Rob Rang's Top 100 Draft Prospects

ivotuk

Reaction score
2023 NFL Draft prospect rankings: 100 best available players

With the 2023 NFL Draft approaching, 95% of the evaluations are complete.

After 20 years of scouting, I’ve learned better than to significantly adjust my rankings of football players based on the workouts conducted since the season began. Terrific workouts are the expectation of the best players in the draft, after all. Disappointing results, however, are a red flag and led to some big drops on my last update.

7. Lukas Van Ness, DL, Iowa, 6-4, 275, Redshirt Sophomore

In one of the more interesting subplots of the entire 2023 NFL draft, Van Ness opted to declare early for the draft despite never starting a single game for the Hawkeyes. Van Ness reportedly received a first-round grade from the NFL Advisory Committee before doing so, and the flashes are so bright and consistent on tape that I believe his stock will rise all the way into the top 10.

34. Keeanu Benton, DT, Wisconsin, 6-4, 312, Senior

Arguably this year's "biggest" winner from the Senior Bowl, Benton showed off surprising quickness and balance as a rusher, complementing the power he showed as a run-stuffing nose guard for the Badgers.

45. Mazi Smith, DT, Michigan, 6-2, 337, Junior

The exact opposite of McDonald, Smith is a classic run-stuffer on the inside who dropped jaws during workouts with his raw athleticism.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Rang has Will McDonald IV of Iowa state at #44 on his board. That seems to be a consensus view, among the scouting services. Yes, it's Rang's "player ranking" not a "mock draft" Rang is putting out, so team needs and position values are weighted differently than an actual draft. McDonald's stock has risen in some views, into mid-first round. Will be very interesting to see where McDonald goes. I've also heard the Seahawks are very interested in Lukas Van Ness, who Rang lists at #7. I'm a big Bijian Robinson fan for the Seahawks, as I've expressed in other threads, IF the Seahawks can get him while still bolstering the front 7 and IOL. Robinson is listed at #5 in Rang's list.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Van Ness is one of my favorite players in the draft I expect him to go top 10 I would not be disappointed if Hawks take him at 5.

when you hear of players either going up or down the draft boards its usually where NFL GMs have had the players all along it’s just the sports media catching up