Quarterback options for 2024

Ozzy

Reaction score
This will probably be a shocker but if finances allow it my take is Geno and a first rounder. Almost perfect situation. Geno can play well (I think they figured some stuff out last week with their WR/TE that will help a ton moving forward) and you finally groom your guy for the future. Daniels, Penix, Rattler, Ewers if he comes out whoever they scout and love.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
This will probably be a shocker but if finances allow it my take is Geno and a first rounder. Almost perfect situation. Geno can play well (I think they figured some stuff out last week with their WR/TE that will help a ton moving forward) and you finally groom your guy for the future. Daniels, Penix, Rattler, Ewers if he comes out whoever they scout and love.
Geno's cap hit is prohibitive for 2024. Could rejigger Geno's deal to push some cap hit into 2025, where we look to be a bit more flexible after the likely future savings the cuts this offseason will garner.

I would tend to agree that I'd want the new dude on the bench for a bit figuring stuff out unless he "Russell Wilson 2012 preseasons" it.

I really, really hope they can secure a guy. If not... welp. Could be worse, but I'd love it this year.

mistaowen

Reaction score
JS has a terrific eye for QB talent, so I think the plan needs to be taking someone with an early day pick that he really likes and allow Geno to hold the job another year while he learns. That is unless we get another Russ situation and the guy clearly doesn't need a year to learn. All of Pete's interviews regarding Drew Lock give me the impression the FO really wants him to become the guy but I just don't know if the mental piece ever happens for him unfortunately.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Holy crap. The way Browning is playing I would rather him than some of those FA QBs that you listed. That is a terrifying list of mediocrity + cost.

I'd rather just suck for 2-3 years and draft a QBOTF every year until we hit on one. If we see Penix is available though, and don't pull the trigger on him - that is going to be a mistake.

I'd rather have him than Nix or JD (haven't seen enough of Maye to know better but neither of those guys will be someone you want to hitch your team to).
What I do know is that when Penix needs to make a play, he does. Those two don't. (The downside is Penix struggles on grass or in inclement weather)

Either way, roll the die every year on a QB until you get one.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Who ever the QB is, he needs to have a quick release.. Needs to be able to spot someone open withen 1.4 secs. Our line cannot contain anyone and our previous QB's are and have been slow to setup and throw.

GemCity

Reaction score
If Pete is still here and remaining for the foreseeable future, McCarthy.

Jegpeg

Reaction score
Geno's cap hit is prohibitive for 2024. Could rejigger Geno's deal to push some cap hit into 2025, where we look to be a bit more flexible after the likely future savings the cuts this offseason will garner.

I would tend to agree that I'd want the new dude on the bench for a bit figuring stuff out unless he "Russell Wilson 2012 preseasons" it.

I really, really hope they can secure a guy. If not... welp. Could be worse, but I'd love it this year.
According to over the cap Geno's cap number next season in $31.2m if he is cut dead money is $17.4m so effectively Geno would cost us under $14m, we could split the dead cap into 2025 but that is just making things worse for 2025. $31m cap hit on a QB is not prohibitive, I think we are better off making cap space by cutting the likes of Diggs, Adams and Disley.

Drafting a QB is a lottery even with a high pick, with a 1st round pick outside the top 5 or so while whilew we might luck out on a Lamar Jackson or a Mahomes we are far more likely to get a liability like Manziel, Haskins, Mac Jones, Lynch, Pondar, or Weeden.

WarHawks

Reaction score
According to over the cap Geno's cap number next season in $31.2m if he is cut dead money is $17.4m so effectively Geno would cost us under $14m, we could split the dead cap into 2025 but that is just making things worse for 2025. $31m cap hit on a QB is not prohibitive, I think we are better off making cap space by cutting the likes of Diggs, Adams and Disley.

Drafting a QB is a lottery even with a high pick, with a 1st round pick outside the top 5 or so while whilew we might luck out on a Lamar Jackson or a Mahomes we are far more likely to get a liability like Manziel, Haskins, Mac Jones, Lynch, Pondar, or Weeden.
Top five is a crapshoot too. Just keep picking until you get a keeper.

Jegpeg

Reaction score
Top five is a crapshoot too. Just keep picking until you get a keeper.
Agreed, We could trade our 2024 and 2025 1st rounders to move up high enough to get a Zach Wilson or a Trey Lance.

Keep picking till you get a keeper sounds like what the Browns and Jets did for years until they gave up and got Watson and Rodgers respectively (not that that is going well for them either)

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Yes, in fact since the draft is such a crap shoot we should trade every pick every year and just sign free agents. Especially at QB. LOL

Jegpeg

Reaction score
Yes, in fact since the draft is such a crap shoot we should trade every pick every year and just sign free agents. Especially at QB. LOL
If they are a free agent they don't cost any picks, just a load of cap space.

The OP pretty much summed up all the options. Unlike most of the people on this thread I know less than John and Pete as to which is the best option to go with.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Spencer Rattler should be on the list.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Why? He is for sure getting punched by a teammate in the nfl.

At this point we should trade DK, this year 1 and next years 1 to move up and get Williams. Who for some reason has fallen down mock draft boards.
Watch some tape from this year. He's been really impressive.

jeremiah

Reaction score
Penix is a special dude.
I like Nix too. He may need open receivers, and great blocking though. I'll leave it to the coaches. I'd keep Lock or Geno, not paying top dollar is my first concern, and draft a great player. I hope it isn't PC still coaching, please NO NO NO...not PC

BigBill1945

Reaction score
Wishful thinking if we think we have a chance at any of these guys. What are we going to bargain for? We will not be in place to grab anyone that high with our poor position in the draft. I guess we could do some kind of trade. We have not done well with the last two years.