OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Maulbert":xyx5ys0h said:
5_Golden_Rings":xyx5ys0h said:
RiverDog":xyx5ys0h said:
Maulbert":xyx5ys0h said:
I do agree GQ hasn't had a meaningful situation yet, the thing is, while Wilson CLEARLY was better than Flynn in 2012 (Which turned out in the long run to not mean anything at all) I didn't really start believing Wilson had 'IT' until he willed the team to victory over Chicago in December of his rookie year. When he led the comeback against the Patriots in October, I thought it was great, but that could easily have been a fluke. They were at home with the crowd behind them, and Brady had his first multi-pick game in literal SEASONS.

In Chicago, he led a 97 yard TD drive in under 4 minutes on the road that should have been a game winner, except Richard Sherman gave up a 56 yard completion to Brandon Marshall which allowed the Bears to send the game into overtime. He then led them on an 80 yard drive in OT that ended the game with a TD. That was when I knew he had 'IT'. GQ hasn't stayed healthy long enough to have that moment, even if you like his play. Health is part of 'IT', and Jimmy has not shown even an iota of proof that he can stay healthy. He couldn't even stay healthy for 4 games in New England during Brady's suspension in 2016.

It is not my recollection that Russell was "clearly" playing above Flynn in the 2012 preseason. As a matter of fact, until he got hurt, Flynn was getting most of the work with the first team offense both in practice and in the preseason games. The argument against Russell was that his preseason success was coming as a result of playing against 2nd and 3rd string opposition while Flynn was playing against the starters. I do think that Russell would have still gotten the nod even if Flynn remained healthy but it was far from a clear cut decision.

But I do agree with you regarding the Chicago game. That's the point at which I jumped on the Russell bandwagon and haven't left it since. Up until then, I had rationalized his success, along with that of RG3 and Kaepernick, as being part of the read option fad and that defenses would eventually figure it out.
When I watched those preseason games, it looked like to me that the Seahawk offense was moving better. Flynn was missing easy passes and holding the ball. In fact, I blame Flynn in part for Owens getting cut. He missed him several times, or didn't quite lead him enough. Wilson, on the other hand, promptly converted a 3rd and 17 in his first drive in the second preseason game. The offense looked more chaotic, but it moved better based on what I remember.

It was JUST the preseason, and while Wilson had a great game against KC, I never put too much stock in them (also, KC turned out to be atrocious in 2012, they were 2-14), but yes, it was quite clear the offense played better under Wilson than Flynn. The one thing I will say, however, was that Owens wasn't going to make the team, anyway. He was still good, no doubt about that, but he was well past the point where his attitude and reputation as a diva weren't worth his production. When Buffalo and Cincinnati don't want you, you're done.

To some hawks fans:
Wilson = too short, not black enough, game manager.

To most 9ers fans:
GQ = second coming of Brady, did ya see that quick release? Ya didn’t? Ok I got it ya were focusing on his face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
toffee":1sqydlq6 said:
Maulbert":1sqydlq6 said:
5_Golden_Rings":1sqydlq6 said:
RiverDog":1sqydlq6 said:
It is not my recollection that Russell was "clearly" playing above Flynn in the 2012 preseason. As a matter of fact, until he got hurt, Flynn was getting most of the work with the first team offense both in practice and in the preseason games. The argument against Russell was that his preseason success was coming as a result of playing against 2nd and 3rd string opposition while Flynn was playing against the starters. I do think that Russell would have still gotten the nod even if Flynn remained healthy but it was far from a clear cut decision.

But I do agree with you regarding the Chicago game. That's the point at which I jumped on the Russell bandwagon and haven't left it since. Up until then, I had rationalized his success, along with that of RG3 and Kaepernick, as being part of the read option fad and that defenses would eventually figure it out.
When I watched those preseason games, it looked like to me that the Seahawk offense was moving better. Flynn was missing easy passes and holding the ball. In fact, I blame Flynn in part for Owens getting cut. He missed him several times, or didn't quite lead him enough. Wilson, on the other hand, promptly converted a 3rd and 17 in his first drive in the second preseason game. The offense looked more chaotic, but it moved better based on what I remember.

It was JUST the preseason, and while Wilson had a great game against KC, I never put too much stock in them (also, KC turned out to be atrocious in 2012, they were 2-14), but yes, it was quite clear the offense played better under Wilson than Flynn. The one thing I will say, however, was that Owens wasn't going to make the team, anyway. He was still good, no doubt about that, but he was well past the point where his attitude and reputation as a diva weren't worth his production. When Buffalo and Cincinnati don't want you, you're done.

To some hawks fans:
Wilson = too short, not black enough, game manager.

To most 9ers fans:
GQ = second coming of Brady, did ya see that quick release? Ya didn’t? Ok I got it ya were focusing on his face.

Almost NO ONE thinks he's the second coming of Brady. Most 49ers fans think his ceiling is a Pro Bowler and possible MVP consideration while his floor is gone in a season. As for his quick release, it is an objective fact.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Hey, when pretty boy wins a game that actually matters w/something on the line......I'll believe he's the real deal.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well he has yet to match Matt Cassells career let alone Brady, where is Cassell these days.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
chris98251":21npk57l said:
Well he has yet to match Matt Cassells career let alone Brady, where is Cassell these days.

99% in 9ers’ nation luv them some GQ, he is the all in one team savior and bedside picture frame filler.

xray

Reaction score
Marvin49":1hd2f5a9 said:
Um......no.

There is no controversy. Jimmy G is the QB.

Mullins in in a competition for the #2 QB role.

People need to just stop. I was pleasantly surprised by Mullins, but please. Its not close. Don't quote their stats to me.

That's a guy who came in at mid-season in a trade and started games without even knowing the offense vs a guy who had spend 1.5 years in the offense before his first start.

I also noted that the win-loss record wasn't quoted.

I wish the media would stop creating controversy where there isn't any. Jimmy is the QB. Period.

He hasn't played enough to crown him or trash him. Injuries happen and he might go several years without them too . As far as talent ; he wouldn't be a QB in the NFL without it . He will be the starter and he might be good ...I just hope not too good ; because of having to play them twice each season . :snack:

Marvin49

Reaction score
toffee":fhs08wps said:
chris98251":fhs08wps said:

99% in 9ers’ nation luv them some GQ, he is the all in one team savior and bedside picture frame filler.

Honestly I think what reasonable 49er fans would tell you is that he looked very promising in 2017 and really looked like he could be the guy...and by that I mean he could be a very good NFL QB. That doesn't mean they think he'll be Tom Brady.

Last year a number of factors played into him not performing as well, some of which were on him and some of them were not.

What really hurt tho with that injury was not that they should have been a playoff/super bowl team last year, its that the 49ers lost that time to work with him to become a cohesive offense. There is still a learning curve in Shanahans Offense.

Lets be real though, if the Seahawks didn't have Wilson and they had Jimmy in the exact same scenario, they would be every bit as high on him as 49ers fans are.

Marvin49

Reaction score
xray":1z6l9e9e said:
Marvin49":1z6l9e9e said:
Um......no.

There is no controversy. Jimmy G is the QB.

Mullins in in a competition for the #2 QB role.

People need to just stop. I was pleasantly surprised by Mullins, but please. Its not close. Don't quote their stats to me.

That's a guy who came in at mid-season in a trade and started games without even knowing the offense vs a guy who had spend 1.5 years in the offense before his first start.

I also noted that the win-loss record wasn't quoted.

I wish the media would stop creating controversy where there isn't any. Jimmy is the QB. Period.

He hasn't played enough to crown him or trash him. Injuries happen and he might go several years without them too . As far as talent ; he wouldn't be a QB in the NFL without it . He will be the starter and he might be good ...I just hope not too good ; because of having to play them twice each season . :snack:

Totally fair, but that doesn't mean 49er fans don't like what they've seen from limited playing time. Its not a slam dunk either way, but this narrative that Jimmy isn't the starter is ludicrous.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Marvin49":3g323ovb said:
Lets be real though, if the Seahawks didn't have Wilson and they had Jimmy in the exact same scenario, they would be every bit as high on him as 49ers fans are.

Maybe, but if GQ were a Seahawk, and Wilson, were a 49er, I wouldn't be stupid enough to go onto the webzone and claim GQ is already better than Wilson, like a certain witless wonder on here.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Maulbert":24c3hvnf said:
Marvin49":24c3hvnf said:

Maybe, but if GQ were a Seahawk, and Wilson, were a 49er, I wouldn't be stupid enough to go onto the webzone and claim GQ is already better than Wilson, like a certain witless wonder on here.

uh.....can't speak for whomever said THAT, but that would be a dubious claim. LOL.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Marvin49":22716ltf said:
Maulbert":22716ltf said:
Marvin49":22716ltf said:

uh.....can't speak for whomever said THAT, but that would be a dubious claim. LOL.

NINEster tried to claim it.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Looks like Florio isn’t making the homer Niner fans “approved sportswriters list” this year. 8)

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Maulbert":110tdzaf said:
Sports Hernia":110tdzaf said:
Add Florio to the “NOT approved” sportswriters list. 8)

Loathe though I am to agree with a Niner fan, Florio is one of the worst about spinning lies out of whole cloth for quick clicks.
There’s a story going back years relating to my post/edited post, has very little to do with Florin who is a joke.
Some posters here that are Niners fans had a list of sportswriters that they didn’t like because they wouldn’t kiss the Niners org’s ass. These sportswriters not on the “approved” list would write about the Harbaugh/Jed York fued and the homers didn’t like it. That’s where/when the “approved sports writers” list was born.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2tebiifb said:
Maulbert":2tebiifb said:
Sports Hernia":2tebiifb said:

Loathe though I am to agree with a Niner fan, Florio is one of the worst about spinning lies out of whole cloth for quick clicks.
There’s a story going back years relating to my post/edited post, has very little to do with Florin who is a joke.
Some posters here that are Niners fans had a list of sportswriters that they didn’t like because they wouldn’t kiss the Niners org’s ass. These sportswriters not on the “approved” list would write about the Harbaugh/Jed York fued and the homers didn’t like it. That’s where/when the “approved sports writers” list was born.

On 9ers forums, almost all sports writers local or national are not approved, the approved list is short, mostly beat writers that kissed the organization for living.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2e5d24k0 said:
Maulbert":2e5d24k0 said:
Sports Hernia":2e5d24k0 said:

I know all about Kawakami and the approved list. I'm just saying Florio genuinely kind of sucks.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
toffee":1ldgncwi said:
Florio is an idiot. If the 49ers move on from Garoppolo next year, HELL will freeze over before they trade for Cousins. His contract is prohibitive. If Garoppolo does so bad that the 49ers decide to get rid of him, they'll be drafting high enough to acquire a new QB anyway. No way they trade draft capital for Cousins. The only way Cousins ends up on the 49ers in the situation where the 49ers move on from Garoppolo is if the Vikings cut him... which won't happen because of his contract guarantee.

Maulbert

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":29xcpc98 said:
toffee":29xcpc98 said:
Florio is an idiot. If the 49ers move on from Garoppolo next year, HELL will freeze over before they trade for Cousins. His contract is prohibitive. If Garoppolo does so bad that the 49ers decide to get rid of him, they'll be drafting high enough to acquire a new QB anyway. No way they trade draft capital for Cousins. The only way Cousins ends up on the 49ers in the situation where the 49ers move on from Garoppolo is if the Vikings cut him... which won't happen because of his contract guarantee.

I don't deny I'm in the non-believer camp in regards to GQ, but yeah, trading for Cousins would just be stupid. He has good numbers, but has shown zero capability of picking up a team and carrying them.