Putting the shutout in perspective

aawolf

Reaction score
c_hawkbob":1cbx08m9 said:
Seahawk Sailor":1cbx08m9 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/thekapman/status/648324816529965056[/tweet]

:shock:
THAT is perspective!

This was not just a win. To view it as though it were the same as any other expected win is to ignore an historic defensive performance:

The only team in the last 35 seasons to punt on every possession in a game!

And I don't care that The Bears were not at full strength, it's not as though that has never happened in the last 35 years in the NFL.

Our Offense was good enough.

Our Special Teams were very special.

Our defense was EPIC!

Recognize.

Happy for the win, but I hope that the team isn't breaking their hands patting themselves on the back. They were up against literally the worst QB I've ever seen start an NFL game in Jimmy Clausen. I watched him start several games for the Panthers back when they went 1-15. That he was only able to muster 65 passing yards in this game was no surprise to me. Jon Fox, who coached the Panthers back then, probably just put Clausen on the roster to quell the QB controversy in Chicago and make them grateful to have Cutler. That's the only reason why Clausen could possibly be on an NFL roster IMO.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
That's really not the way this team is run. Pete does a very good job of sticking to the 1 game at a time thing. Plus, the way they play on prime time, they'll be plenty ready to roll.

mistaowen

Reaction score
marko358":1fqjhgow said:
themunn":1fqjhgow said:
My only disappointment so far is that we're now 3 games in without a single interception, tied for dead last (obviously) in the league alongside Washington and NO.

This was our first game with our full LOB intact and the Bears had like 5 pass attempts yesterday. I expect the interceptions to start coming.

Aside from the occasional play, teams haven't been throwing deep on us. Rodgers only really did when it was a free play. Foles had that one beauty in OT against Sherm (I don't count the one where Bailey slipped). Brady threw about 600 quick passes in the Superbowl. Everything is short-medium safe passes. I was surprised on the one Clausen uncorked yesterday cause everything else was 100% check down or nothing.

I mentioned in the gameday thread it would be surprising if Clausen were to throw 10 total passes yesterday. Fox's gameplan was completely content only running the ball then punting if it didn't work to just get out of there. It was obvious they had no intent adjusting to win the game.

This week will be interesting. Stafford has no problem letting the ball fly anywhere on the field. We should see a decent amount of chances for interceptions I think.

*Also, good post Sailor*

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
As long as this regime is running the club, the offense will always start slow, and that's not a criticism. No need to be on your game 100% of the game when you have one of the best defenses in the league.

PC preaches FINISH all the time, which usually means it will take a little time to get the offense into rhythm.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
themunn":36jd95z9 said:
My only disappointment so far is that we're now 3 games in without a single interception, tied for dead last (obviously) in the league alongside Washington and NO. Alongside that we're also dead last in passes defensed, although granted we're also tied for last alongside the Bears in pass attempts faced (among teams that have played 3 games). It's good that we're not facing all that many attempts - but we've also allowed 12 passing plays of 20+ yards (albeit, I think all of those were in the first two games) in just 77 attempts.

Two words: Dion Bailey

Willyeye

Reaction score
hawker84":2hwy4wu1 said:
I was happy with the defensive effort as well for the most part, a shut out against any NFL opponent is impressive indeed, but I'm curious to know what Forte's average was. Seems like he was ripping off 4, 5 yards every carry. This has been done to us by Cunningham in STL, and Starks in GB as well in the first two weeks, in which neither team has a top tier O line, and now by Chicago, who's line is subpar.. Would like to see the D line play the run a little better moving forward.. I guess I'm just not seeing that attacking ball hawking defense I've been accustomed to over the last 3 years? Really liking what I'm seeing from Hill, seems like the run defense got better with him in there. Now with the injury to Mebane, we're going to need him to play like that week in and week out.

Forte rushed for 74 yards on 20 carries for an average of 3.7 YPC. In total, the Bears ran for 98 yards on 27 carries for 3.6 YPC. There were 27 rushing plays and only 19 pass plays, 2 of those ending in sacks. Those 2 sacks were for 15 yards, so the Bears net passing yards was actually 48 yards. So only 146 net yards total, for an average of 3.2 yards per offensive play. In whole, it was a total domination by our D.

Just for the sake of a comparison, according to PFF, the Bears offense is ranked #24 while the Seahawks offense is ranked #28. The Bears offense had 402 net yards against the Packers...and not all of that was because of Cutler, who is really not much better than Clausen...Forte ran for 141 yards against the Packers.

Against the Cards, the Bears had 335 net yards ( the Cards had only 300 net yards). Only 109 yards rushing...Cutler was injured in the 2nd quarter, and Clausen basically threw for 121 yards in just the second half, twice as many yards as he threw for in 4 quarters against the Hawks. Extrapolated over a full game, Clausen would have had 242 passing yards against the Cards. Of course, because the Cards ended the game with 48 points, it forced the Bears offense to pass a LOT more than they would have otherwise.

The Bears have probably had the toughest schedule in the NFL for these first 3 weeks. I would say that some of the Hawks performance on D improved for two reasons: some of it was facing Clausen, and some of it was the return of Kam...Kam had only one tackle assist, but I believe his presence helped the psyche of the entire defense.

ilikedlargent

Reaction score
Perspective? They played 2 weak offensive units and lost to one. It means they aren't that good. It's pretty simple math.

Candy coat as you like but this going to be a down year.
Not to mention hamstrings don't heal overnight

massari

Reaction score
kearly":29grmk2n said:
I've been really impressed with Kris Richard's management of the defense so far. I seriously can't recall a blitz where he immediately regretted calling it. He always seems to know the right time to blitz.

I don't know how much it matters, but I think the players love Richard more than his predecessors. I think he's a player's coach. I know it was a shutout today, but I thought it was telling when Richard got the Gatorade treatment at the end of the game by his players.

I hope he doesn't get hired away after just one year. But with the defense playing pretty well again, and Dan Quinn getting the Falcons out to a 3-0 start and looking like a coach of the year candidate, I think Richard's going to draw a LOT of interest this next offseason.

Let's hope Gus Bradley is still fresh in their minds.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
ilikedlargent":vqpp6ssl said:
Perspective? They played 2 weak offensive units and lost to one. It means they aren't that good. It's pretty simple math.

In overtime . . . in the season opener . . . without Kam Chancellor . . . with a botched kickoff in OT that led to a field goal . . . with a brand new offensive line . . . against the best defensive line in football . . . at St. Louis where we always struggle.

Were you saying this in 2013 when we went to OT against two terrible offensive teams -- Tampa Bay and Houston?

hawker84

Reaction score
Willyeye":stmvfduh said:
hawker84":stmvfduh said:
I was happy with the defensive effort as well for the most part, a shut out against any NFL opponent is impressive indeed, but I'm curious to know what Forte's average was. Seems like he was ripping off 4, 5 yards every carry. This has been done to us by Cunningham in STL, and Starks in GB as well in the first two weeks, in which neither team has a top tier O line, and now by Chicago, who's line is subpar.. Would like to see the D line play the run a little better moving forward.. I guess I'm just not seeing that attacking ball hawking defense I've been accustomed to over the last 3 years? Really liking what I'm seeing from Hill, seems like the run defense got better with him in there. Now with the injury to Mebane, we're going to need him to play like that week in and week out.

Forte rushed for 74 yards on 20 carries for an average of 3.7 YPC. In total, the Bears ran for 98 yards on 27 carries for 3.6 YPC. There were 27 rushing plays and only 19 pass plays, 2 of those ending in sacks. Those 2 sacks were for 15 yards, so the Bears net passing yards was actually 48 yards. So only 146 net yards total, for an average of 3.2 yards per offensive play. In whole, it was a total domination by our D.

Just for the sake of a comparison, according to PFF, the Bears offense is ranked #24 while the Seahawks offense is ranked #28. The Bears offense had 402 net yards against the Packers...and not all of that was because of Cutler, who is really not much better than Clausen...Forte ran for 141 yards against the Packers.

Against the Cards, the Bears had 335 net yards ( the Cards had only 300 net yards). Only 109 yards rushing...Cutler was injured in the 2nd quarter, and Clausen basically threw for 121 yards in just the second half, twice as many yards as he threw for in 4 quarters against the Hawks. Extrapolated over a full game, Clausen would have had 242 passing yards against the Cards. Of course, because the Cards ended the game with 48 points, it forced the Bears offense to pass a LOT more than they would have otherwise.

The Bears have probably had the toughest schedule in the NFL for these first 3 weeks. I would say that some of the Hawks performance on D improved for two reasons: some of it was facing Clausen, and some of it was the return of Kam...Kam had only one tackle assist, but I believe his presence helped the psyche of the entire defense.

Ah ok, thanks for the info... looks much better when you see the actual numbers...

Chapow

Reaction score
ilikedlargent":3ayewrzm said:

They lost to the Rams in St. Louis last year too which put them at 3-3 after week 7. This board was overrun with posts exactly like yours at that time. I guess they weren't that good last year either then, right? After all, it's pretty simple math.

Perspective.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They can only play the team that is in front of them. They were expected to win big, and they did.
After they beat the Lions, will it be "well, they are 0-3 and it's a home game"
How dare we get excited about a win :mrgreen:

ilikedlargent

Reaction score
hawknation2015":eczcqqxm said:
ilikedlargent":eczcqqxm said:

In overtime . . . in the season opener . . . without Kam Chancellor . . . with a botched kickoff in OT that led to a field goal . . . with a brand new offensive line . . . against the best defensive line in football . . . at St. Louis where we always struggle.

Were you saying this in 2013 when we went to OT against two terrible offensive teams -- Tampa Bay and Houston?

Who was dumb enough to try an onside in the first place?
You can try to compare,contrast all you want. This team will not succeed this year. They are just part of the middle-pack. The unbelievable story has already happened. It's now someone else's turn

hawknation2015

Reaction score
ilikedlargent":2j9v8kx9 said:
hawknation2015":2j9v8kx9 said:
ilikedlargent":2j9v8kx9 said:

You can try to compare,contrast all you want. This team will not succeed this year. They are just part of the middle-pack. The unbelievable story has already happened. It's now someone else's turn

It was actually supposed to be a pooch kick that Hauschka says he did not execute.

I just think it's hilarious that you are giving up on a season after Week 3. Is that smart?

OP
OP
Seahawk Sailor

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
ilikedlargent":l0u3ecwm said:
hawknation2015":l0u3ecwm said:
ilikedlargent":l0u3ecwm said:

Wasn't an onside kick. Looked like it because it was a botched pooch kick that was supposed to just clear the front row of blockers and end up in the lap of an offensive tackle, which could have been an absolute disaster for the other guys were it to have been kicked right.

The perspective in this win was that we were supposed to dominate the Bears defensively, and we did, to some pretty eye-popping numbers. Their longest drive was 47 yards. Their second longest was 37. Aside from those two grueling treks across the Oregon Trail by the Bears' offense, they barely mustered double digits on any of the remaining drives, and had at least a couple end in negative yardage. Every single attempt of theirs ended in "You have died of dysentery".

I guess some folks really would kick a supermodel outta bed for eating crackers.

ilikedlargent

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1yozk04v said:
ilikedlargent":1yozk04v said:
hawknation2015":1yozk04v said:
ilikedlargent":1yozk04v said:

Not to mention eal overnight

In overtime . . . in the season opener . . . without Kam Chancellor . . . with a botched kickoff in OT that led to a field goal . . . with a brand new offensive line . . . against the best defensive line in football . offensive teams -- Tampa Bay and Houston?

It was actually supposed to be a pooch kick that Hauschka says he did not execute.

I just think it's hilarious that you are giving up on a season after Week 3. Is that smart?

Who cares whether it ls called a pooch or onside? It was a dumb idea

I'm a football fan,not a exclusive Seahawks fan. I've watched football for 35 years and know how it ebs and flows.
I already know they wont be as good this year. It's not hard to figure out. They might have a good regular season and you'll see exciting moments but this time the so called luck runs out. Player holds out,another player injured,weak offensive line ,Russell thinks he's some mystic christian etc. I've seen this story before 100 times already.
Enjoy football for what it is but there is no championship this year

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3vht6o40 said:
ilikedlargent":3vht6o40 said:
hawknation2015":3vht6o40 said:
ilikedlargent":3vht6o40 said:
Perspective?
Not to mention eal overnight

In overtime . . . in the season opener . . . without Kam Chancellor . . . with a botched kickoff in OT that led to a field goal . . . with a brand new offensive line . . . against the best defensive line in football . offensive teams -- Tampa Bay and Houston?

I'm a football fan,not a exclusive Seahawks fan. I've watched football for 35 years and know how it ebs and flows.
I already know they wont be as good this year. It's not hard to figure out. They might have a good regular season and you'll see exciting moments but this time the so called luck runs out. Player holds out,another player injured,weak offensive line ,Russell thinks he's some mystic christian etc. I've seen this story before 100 times already.
Enjoy football for what it is but there is no championship this year[/quote]
Go ahead and shake your Magic 8 Ball again for us, please.

ilikedlargent

Reaction score
?[/quote]

Enjoy football for what it is but there is no championship this year[/quote]
Go ahead and shake your Magic 8 Ball again for us, please.[/quote]

You are the one believing in fantasies at this point.