Punting...

W

Welshers

Down 10 with 6 minutes to go with one timeout left when your run defense has been atrocious. That was a shocking decision to me. I love Pete Carroll and will always be one of his staunchest defenders. What he has done with this team this year has been nothing short of amazing. BUT that was an absolutely tone deaf punt. Felt like giving up. They just ran it right down the field anyway. At least try to win the freaking game!

Fade

Reaction score
Par for the course. He's always done this. Doesn't trust his O. Always believes in his D no matter how bad they play.

For a coach who preaches defense and running the ball, his team's are sure terrible at it.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
This was a bad decision by Pete but it definitely was a Pete move. He has always punted in that position.

Didn’t make a ton of sense to punt and let them run out the clock down two scores.

cymatica

Reaction score
Absolutely no excuse, even if it is a typical Pete move. He has to understand his defense couldn't not stop the run all game, and he had 1 timeout after he waisted 2 of them. There is literally no logical reasoning for punting, none. Zero situational awareness. All it did was allow Carolina to bleed 4 minutes off the clock getting into fg range.

Dumbest decision of the year award goes to Pete

OP
OP
W

Welshers

I turned it off after that punt. I'm not watching the team just basically give up.
Me too, and I rarely ever turn off Hawks games. But punting there felt exactly like giving up.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I'm more upset at our wasting two timeouts in the second half, one on offense when it was 2nd and 10 at our own 4 that saved us all of 2 yards and another on an unsuccessful challenge where there was no obvious visual evidence and wouldn't have forced them to punt if it were successful than I was a decision to punt on 4th and 8 on our own 27.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, that was next level stupid. Especially when you flat out can't stop the run, let alone pretty much anything the Panthers were doing on offense. In fact, the Hawks got extremely lucky when the Panthers tried 4 PASSES inside the five. That would have been an easy TD drive if they just keep running it.
And I'm sure people will get their feelings hurt, but Geno looked HORRIBLE yesterday. And he is throwing in to coverage more and more lately. I know what my eyes tell me.

cymatica

Reaction score
Yeah, that was next level stupid. Especially when you flat out can't stop the run, let alone pretty much anything the Panthers were doing on offense. In fact, the Hawks got extremely lucky when the Panthers tried 4 PASSES inside the five. That would have been an easy TD drive if they just keep running it.
And I'm sure people will get their feelings hurt, but Geno looked HORRIBLE yesterday. And he is throwing in to coverage more and more lately. I know what my eyes tell me.
He probably feels like he has no choice but to make tight window throws, and I can't blame him. No running game and no defense.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Very true. And I don't know what the heck Geno was doing when he assumed that the defense had jumped offsides. When that happens, the refs launch their flag so it looks like a parachute so everyone in the stadium knows that it's a free play. And like you said, Geno got away with a couple of bad passes that could easily have resulted in interceptions by throwing into tight windows, something he's doing more and more of.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt. Just because you THINK it's a free play, don't just throw it up for grabs.
I know it sounds like I hate the guy, I don't at all. I just am seeing a guy who looks like he's reverting back to some legit old habits. Hopefully he can lock back in.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I'm more upset at our wasting two timeouts in the second half, one on offense when it was 2nd and 10 at our own 4 that saved us all of 2 yards and another on an unsuccessful challenge where there was no obvious visual evidence and wouldn't have forced them to punt if it were successful than I was a decision to punt on 4th and 8 on our own 27.

I was actually afraid he was going to burn another challenge on the one that Shenault grabbed low. I think that would be vintage Pete to burn both challenges unsuccessfully on the same series

RiverDog

Reaction score
A couple of things about the challenges. Pete is 0-5 in challenges this season, so he's not getting very good advice about them. In addition, I don't think he's doing a very good risk/benefit assessment. There wouldn't have been that much to gain by having that pass ruled incomplete as it was 2nd down and would have made it 3rd and 9, still a very makable proposition for an opponent. Had it been a 3rd down play or one that gained 25 yards or so, then it would have been worth the risk. You also have to consider if it were the first half or the second. Timeouts in the first half aren't nearly as valuable as those in the second, especially being behind in a close game.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
Geno did not look good, but he did not look horrible. Geno's QBR was only slightly higher than RW's season QBR, so yeah, I'll agree it was a bad day for Geno.

I think your "eyes" and judgment are clouded by emotion. Before the season started you were blasting Geno (or GeNo as you called him) in almost every thread. On the other hand, for years you attacked anyone who brought up any of RW's deficiencies, you defended RW through horrible performances. When posters brought up legitimate weaknesses in RW's play you accused them of hating on RW. Even now that RW is gone, you jump into every RW thread to tell everyone to leave him alone or get over it or move on. Yet when Geno has a down game you are quick to call Geno out.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Par for the course. He's always done this. Doesn't trust his O. Always believes in his D no matter how bad they play.

For a coach who preaches defense and running the ball, his team's are sure terrible at it.

I saw a tweet that FieldGulls referenced that said the 2022 Seahawks have the second-worst run defense since 2010. The only team worse in that time span is this year's Texans.

That means we're effectively ranked 383 out of 384 teams.

This team's run defense is historically bad.