Quinn or Fangio?

RichNhansom

Reaction score
This seems like a no brainer. Fangio has been with the Niners for 3 years now and delivered a #3, #4 and #5 overall defense in that time. There is no question the strength of that team has been it's defense and Harbaugh is an offensive minded coach so you can't even question is it is because of Jimmy.

Quinn has one year with the Seahawks and has delivered the #1 overall defense but he took over a very dominant defense from last year that ranked #4 overall and had every reason to believe it could improve with key returning players, some key FA signings and added experience of existing players. It is pretty obvious this is Pete's defense as he has a very long history of defensive success and is a defensive minded coach.

I still can't get over how Jacksonville went after Bradley when Fangio was available. Bradley was heading up a garbage defense before Pete arrived and Fangio was already producing a top level defense from the day he took over in San Fran. There should have been no question that Bradley's success was in part due to Pete and Fangio's was solely based on his own ability.

If your an NFL GM who would you consider? From what I am reading it looks like Quinn is already drawing interest but I haven't read or heard anything suggesting Fangio is in any head offices discussions.

I really don't get why you would poach a DC away from a defensive mastermind like Pete and ignore a proven defensive success story that is obviously the reason for that defensive success away from an offensive minded coach? Are GM's just dumb?

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
Word is Fangio doesn't want to be an HC.

He's going to be the next Dick LeBeau

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Fangio wasn't available. Harbaugh and the Niners would not allow Fangio to talk with teams until after the Bowl, Bradley got the job in January.

themunn

Reaction score
I don't think Harbaugh would allow Fangio to interview during the postseason, whereas a lot of GMs want a new guy in ASAP

OP
OP
R

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1iyv7lms said:
Fangio wasn't available. Harbaugh and the Niners would not allow Fangio to talk with teams until after the Bowl, Bradley got the job in January.

Good point Scott. He will be available much earlier this year though. :D

AgentDib

Reaction score
The best coordinators do not always make the best head coaches. Bradley was regarded very well not just for his football capabilities but also for his demeanor and overall leadership.

As you say, Jim Harbaugh is an offensive guy and is not contributing much to the 49ers defense in terms of X's and O's. Yet when Harbaugh showed up the 49ers run defense tightened up and allowed 21% fewer rushing yards than the season before. He brought direction and intangibles that Singletary just did not have and it transformed the 49ers to a team that played up to their potential.

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
AgentDib":1ihla9or said:
The best coordinators do not always make the best head coaches. Bradley was regarded very well not just for his football capabilities but also for his demeanor and overall leadership.

As you say, Jim Harbaugh is an offensive guy and is not contributing much to the 49ers defense in terms of X's and O's. Yet when Harbaugh showed up the 49ers run defense tightened up and allowed 21% fewer rushing yards than the season before. He brought direction and intangibles that Singletary just did not have and it transformed the 49ers to a team that played up to their potential.
have you seen a Vic Fangio press conference? the guy is super impressive. Everyone in the media loves him. I definitely think Fangio would make an incredible HC, but, again, there has been reports that Vic isn't interested in being an HC. He doesn't want to have all of that responsibility at this point in his life.

Plus, he works with a HoF in Patrick Willis and has a talented core of players on D. I think he is fine going the Dick LaBeau route at this point in his life.

Also, there was an additional report that the 49ers assistant coaches are the highest paid in the league. he seems like he is in a good situation

OP
OP
R

RichNhansom

Reaction score
SoHo9erFan":32i4uryk said:

Yeah I think your getting your "word" from the webzone. I doubt any coordinator wants to just stay as such while passing up the opportunity to be a head coach along with a nice fat pay raise.

I understand Donatell is getting some interest and his contract expires soon also. Any other coaches you think might be leaving the bay area?

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
RichNhansom":3bzaduoi said:
SoHo9erFan":3bzaduoi said:

Yeah I think your getting your "word" from the webzone. I doubt any coordinator wants to just stay as such while passing up the opportunity to be a head coach along with a nice fat pay raise.

I understand Donatell is getting some interest and his contract expires soon also. Any other coaches you think might be leaving the bay area?
No, this was from a tweet by Tim Kawakami. a pretty insightful reported in the bay area.

anyways, there are reports that Jim Tomsula (our DLine coach) is getting HC recognition. Same with Greg Roman our OC.. our co-OLine coach (Tim Drevno) is leaving for USC to be the OLine coach there (Mike Solari is our true OLine coach so Drevno probably wants more autonomy)

OP
OP
R

RichNhansom

Reaction score
AgentDib":zqoh9ec4 said:

Fangio came with Harbaugh from Stanford so while it is nice to give Jim credit for the defensive improvements it is kind of hard to ignore that Fangio was in his first year there also. Based on Jimmy's resume I think it is a forgone conclusion that Fangio is the reason for that improvement, not Jimmy.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Last year, the Saints sought to interview Donatell for DC. The Niners blocked them from doing so, as league rules allow with non-coordinator coaches.

OP
OP
R

RichNhansom

Reaction score
SoHo9erFan":3julvnlv said:
RichNhansom":3julvnlv said:
SoHo9erFan":3julvnlv said:

No, this was from a tweet by Tim Kawakami. a pretty insightful reported in the bay area.

anyways, there are reports that Jim Tomsula (our DLine coach) is getting HC recognition. Same with Greg Roman our OC.. our co-OLine coach (Tim Drevno) is leaving for USC to be the OLine coach there (Mike Solari is our true OLine coach so Drevno probably wants more autonomy)

I wasn't aware of those reports. Only seen it mentioned on the webzone but without any reason to back it up. Still I would be surprised if he wasn't a little intrigued. Especially now with Justin Smith going to be 35 and Aldon looking like he may have a short NFL career, Willis getting up there in age, your entire secondary (with one exception) being FA's this off season and on and on, I could see him saying maybe now is a good time to move on. It could very easily become a much more difficult job if some of the new guys aren't capable of rising to allpro levels for replacement.

I don't see Drevno as a loss. Kind of like watching Bradley leave here. Solari has an impressive resume and the talent to pull off success with any assistant. Now if you lose talent then it is a bigger question. Solari did great in KC but in Seattle was a massive failure. The difference being the talent level. Seattle's O-line during Solari's time here didn't have a single starter that was starter quality and in fact the first year Pete came we pretty much shot putted the entire line and not a single player could find a starting gig anywhere in the league and a couple couldn't even land another NFL job as a back up.

Tomsula seems like he could be a big loss. Roman is kind of a mystery. Hard to say if you improve or decline without him but having a new OC might not be the best thing for Kaep right now so you got that going for you.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Well don't forget that the Niners coaches cannot be intereviewed yet because they are still playing.

Only because we are sitting out the first round of the playoffs do Bevell and Quinn get their shots to interview now.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":18seubhc said:
Well don't forget that the Niners coaches cannot be intereviewed yet because they are still playing.

Only because we are sitting out the first round of the playoffs do Bevell and Quinn get their shots to interview now.

I think the reference is to last year when they had a bye and still didn't allow interviews.

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
RichNhansom":wnk5tkvh said:
SoHo9erFan":wnk5tkvh said:
RichNhansom":wnk5tkvh said:
SoHo9erFan":wnk5tkvh said:

I wasn't aware of those reports. Only seen it mentioned on the webzone but without any reason to back it up. Still I would be surprised if he wasn't a little intrigued. Especially now with Justin Smith going to be 35 and Aldon looking like he may have a short NFL career, Willis getting up there in age, your entire secondary (with one exception) being FA's this off season and on and on, I could see him saying maybe now is a good time to move on. It could very easily become a much more difficult job if some of the new guys aren't capable of rising to allpro levels for replacement.

I don't see Drevno as a loss. Kind of like watching Bradley leave here. Solari has an impressive resume and the talent to pull off success with any assistant. Now if you lose talent then it is a bigger question. Solari did great in KC but in Seattle was a massive failure. The difference being the talent level. Seattle's O-line during Solari's time here didn't have a single starter that was starter quality and in fact the first year Pete came we pretty much shot putted the entire line and not a single player could find a starting gig anywhere in the league and a couple couldn't even land another NFL job as a back up.

Tomsula seems like he could be a big loss. Roman is kind of a mystery. Hard to say if you improve or decline without him but having a new OC might not be the best thing for Kaep right now so you got that going for you.
Spot on post. Except there are 2 starters in the secondary locked up long term (Brock and Reid).. But yeah, Justin Smith is getting up there and so is Willis.. Aldon Smith's future is up in the air and Tomsula would be a huge loss.

It would be devastating if we lost Fangio (Edit) By all accounts, Fangio has complete autonomy over the 49ers D, however, I also hear that Harbaugh is a great X's and O's guy on the defensive side of the ball. He's no PC obviously, but Harbaugh just understands football..

Plus, Fangio doesn't have that creative of a scheme. He relies on his talent more than most coordinators in the league-- he doesn't blitz

OP
OP
R

RichNhansom

Reaction score
The bulk of that talent was there before Fangio so I don't know if it is fair to say he relies on the talent completely. Even before him Singletary was obviously a defensive minded coach so it is not like he took over for someone with no resume.

I do question how Singletary affected the incoming coaching staff. I believe he had lost that team and in such a manor that the team was ready for anyone other than Mike. He tended to be over dramatic and a true disciplinarian while not seemingly having a problem with embarrassing players or himself and sometimes throwing players squarely under the bus. McCloughan had done an exceptional job finding talent and Mike proceeded to demoralize and undermine it. When Harbaugh and Fangio walked through the door, there was a ton of talent that had been disciplined to death and were waiting for someone to give them guidance. It really is amazing how quickly that team took off even with no off season to prepare. Kind of hard to believe that any coaching staff could really get that much performance increase from a team without some serious outside factors. Or maybe they are master hypnotists.

jamsomatic

Reaction score
Lol. When Gus wins a Super Bowl you all will say you always knew he was a great coach the underappreciatio for guys like Gus and Bevell around here is silly

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
RichNhansom":1xruwg9m said:
The bulk of that talent was there before Fangio so I don't know if it is fair to say he relies on the talent completely. Even before him Singletary was obviously a defensive minded coach so it is not like he took over for someone with no resume.
Not really true. There were 5 new starters on the Defensive side of the ball after Fangio took over (Bowman, Brooks, Rogers, McDonald, Whitner).. Sure, 3 of those 5 were already on the 49ers roster, but none of them were starters before Fangio took over. So I guess Fangio get's some praise for recognizing the unused talent, but, again, Fangio named those guys starters and implemented a pretty simple scheme. That's why it was easy for the D to start so well despite a lack of training camp.

OP
OP
R

RichNhansom

Reaction score
9 of 11 qualifies as the bulk. It makes sense that some positional changes would happen with a new coaching staff, it also makes sense that some of the previous starters were maybe beyond rehabilitation or just didn't buy in.

You are kind of making my argument though. Fangio didn't just rely on talent. He recognized under utilized talent as well as over rated talent. He simplified the schemes to help them execute and then emphasized gap control. I do think it was likely very helpful that the players were beyond ready for change and with some success early on it made it easy for them to buy in and believe they truly had been under utilized or under performing as well as believe they had the potential to be a top level unit. No matter how you slice it though, Fangio and McCloughan are the ones who deserves the bulk of the credit with Singletary having a backwards hand in it.

Latest posts