QB. It didn't last and he regressed pretty badly in the second half of the year, but for a brief time, it looked like Cincy really had something on their hands. I see plenty of room for improvement with Dalton, whereas with Bradford I see a polished QB who is just thoroughly mediocre- the John Moffitt of QBs. Bradford is a weight around the Rams neck, and Dalton might be for his team as well, but Dalton is much better than I thought he'd be and until his late season slump he was on a very good career trajectory.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":xooy9y6o said:
I thought Jonathan Dwyer was going to be incredible. Pfffttt.

I wasn't in the Dwyer fan club. He was big, fast, and explosive alright, but stiff as a manikin. David Wilson was a similar story. I hated David Wilson and was paranoid that we'd draft him. I jumped out of my chair and cheered when the Giants reached for him.

ChrisB Bacon

Reaction score
kearly":1yaj0ore said:
I agree with this logic 110%, but early last season Andy Dalton really did look like a lower-tier franchise QB. It didn't last and he regressed pretty badly in the second half of the year, but for a brief time, it looked like Cincy really had something on their hands. I see plenty of room for improvement with Dalton, whereas with Bradford I see a polished QB who is just thoroughly mediocre- the John Moffitt of QBs. Bradford is a weight around the Rams neck, and Dalton might be for his team as well, but Dalton is much better than I thought he'd be and until his late season slump he was on a very good career trajectory.
Sounds like exactly what he was describing in his coach killing QB theory, haha.

Always thinking he can, or has, turned the corner...