Queen and Brooks

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
There was a lot of discussion about which of these would be the better LBer when they were drafted, and now we could have both. I haven't followed Queen's game at Baltimore much, just heard generally positive rumblings every now and then. Brooks has had his shining moments, but the highs have not been that high, nor too many moments in the doghouse, either.

What would this look like having them side-by-side?

kidhawk

Reaction score
I think they’ll go after Queen but although he’s younger he’s not really much of an improvement in the passing game. Brooks has proven he can’t play well without Bobby next to him. I’d rather see him get overpaid elsewhere.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Listening to a podcast yesterday. Solar said that Brooks was better in coverage and probably comes cheaper.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I've heard 2 opinions on Queen too. Some questioning if his play improved cause of Smith coming to play beside and what he can do in his own. Others say his play picked up in its own. I guess with the news that Bobby is probably gone, I would be shocked if we don't end up with one of the 2.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
There was a lot of discussion about which of these would be the better LBer when they were drafted, and now we could have both. I haven't followed Queen's game at Baltimore much, just heard generally positive rumblings every now and then. Brooks has had his shining moments, but the highs have not been that high, nor too many moments in the doghouse, either.

Queen played his best along side Roquan Smith the speculation is will he keep his play up if he switches teams. I do feel that MM will know him best

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I will preface by saying that whatever Mac wants is alright with me.

That said, I'd rather have Brooks. He's cheaper and I like his body type better.

It's probably not great process to buy high on guys at a devalued position who only became acceptable NFL players when plopped next to likely the best off-ball LB in the league and coached by the hottest young defensive phenom to come out at all in the past few years.

It feels like we can only really be disappointed by that type of thing unless Queen comes in way under expectations contract-wise.

Last edited:

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
It would look like a mistake, since both of these guys play the same spot right now and neither has looked good stepping into the true Mike LB role.

Now, obviously, Macdonald coming from Baltimore, he's going to have far more of an inside scoop on Queen than any fan on this board but from where I sit, Brooks at $11M per seems like better value than Queen at $18.5M per which is kind of what the 'expected' contract is going to be for both guys.

I would rather we resign Brooks and look for a Bobby replacement in FA rather than spending a ton more money for not much of an upgrade over Jordyn. (Josey Jewell on a 2 year deal seems interesting to me.)

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think they’ll go after Queen but although he’s younger he’s not really much of an improvement in the passing game. Brooks has proven he can’t play well without Bobby next to him. I’d rather see him get overpaid elsewhere.

I thought Queen has much better coverage grades than Brooks?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
They both seem pedestrian. If it's one or the other, take the cheaper of the two. If Queen is acquired and they both play together, chances are the results aren't going to be good.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
They both seem pedestrian. If it's one or the other, take the cheaper of the two. If Queen is acquired and they both play together, chances are the results aren't going to be good.
Queen has been worse than pedestrian for his entire career outside of his run under Mac with Roquan next to him.

With that said... I wonder if we can't just lean on Mac's specialty with linebackers and go cheaper at the spot? Rely on that expertise to develop studs for less investment?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Queen has been worse than pedestrian for his entire career outside of his run under Mac with Roquan next to him.

With that said... I wonder if we can't just lean on Mac's specialty with linebackers and go cheaper at the spot? Rely on that expertise to develop studs for less investment?

Brooks was awful without Wagner too. *shrug*

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe move on and develop youth and a FA. We'll see.

Fresno Hawk

Reaction score
Rather have Brooks back, and see if Mike can get his full potential to come out.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Brooks was awful without Wagner too. *shrug*

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe move on and develop youth and a FA. We'll see.
I don't know enough about the Ravens to know if Queen was in a similar spot, but Brooks was playing Bobby's spot when Wagner was gone as well as in an entirely new defensive scheme from the previous season.

So, yeah, he stunk without Wagner but there was more to it than just not having Bobby there.

BASF

Reaction score
I don't know enough about the Ravens to know if Queen was in a similar spot, but Brooks was playing Bobby's spot when Wagner was gone as well as in an entirely new defensive scheme from the previous season.

So, yeah, he stunk without Wagner but there was more to it than just not having Bobby there.
I would like to point out that the "entirely new defensive scheme" was from a man in over his head trying to run a scheme that had already been figured out as demonstrated by the other (IIRC eight) disciples of Vic Fangio that season who had been hired elsewhere had their defenses finish in the bottom ten. Brooks never stood a chance in that position.

12forlife

Reaction score
I think with all the holes we have to fill, I hope we resign Brooks & sign Luvu, and maybe draft a LB that slips to the 4th-5th rd for depth.
Then sign Safties Ryan Neil & Geno Stone. Then sign DL Wilkins or resign Williams.
That should get our Defense headed in the right direction

OP
OP
Ad Hawk

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
If we pick up a new MLB, what is the best round for a quality starter to push Brooks? Bobby was a 1st-round pick in the 4th... that doesn't happen often.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
If we pick up a new MLB, what is the best round for a quality starter to push Brooks? Bobby was a 1st-round pick in the 4th... that doesn't happen often.
Junior Colson in the second/early third (will need to trade down to acquire some capital or trade up, most likely), Cedric Gray in the third, Jaylon Ford in the fourth/fifth all good options

Latest posts